Your Developer Interview Druthers

(Locked)

When seeking design insights on new or upcoming content, what developer press interview format do you find most useful?

Text or Transcript
Audio
Audio: Podcast Episode
Audio and Transcript
Video
I don't pay attention to developer interviews
This poll has ended - Feb 20, 2013
What topics interest you most?

Lore would be my top interest. Although things like major system changes are always good to.

Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
Text can be read at my own pace and is a lot easier to reference at a later date.

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
MMO-champion and WoW Insider are my primary sources, although I also look at Wowhead on occasion.

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
I'd probably say WoW Insider, although that's a minor preference.

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
Depends on the subject at hand. If the QA has a very narrow focus, then a single developer answering the questions is fine. If it's a general QA session however, then multiple developers are probably better. No strong preference either way on the number of people asking the questions.
90 Worgen Warrior

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

• - Systems > Content (not interested in much else)
    - Text format >>> anything else; easiest and quickest way to parse and digest information
    - MMO-Champion and Wowhead
    - Most compelling interviews have come from the official site
    - One-on-one or multiple developers - both are great. Multiple people asking questions is horrid
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    02/06/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Zarhym
    I'm in the process of scheduling fansite interviews with our developers to cover patch 5.2 content and design, and I'm curious what formats and topics are most popular among the community. In addition to this simple poll on preferred format, please elaborate on what you think makes for a successful (or unsuccessful) interview.

Maybe it's because it's what interests me the most, but the systems and content dudes (<3 Ghostcrawler) are often the best when it comes to these fan interviews. I find myself wanting to ferret them out on multiple sites. Lore comes in second. The art interviews are generally very boring. Perhaps it's the questions or fansites that were chosen, and perhaps it's the content or subject. This, for example, was a dreadfully bland interview:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/01/25/wow-insiders-interview-with-nick-carpenter-vice-president-of-a/

Print articles / transcripts. I don't like podcasts--and even if someone does an interview on a podcast I'll tend to only read the transcript. Podcasts tend to fill time with needless fluff talking.

I might like to see.. however.. a Video interview / show in the style of Gamebreaker's Legendary: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/legendary-world-of-warcraft-show/
    90 Night Elf Rogue
    Text preferred. Easier to read if doing something else. Blue post or MMO, I guess. Don't really care what the content is.
    90 Night Elf Warrior
    I'm most interested in systems, encounters, and lore.

I prefer text as I like reading and spend a lot of time in front of a monitor at work.

I mostly get my WoW news from MMO-Champion. I don't really do podcasts. Occasional youtube vids from Lore, but that's about it.

I like one interviewer asking the questions(keeps it focused and allows for follow-through or question consolidation), although the questions can come from multiple sources(ie, forums). Multiple developers answering could be pretty cool, especially if they have different focuses and can offer a different perspective on why a decision was made or not made, but I have no real complaints if it's just one dev, although preferably it would be a lead or someone who communicates with multiple groups. I like information, what can I say? ;-)
    Edited by Thebusiness on 2/6/2013 12:49 PM PST
    90 Human Warrior
    What topics interest you most? RBG PVP. Ranged>Melee comps balance

Why do you prefer the format you voted on? This way I only read what I'm interested on.

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news? MMO champ

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past? ...

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions? As long as the subject I'm interest on is brought up it doesnt really matter who asks or who answers.
    90 Human Death Knight
    What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)

Systems, specifically long-term goals. I don't want to wait years for a solution to a problem only to discover it has serious flaws, but be stuck with them because they were developed in secret. Void storage IMO wasn't worth the development resources, especially if it delayed the development of a tabard or novelties tab.

Text. Glorious Ctrl-F searchable text. To be more specific, text with user participation. Reddit AMA is #1 in my book. Audio? Video? aintnobodygottimeforthat.jpg

MMO Champ. If Blizzard wants to do something serious for information distribution, it needs to make a new color (yellow maybe) for CM posts having to do with locking threads or banning posts and save "blue posting" for clearly informative posts.

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

The Reddit AMA was the only one I've ever bothered to read directly, other than transcripts made into blue posts and thus carried on MMO Champ.

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Dear God no to the one on one. That's the most innane boring interview ever. Nobody wants to piss off Blizzard so they softball everything. Multiple sources for questions is top. And I'd prefer multi to one developer rather than multi to multi so that we can attempt to narrow the focus and topic.
    Edited by Adrim on 2/6/2013 12:55 PM PST
    90 Human Mage
    For me Text is really good for me. However Audio I understand is more personal and we get to see the personality behind the developers and that is always good. However not all questions can be answered via audio.

Still would be nice to hear the Dev's voices every once and awhile. Oh and the Developer interviews are ALWAYS nice to see. I would love to hear from them more often. Anything

Systems
    Lore
    Mechanics

And so forth.

Thank you for continuing these Interviews. I enjoy them everytime you talk about them.
    90 Troll Mage

What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)

Exclusively for fansite interviews - future direction of MMOs in general and WoW in particular. WoW will complete 10 years on Nov 23rd 2014. The game has evolved a lot in 10 years. What do you think the game needs to last another 10 years? What's there in your blackboard of crazy?

I voted for text or text transcript for audio etc. Text is easy to digest, re-read and quote if required. Though if you are doing a fansite interview for WoW art, then a video presentation would be better.

mmochamp, wowhead, tanskspot and gamebreakertv. And of course Blizzard twitter feed (though twitter doesnt qualify as a fansite). A reddit AMA would be nice btw.

Dunno. Read everything WoW related on MMOchamp.

90 Troll Shaman
    Topics: Systems, content, encounters, lore

Format: The Podcast format gets a lot more little things out there, as the hosts all have different viewpoints, as well as it flowing better in a conversation.

Sites: Gamebreaker.tv, Tankspot, MMO-Champion

Compelling: Gamebreaker.tv, Tankspot. The recent GC interview on GBTV was better than all the rest that cycle, I got a lot more info out of it than any of the others. By extension, Lore and GC together really keeps things moving in a relevant direction, none of the the meandering that some other site interviews have.

Interview: Multiple interviewers, single interviewee at a time. Multiple interviewees, especially cross-discipline ones, can confuse the conversation.
    90 Goblin Mage
    One on one gives the best quality of answers and questions. I mostly use MMO Champion, WoW Insider and the Hunting Party podcast for my WoW news.
    1) Lore first and foremost, class changes after.

2) Text can be accessed anywhere, anytime without hassle and I read at my own speed instead of being "slowed down" by the speed of people talking. It also makes it easier to skim over topics that interest me least and go straight to what I care about (For example, I'll skip Hunters, Rogues etc. and go straight to mages and death knights).

3) This site, WoWhead News and WoW Insider

4) No answer

5) Multiple devs. Answers are usually more extensive and the insight is greater.
    Edited by Verunme on 2/6/2013 1:19 PM PST
    90 Undead Warlock
    Systems and their design intent is my no. 1. Lore is a close second; I really feel the universe is what sets WoW apart and I like to see it get some love.

In terms of sources, I hit Wowhead the most, but I'd be willing to go anywhere, so long as the existence of the interview is publicized on battle.net.

I prefer text to other formats, but I don't really care if it's stand alone or audio with a transcript. Text gives you the most freedom to re-read important or subtle bits of reasoning.
    90 Night Elf Rogue
    I'm a total lore nut. I'd like to see members of the quest design team talk about what goes into that and how much community input matters. Specifically, I'm thinking of whether they thought Cataclysm had a distinct lack of Alliance and if MoP is a conscious effort to change that.

Text is best because we can re-read the parts we're interested in.

MMO-Champion is the best way.

WoW Insider tends to be more in-depth with developers, though.

I like one-on-one, myself.
    90 Tauren Shaman
    I don't think they really address the issues that are on the forums. Its more of a PR thang, really.
    11 Draenei Paladin
    Why is yet another dev Q&A being held on a third party site? Do you despise your own venue so much?
    55 Dwarf Death Knight
    Text or transcript.

As for topics... that's whatever you guys want to tell us, but I'm mostly interested in what's coming next and future plans.
    90 Tauren Hunter
    I'm interested in game design and lore. Why you choose this mechanic or scenario or feature and where it may be going in the future. And I like the story and mysteries like what's buried in Tirisfal, where is Sargares, what's Ashara been up to lately.

I think a two part format: questions coming in via text, sorted, and then selected questions answered live via podcast, skype or whatever would be interesting. You'd get those visual cues, tone of voice cues that could really swing context out of the park in a way text only doesn't.
    1.What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
    A. System and encounters

2. Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
    A. Because i'm a spanish-speaking person, so it' s easier to translate when in text mode than in other formats.

3. What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
    A. MMO Champion

4. What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
    A. MMO champion

5. In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
    A. One on one for me.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]