Your Developer Interview Druthers

(Locked)

When seeking design insights on new or upcoming content, what developer press interview format do you find most useful?

Text or Transcript
Audio
Audio: Podcast Episode
Audio and Transcript
Video
I don't pay attention to developer interviews
This poll has ended - Feb 20, 2013
90 Human Warlock
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)

Lore

Why do you prefer the format you voted on?

It's easier to organize information when it's in text form. Audio is nice for intent/tone, but I'd prefer to read.

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?

battle.net and mmo-champion

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Multiple devs answering questions based on their specialty.
100 Night Elf Druid
There are two teams I would love to have see a Q & A from (each for different reasons).

I would love to hear from the art team (including music)! We don't hear much from them and I'd love to hear about the challenges of zone/continent design. For example:
Do you design the place first and then the quests have to be worked into the terrain or vice versa?
Do you worry about giving players scenery they want to come back to, or just let the story dictate how dark/scary/barren/ugly the zone is?
Why aren't the skies in Old Azeroth fully realized like the ones in Outland, Northrend, and Pandaria are?
Do the art and story teams get music to work with to inspire their creations or do the composers get to look at the artwork to get inspired?

The second team I'd like to hear from is QA. I've seen spotlights on different support staff members and departments, but I feel like QA are kind of the unsung heroes of WoW and deserve some face time. Perhaps a spotlight or Q & A with this team could help shed light on some of the common questions/misconceptions about the QA process that I often see bouncing about the forums. For example:
How do I know if this is a bug or intended function?
How do I know if it's the game or my computer?
Why are some problems hotfixed while others need patches?
Why do some bugs persist for months or years while others are fixed within hours?
What makes a good bug report?
When do I report a bug on the forums vs. in the game? Is one better than the other?
How much fun is it to solve everyone's problems all day every day?
Do you have a favorite random bug? (I'm partial to the Aura of Free Word Association myself)

I am aware neither of these teams really directly relate to 5.2, but I've been wanting to hear from them for awhile now so hopefully we'll hear from them soon.

I prefer text formats because I am a bit hard of hearing. If anyone has an accent or the sound quality isn't super great, it gets really frustrating to try to figure out what's being said. Even GC's interview with WoWcrendor had a couple spots I couldn't quite tell what was being said, if that gives you an idea.
It's also helpful to have the text so that I can directly quote the developer when answering player questions about a topic (or supporting my own point) here on the forums.

I pretty much only get my WoW news from the battle.net site. Once in a while I'll visit another site to read news, but when that happens it's always a link I saw here first.

Format-wise, I find one-on-one the least interesting. When there are multiple interviewers and especially when there are multiple devs answering questions, they can riff off of each other's ideas and bring in an additional set of ideas that might not otherwise have come to light. This enables me to get more than one angle on the question or answer and gives me a better understanding of the situation being discussed.

I know I'm kind of a verbose poster, but I was hoping the extra detail would be helpful. Thanks for reading. : )
90 Orc Hunter
I picked Text and Transcripts: Youtube is blocked where I live and unfortunately you post all your interviews on there...so it means I don't watch them.

I like to read the highlights anyways.

What I want to see: more information about 5.2 raids, dailies, vp gear, and legendary quest line...where is that going?

Also want to see a REAL response from blizz when people ask about the legendary meta for head and how they removed those citing people didn't want to grind for it...this is a grind that pales in comparison with any of the old grinds...
60 Night Elf Druid
Text I feel there's very little to be gained by an audio or video interview, and video only if we're going to be shown clips or something visual. Text is much easier to take in in segments and to look up terms, and to quote. I also find that answers come out more meaningful when the dev spends an extra few seconds composing it in text than answering it live.

What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
Lore, Art, Sound and then Systems. I'm assuming Systems refers to new mechanics and user interface devices and not game balance sorts of things. (Something like an overhaul of the auction house would count). Encounters aren't very interesting in interviews. We'll all find out about those anyway via PTR testing and datamining. Game balance can be the most boring and one-sided discussion, especially if it's about the class you don't play.

MMO-Champion, and sometimes Wowhead. Any time MMO-Champion's Blue Tracker lists an announcement made on the main WoW website, I will read it there rather than rely on their transcript or summary.
What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
Wowhead has had some pretty good stuff from time to time. I tend to groan when I find out an interview was held that I have to listen to on somebody's podcast, and then I skip around trying to figure out when their regular podcast ends and the interview begins.
In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
One-on-one works best with lore and art interviews. I don't usually see much advantage to having multiple askers, and the interview tends to jump too much that way. Multiple answerers works for gameplay, PvP, PvE sort of questions.
100 Night Elf Warrior

Most of all I want to know about art, specifically new models and how you decide what gets a model and what gets a skin only. The new Troll models are amazing, and I'd love to hear some thoughts on how you approached designing the different tribes and if the Zandalari use Night Elf skeletons specifically to suggest a connection. Then I'd love to hear about lore, I love how much more important MOP content is to main Waract lore and characters. System wise: I would like to know why you removed globe hopping quests completely from the game. I know they were a nuisance, but is it a waste of dev time to maybe include optional quests of this nature as an Easter Egg, similar to LInken (without pop culture homage) but Warcraft lore oriented? The Shieldwall Daily story you unlocked was perfect, but I hated being forced to fast travel everywhere or risk missing a cut scene or NPC dialog. I miss traveling the World of Warcraft. Please give me the option, along with a quest in my heart to inspire that traveling.

I'd also like to learn about the weird ideas you guys have brainstormed or prototypes that never get a chance to see the light of day. I would love to learn of some of the features you thought about adding to WOW.

Reading is fast and I dont have to sit and wait and listen to information I find uninteresting.

WOWinsider and MMOchamp

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

MMO Champ and WOWinsider and Ten Ton Hammer

Multiple people and multiple devs. I get so bored of you only talking about class balance and raid mechanics instead of abstract conceptualizing, art team issues, and failed concepts of the past.
Edited by Elrith on 2/7/2013 1:12 AM PST
100 Night Elf Mage
"What topics interest you most?" I like a little of everything, but my favorite topic would have to be the lore. I also enjoy hearing about the decision process from time to time - i.e. hearing the reasons behind this or that. Maybe it just keeps my inner conspiracy theorist/delusional psychotic at bay.

"Why do you prefer the format you voted on?" This is the only reason I replied instead of simply voting. For me, I simply cannot absorb the information if I'm listening to it. The majority of what is being said goes in one ear and out the other. The more I focus on trying to hear the words, the less I understand, because I hear each word but can't really focus on putting it into a coherent sentence. It's a problem I have with the phone too. It's a lot less of a problem if it's a conversation I'm taking part in. Just listening to a conversation though, I like to be doing something instead of just sitting there with the sound on, and my usual thing to do is read forums or play videogames, and the former conflicts with listening (my brain can't do two language things at once), and the second requires focus that often makes me tune out the sound.

However, I don't have that problem with videos of people talking. I can often sit there and watch, or put it on the TV and do some dailies or something - the TV grabs my attention better, particularly for things I've never seen before, compared to audio.

As such, I voted for "text or transcript" as my preferred format, as I absorb a heckuva lot more from reading. So long as it's available, I'd rather read it than listen to it. Audio-video of the interview would be my second choice. ^^

"What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?" My "go-to" for that stuff is MMO-Champion. Whenever I hear of something notable happening on the PTR or Beta, my first site to check is MMO-Champion. That's at least for the stuff that doesn't get posted on the official site though - and like a lot of people, I often skip over the home page to get to the general forum.

"What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?" Not a clue... I honestly don't remember who did what interview or even when what interview was done by who.

"In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?" I don't think I have any opinion on this, actually. It's a complete non-issue for me.
Edited by Pounceykins on 2/7/2013 2:39 AM PST
80 Blood Elf Hunter
1) Systems, Lore and Content.
2) Text or Transcript. Reading is faster, I can easily skip the questions that don't interest me.
3) MMO-Champ for the main content, Els Anglin is one I also frequent for fishing related news.
4) MMO-Champ.
5) Multiple devs answering user submitted questions.
Edited by Kiingeh on 2/7/2013 3:44 AM PST
90 Troll Hunter
I'm in the process of scheduling fansite interviews with our developers to cover patch 5.2 content and design, and I'm curious what formats and topics are most popular among the community. In addition to this simple poll on preferred format, please elaborate on what you think makes for a successful (or unsuccessful) interview. Some examples:

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Keep in mind this is specifically about press/fansite interviews with developers, and not public Q&As. The two aren't mutually exclusive and we'd like to host another developer Q&A in the near future.

Your feedback will help me assess our resources and determine a solid 5.2 interview strategy. Much appreciated!

Lore interests me the most, but honestly, I don't see an interview satisfying that. OT, but would you consider putting up a Lore Encyclopedia of some kind so that newer players aren't left completely lost by the disjointed quest storytelling?

1) So to, the topic at hand. In summary: I find GC's and Ion's blogs the most interesting. i.e. I like the discussion of encounters and mechanics, but more specifically, the design intent behind them. I also prefer it when the developers wax eloquent on topics by themselves, rather than answer a series of short questions.
2) Developers aren't really visually or aurally entertaining to be frank. What I want from an interaction with a dev is information, and that is best conveyed by text that I can read and absorb at my leisure.
3) MMO Champ
4) If you're asking for compelling interviewing styles, the only ones that stood out for me were when the interviewer really went after his interviewees, like http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-drm-piracy-interview/ . But there's really no reason to do anything similar here. I judge how compelling most interviews are by their content, not the interviewer's style.

...although if you want the opposite end of the spectrum you could try this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/there-were-tanks-at-tankfest-a-report/
5) Multiple developers answering questions. Gives more breadth to the answers.
100 Orc Death Knight

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

• systems, content, lore
  • Chose text because it's easier to break the language barrier this way and it's more available to see in other places besides your home
  • wow.joystiq.com and www.wowhead.com
  • wow.joystiq.com and www.wowhead.com
  • Multiple developers answering the same questions. Different points of view about the same topic, and always different bits of information about those topics.
90 Human Warrior
What topics interest you most?
General mechanics and new types of content

I find videos provide better explanations behind the reason for the changes rather than just listing them. Text can be pretty dry.

MMO Champ, WoW Insider

One-on-one by someone who knows how to interview rather than a multitude of special interest.
90 Human Rogue
~~
What topics interest you most? Content and Class Adjustments
Why do you prefer the format you voted on? Don't pay attention
What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news? WoW Insider
What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past? Haven't read any compelling interviews to be honest. Most of the information received in interviews are vague and don't contain solid information.
In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions? 1 interviewer with multiple dev's responding unless it's something like the the Dev Q&A where a dev answers community questions.
~~
100 Pandaren Monk

1) I want to know more about the bug fixing process. Granted this is selfish and unlikely to be a topic, but I'd love for them to explain the Brawler title bug I'm experiencing (i.e. not receiving the title) and how they handle it from disposition, to fixing, to determining release schedule of a fix. :) How do they decide which bugs to prioritize? This bug has taken the prestige away from some pretty fun and challenging content yet it doesn't seem to be a priority and no one is discussing it (insert asinine Fight Club reference). OK, I'm sorry for throwing in the little rant. I'm a bitter, bitter man. Move along.

2) Depends on what I'm doing when I come across the interview which is why I prefer both formats. Audio is great to listen to in the background, and when you miss something it's nice to have the transcript to go back to. In other situations, I can't listen to the audio but I can read the transcript.

3) MMO-Champ is my primary source.

4) Not aware of any compelling interviews.

5) I would prefer multiple devs answering questions even if one does most of the talking. A single dev can get away with the "oh I'm not working on that" response ;)
90 Blood Elf Paladin

-- The topics that interest me most are class mechanics and class balance.
-- I prefer text because audio interviews often tend to less meaty. I'd be happy if this was not the case.
-- MMO-Champ is my main non-Blizzard source of news.
-- I definitely suggest an interview with Arena Junkies. It's the only way compelling, in-depth PvP questions will be asked. The last one (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7349465359) was pretty good and I'd like to see something like this with Ghostcrawler.
-- One on one has generally dished out better insights, but group formats may have untapped potential.

I hope this helps and thanks for asking for our opinions.
Edited by Hafleur on 2/7/2013 7:28 AM PST
90 Pandaren Priest
1— What topics interest you most?
Everything related to 5-man content and more specifically challenge modes. I want to learn about your plans concerning them: will you be introducing new ones during Mists of Pandaria? If so, will they follow the model we have now? I'd also like to read about your design philosophy behind them, including your goals regarding class balance in competitive play, your reasons for allowing certain strategies or tricks to work, and so forth.

2— Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
I voted for Text or Transcript because it's the format that carries the best the small details, I find.

3— What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
4— What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

I'm indifferent to where the interviews are posted, as long as Blizzard provides direct links to them.

5— In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
I like learning about the PoV of multiple developers.
100 Draenei Paladin
Text is the best medium in which to get complete and concrete ideas and answers across. As for topics I'd be more interested in Lore then anything else by far.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 2/7/2013 8:04 AM PST
--Lore, encounters, PvP

--Video, because it gives a sense of interaction between me and the speaker, also because i'm not a native english speaker, and a video instead of a audio-only format helps me understand everything. Text format does just fine too.

-- The main WoW website, MMO champions, arena junkies.

--MMO champion does fine, don't know many others.

--multiple developers answering/debating the same question.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/07/2013 07:58 AMPosted by Bitocão
--multiple developers answering/debating the same question.

That would be interesting if they actually had different views, to see how they come to a conclusion.
100 Blood Elf Priest
1. Lore, Content, and all the little things: the nuances, the subtleties, the anomalies that we assume only accessorize our play, but actually end up having a much more meaningful impact.

2. I prefer text because I can skim through the parts I'm not interested in (stuff about Hardmode Raiding, gnomes, Jaina, druids, etc.) and spend an hour slowly reading through the parts that do interest me.

3. us.battle.net, mmo-champion.com

4. They all do a pretty good job.

5. Depends on the topic. Lore is better when multiple people answer questions. Encounters and system designs usually better with 1 on 1 interviews.
90 Pandaren Priest
Do it through Twizzcast - www.twizzcast.com
•What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)

Encounters!

•Why do you prefer the format you voted on?

I enjoy hearing the interviews. Seems more personal that way.

•What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?

Twizzcast. www.twizzcast.com. I also lean on MMO Champ and Wowhead ALOT.

•What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

Twizzcast: Illidan himself, ask mr robot, and several others. Sounds like a couple friends having a drink. Very "real" to me. The Instance: LOVED the Russel interview.

•In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Multiple people asking. And I prefer the "non-scripted" stuff.
Edited by Buckhunt on 2/7/2013 8:45 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]