Your Developer Interview Druthers

(Locked)

When seeking design insights on new or upcoming content, what developer press interview format do you find most useful?

Text or Transcript
Audio
Audio: Podcast Episode
Audio and Transcript
Video
I don't pay attention to developer interviews
This poll has ended - Feb 20, 2013
90 Human Priest
I'm most interested in class changes, encounter development, and PVP stuff in general (new bgs and changes to existing ones, this 'five man rated bg' idea that was floated a while back, that sort of thing.)

I prefer text. Audio and video are great and it's fun to actually see and hear the people who are making the game happen, but in many cases I'll only have the time, interest and patience to watch/listen to a small portion of what's released, and it's very useful to be able to skim a text document to get right to the portions of an interview that most interest me. So give us transcripts wherever possible, pretty please!

I check WoW insider most frequently, and look at MMO champ once or twice a week. And I love reading the Blues' thoughts on twitter, particularly Ghostcrawler.

Can't really think of a standout for best interviews, and I certainly can't think of any I didn't think were worth the time I spent on them. I think you guys do a good job of picking people who will ask the right questions and do it in an engaging way.

I love the panel format and think it gives an opportunity for a single discussion to cover a lot of ground. If we were to get only one developer interview I'd want it to be that format. But luckily we aren't in that position, and I think a one-on-one gives the opportunity for a lot more depth on topics like class balance and encounter design.
90 Night Elf Druid
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

I voted for audio/transcript. I like the transcript so I can tab between it and a BG.

It doesn't matter who is asking the questions, but more people thinking about the questions is better. As in, a group comes up with the questions, then one person can do the interview. Multiple developers is better.

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

I'd like to hear the why's about design decisions and the direction the dev's see the game going. So of the ones you listed, i would say systems, encounters, and lore.

I like the text format (voted voice and text) because it is easier to use via forums for quoting etc. But sometimes stuff gets taken otu fo contenxt because we don't have tone that an audio or video rendition would provide. I like to see the humor from the devs in something other than quest text jokes..

This site is my primary source for WoW news. (specifically the forums) So as long as there is a sticky, it won't matter to me where you do the interview.

As far as who asks or answeres the questions, I think I prefer a single dev interviewed by a single person IF that dev is given leeway to answer questions outside his purview. If not, then a panel of a few devs is fine and as long as the questions cover a variety of topics, I don't mind if its fans or a site interviewer.
90 Orc Death Knight
I have a weekly line-up of podcasts that I listen to from itunes that cover various facets of the World of Warcraft. Right now its just the most convenient way for me to consume WoW information on my daily commute to and from work. Its also really cool to be able to actually hear you guys express your thoughts and ideas in a way that can't be conveyed through text. Whenever a podcast host announces that they're having a Blizz Dev on an upcoming episode, I think I look forward to that more so than a standard blog interview. Not to downplay the importance of WoW blogs, all forms of media covering this great game we love are important and have their own place :)
I'd like to hear more about you guys' thought process when deciding class talents, applying new set bonuses to tier armor, etc (me being primarily a damage dealer this is what interests me lol), But also what goes into creating a whole new class from the ground up ie: Death Knights & Monks. What decisions are made early on, and what cool stuff stayed on the cutting room floor so to speak. I'm also really into the Lore so I'd definitely like to hear more from the "elusive" Mr.Chris Metzen lol.

That being said some of my favorites are:
Twizzcast
Realm Maintenance
Convert to Raid
The WoW Insider Show
Edited by Stormrazor on 2/7/2013 10:36 AM PST
59 Orc Death Knight
I chose video, but I would like to elaborate. The video should be done in the style of a low cost production of a high school play.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I tend to watch a lot of gamebreaker stuff, so that's a good choice.

Topics that interest me are encounter design and lore related. There is a mind boggling amount of lore behind the game, and even having read a good number of the novels there is a lot that slips through the cracks.

For format: jeopardy style where the interviewer gives you the answer and the dev tries to figure out what the question was supposed to be...

But in all seriousness, a regular q and a interview with one or more of the site's contributors is a fine format, and beyond the crazy idea I wrote about above, I can't honestly think of a significantly different format.
90 Worgen Warrior
I like seeing the views of multiple developers getting asked questions at the same time, oftentimes when you do interviews like that you get viewpoints that one guy alone couldn't make. I also prefer video format(though a transcript of the video wouldn't hurt), because I'd rather sit down and watch the video than listen to just audio because I tend to get distracted by other things I'm reading/doing if it's only audio.

The topics I'd really like to hear more about are raid design, item design, skill design, and the new character models.
Edited by Garnox on 2/7/2013 4:17 PM PST
72 Pandaren Shaman
I chose text, mostly because my daughter is usually noisy so it's easier for me to just read stuff.

The topics I am most interested in at this point in time and would love to hear the devs talk about are:

1. The problem with low population servers, if they plan on doing something about this that isn't CRZ because that is not really a solution.

2. When are we going to get the new character models.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
I honestly love hearing about all the different topics.

I prefer podcasts because I can take them anywhere and listen while I work

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
Twizzcast is my number one podcast for information. Wowhead and Wow Insider are the two websites I get most of the info from.

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
Twizzcast has had some wonderful interviews in the past such as Illidan, the Ask Mr. Robot gang. and much more.

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
I find each type of interview to be unique. One-on-one just gives you one persons point of view, where as multiple people gives you a broader amount of questions that can be asked. Multiple developers answering questions is also good because you can get multiple answers and takes on a participial question or topic.
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

1. I enjoy encounter and design content, as well as lore, but that's secondary. Art is good too.

2. I think text is easier to come and go to at my liesure. Sometimes I might sneak a quick peek at something when I have a spare moment or on my lunch break at work, and I can always come back to an article later.

3. I normally read MMO Champion and Wowhead for news, but I try to read others as well. I follow Warcraftpets a lot for pet battling. :)

4. Wowhead always does a good job!

5. I like the idea of some player questions being answered, but I really find it interesting to just hear what devs have to say. There is a lot of player/CM interaction on the forum, so it's nice just to read what they want to talk about.
90 Tauren Paladin
1) All of the above, I eat up pretty much anything you guys have to offer
2) The interactive nature of podcasts and the ability to provide questions to be asked to the actual casters is a wonderful thing.
3) I read mmo-champion and listen to more podcasts than I could possibly list here. Suffice it to say my job allows me to listen to podcasts freely, and my Stitcher states I've accrued 400+ hours of listening since Oct. 26th 2012.
4) Twizzcast and All Things Azeroth had wonderful interviews asking the vast majority of the questions I wanted to hear
5) One Dev, multiple questions from different people and perspectives if possible. This is exactly why I chose the podcasts I did as you get a variety of hosts with VERY different views as to the game and their interactions therein.

Hope my answers meet your needs and happy to add any additional info if needed.
90 Troll Monk
I prefer podcasts as my main source of information, my job makes me drive a good distance so eating up that time with Twizzcast and Horde for Life is wonderful. I also like to be able to send them emails to hear their perspectives on whats new or what might be changing.

I also read blogs, I play a monk and want up to date information so I check out monkdownunder.wordpress.com, he writes informative pieces that are all about my class.

Then you have twitter. Keep up the good work devs.
90 Tauren Shaman
I voted for printed or transcript. Sometimes when I'm browsing the wowernet, it's not always convenient to put in ear buds, or have speakers going.

In all honesty it really would work out better for me a lot of times to listen or watch something, as I frequently browse the wowernet while I'm eating. Read a couple lines, look down at my food, read a couple more... Even though it would be so much more convenient to listen to a podcast, I just don't.

When the last big round of interviews came out, where like 6 different sites had different interviews and formats, I didn't watch any of the videos or listen to any podcasts, but I did read everything that there was to read.

As far as most frequented wow sites for news, wowhead is by the far the most common, I also hit up tank spot, and even el's anglin' and warcraftpets sometimes for the more niche-y stuff.

Topics I like are anything on new content, even if I don't participate in the aspect that's being introduced. 5 man dungeons used to be what I liked doing the most in vanilla and BC, but dungeons aren't really end game for the casual player anymore. I like some of the PvP news, but mostly just BG or gear and stat info. I love professions news, vanity items. I'm pretty overwhelmed with pets these days so I don't pay too much attention to that anymore.

My preferred format are the blogs. I dig it when you just get someone who knows what's up and just let them go to town. As far as an interview format, one on one would be my first choice.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

I like "technical" stuff. Art is pretty vague, but it was cool to see a clip of a designer making a simple flower in the environment for instance. Anything other then lore pretty much. I really like ability sounds so it would be great to see how the person made the sound for devotion aura. I know it's gone now, but I liked that sound :(

As long as you provide text then it's cool. Video is nice too so we can get to see the person, but text is the absolute best.

I don't keep track of other sites and they seem all over, but I guess mmo champ is probably one of the biggest. It doesn't matter where it comes from. What interests me is who is being interviewed.

I prefer one on one. You should give Ghostcrawler his on tv show.
60 Undead Warlock

Never enough Lore!

Podcasts! I love the transcript but the Podcasters need some love.

WoW Insider and WoW Insider Show - MMOChamp - WoWheadNews - The Instance - Darkmoon Herald - Call to Auction - PowerWord Gold - Convert to Raid

Rossi and ShadesoGrey need to do all Lore Interviews!
90 Goblin Warlock
02/06/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Zarhym

Lore and art by far. I really like learning about where the lore is going and why. Changes to the graphics and how the developers design the world and characters is always interesting, too. Encounters as well since they sometimes tie into lore. Everything really. But mostly lore.

I prefer transcripts because I feel like there is generally more content being covered. Not only that but it also allows me to read it on my own time. I do not watch videos or listen to audio because I spend a lot of time multi-tasking and I feel like it's inefficient to pause it while doing other things - where I would more comfortably spend dedicated time to reading at my own pace uninterrupted.

I don't do podcasts for the reasons above. I tend to wait for websites like MMOChampion and WoWhead to provide summaries and transcripts of any content delivered in non-text format.

I really don't remember the last interview I read, or honestly understand the difference between an interview and a Q&A (except that I feel like Q&A is more what I enjoy reading). GC's Twitter quickly became my favorite form of developer commentary.

Multiple developers answering multiple peoples' questions. Just throw everything in as long as they're player-generated questions and not the generic filler questions that people who don't play the game tend to ask that could be answered after 3 seconds of searching Google.
There have been a couple of developer/designer interviews recently with a number of podcasts ("All Things Azeroth", "Darkmoon Herald" and "Twizzcast" come to mind). Those were great. The give and take of an interview is always appreciated.

Transcripts are nice, but they don't have quite the same impact for me.
90 Blood Elf Priest
SSC
Maybe you can get them to address major problems in the game like server population issues. The main problem I have with any of these formats is they pretty much end up as nothing but fluff pieces with the developers answering questions like what's your favoirte colour.

I think you should look into how Star War's is doing it and set up a format that allows people to talk with the devolopment team direct and make it something that is held at least once every 30 days.

You should also think about doing something in game, alot of players donn't come to the forums. You may want to let more people know about them on the launcher.
Edited by Genada on 2/11/2013 9:58 AM PST
90 Goblin Warlock
All of the above
I'm a podcaster so I have a bias to Podcasts, but I also like to quickly scroll over the text if I need to get a quick synopsis.
Group Quest (http://thegroupquest.com) (Shameless Plug)
Rawrcast (http://rawrcast.com)
Realm Maintenance (http://realm-maintenance.com)
MMO Champion
WoWhead
Darkmoon herald
All Things Azeroth
I prefer multiple people asking questions of one developer or a small pannel of developers that are unified for a specific purpose.
Edited by Hasteur on 2/11/2013 7:02 PM PST
90 Goblin Death Knight
Since I always have something to say, I will add my 2 copper into this forum thread.

--All of the above. I read/listen to almost all of the Dev interviews available.
-- I like hearing it or seeing it more than reading it because I like to hear it from the horses mouth itself. Always good to hear the passion, etc.
-- Sites: MMO-Champion, Wow Insider, Wow Head. Podcasts: Realm Maintenance with Rho.
-- I enjoyed them all. I know, doesn't really help! I enjoyed reading the AMA on Reddit/Battle.net stream.
-- From a podcast perspective, its nice to have the host(s) asking the Dev questions, but one on one with the dev. Its hard when you have too many people answering questions, to focus on what's going on. The AMA's are nice because its everyone answering questions. Community Managers to Devs to Art designers, etc.

Thanks for asking us, and including the community in this whole option!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]