Your Developer Interview Druthers

(Locked)

When seeking design insights on new or upcoming content, what developer press interview format do you find most useful?

Text or Transcript
Audio
Audio: Podcast Episode
Audio and Transcript
Video
I don't pay attention to developer interviews
This poll has ended - Feb 20, 2013
90 Night Elf Warrior

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

1. Systems and encounters.
2. Text, because you can quote it easier.
3. mmo-champion, and WoWhead is pretty good too, actually, if you know where to look.
4. I have not seen enough of them to feel justified commenting on this.
5. Multiple developers. It's better still if there are user submitted questions too, at some point.
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm in the process of scheduling fansite interviews with our developers to cover patch 5.2 content and design, and I'm curious what formats and topics are most popular among the community. In addition to this simple poll on preferred format, please elaborate on what you think makes for a successful (or unsuccessful) interview. Some examples:

What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)

Encounters, with lore & systems close behind

Why do you prefer the format you voted on?

I am a big podcast fan, and love the feeling of having a part in the interview

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?

Convert to Raid, The Instance, This Week in Blizz, All Things Azeroth, The Darkmoon Herald, and Horde For Life. Also WoW Insider (podcast and site) and MMO Champion

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

CTR with Ion was GREAT. ATA with GC was good as well.

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Multiple people asking, multiple people answering :)

Keep in mind this is specifically about press/fansite interviews with developers, and not public Q&As. The two aren't mutually exclusive and we'd like to host another developer Q&A in the near future.

Your feedback will help me assess our resources and determine a solid 5.2 interview strategy. Much appreciated!

PLEASE continue to support the podcast community. We may not be the most numerous, but. We are some of the most passionate.

Thank you,
Syrionia
90 Pandaren Mistweaver of the Alliance, Cenarius
90 Night Elf Rogue
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions

1. All of those can be interesting. Mostly what I want to hear from devs is Why---why chose this encounter over others, why not others, why made it work/look/sound the way it did. What were you trying to achieve? How well did it succeed, and what could have been better?

2. Text, definitely. Often the answers are fairly dense and it's nice to go back and reread what is stated. Also, in writing you can go back and correct things as necessary and fine-tune for accuracy, which is hard when speaking off the cuff.

3. wowhead, Icy Veins, The Instance, Convert to Raid.

4. Don't remember.

5. Multiple participants on either side is hard to pull off, but if done well it can work. One interviewer, multiple interviewees works better than the other way round.
90 Tauren Druid
In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

1) Design philosophy and translating that into mechanics. I'm also particularly interested lately in how design impacts community, and would love to see a dev interview about their thoughts on how to shape that game dynamic.

2) I prefer text/transcript because I don't like going anywhere but battle.net to get WoW info, especially official info coming directly from Blizzard. Getting info from twitter, etc. feels second-hand and unofficial, and why should I have to hunt down what someone said when they should have just said it here in the first place? I also prefer text for security reasons. I know blizzard works hard to be safe, but pressing play on a video is a rare occurence on my computer. There is no one I know who has not gotten serious malware from youtube, for example, and gaming sites are prime targets for hackers as any security tech will verify. A transcript is as safe as battle.net, but a video is only as safe as the site hosting it. I'd rather have to trust one site instead of two.

3-4) Battle.net. Lately I don't even go to wowhead anymore.

5) No opinion. Whatever gets new information or insight into design.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Text I can read and review anywhere and I read a lot faster than people talk. I really prefer text and transcript. By a huge margin.

As in always read text and in years have not listened to the alternative.

I am interested in design philosophy and how that translates into mechanics and lore.

I also really appreciate updates on spin off questions. (E.g. the comment on tools to manage guild mergers. Is that still on the development track and is there an eta or is that on haitus now. You know, a list of things on haitus or on really long horizons would be great).
Edited by Bitterhope on 2/14/2013 11:13 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

Class design & balance, lore and of course drunk tweets from blizzard in vegas :D

•Why do you prefer the format you voted on?

Love audio podcasts: I can enjoy my Slash2, WoW uncensored, Etc AT WORK!!!!! how freakin awesome is that? My job is alot less horrible when I charge up my Ipod with a large batch of warcraft podasts

•What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?

Stopcast, Wow uncensored, Slash2, Warcraft Trolls, Icy Veins and many more. I'm a complete addict and get bored at work....

•What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

Few and I was disappoint.

•In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

ALL of the above, though I don't wish to waste too much of the Dev's time with my caveman questions.

"Ugg nerf mage, buff warriors or caveman get angry!!!!!**beats chest**" would be my typical statement.

Other than that I would love to hear the Slash2, Stopcast, and Warcraft Trolls crews talk with the devs...drunk. With their large listener base I am also disappoint that they are staying quiet on dis thread. :(
Edited by Genocideyo on 2/14/2013 12:39 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/08/2013 12:44 AMPosted by Monkfone
Keep up the good work devs.
90 Blood Elf Mage
. well, here is my next suggestion. Have the new recipes available from the trainer as a sort of "catch up" model.

Someone else' suggestion, but I would like to see thoughts of catch up for professions like were implemented for cooking and the interaction between professions and the game.

As I said before, I really prefer text. I really enjoy design and applications discussions, but them I worked for TSR back in the day and freelanced for Chaosium. I sometimes enjoy watching someone else play as much as playing a game myself and really enjoy intent and application related discussions.

I like lore, but am just as happy to see it in essays.

I would also like to see some discussion of the lessons learned from contrasting WotLK with Cata.

I think the entire update of WoW was necessary and brought a freshness for new players.

Cata was really WoW 2.0 all in all. But I am curious to see what you feel you have learned and how that affects design and plans going forward.

So, yes, I have been thinking of what I would like to see. Beyond a discussion of "tag ends" -- things mentioned but not seen recently (guild merger tools, CRZ guilds, that sort of thing)

Specific developers are not as much of a priority. Perhaps someone to talk about the size of the development teams and the mix of assignments. If you have much to do with other developers from other games -- ie is it likely I will see a WoW developer hanging out with Schick or Jaquays or Petersen either as a part of a society or at a non Blizzard con.

Do you participate in non Blizzard cons and are you available.

How many of you played RQ or first edition D&D? Diablo 1?

Anyway, my thoughts after pausing a while.
89 Night Elf Hunter
I wanted to let you know that I listen to podcasts all day while at work and find them invaluable to my progression in the game. I cannot read the forums, although I go there frequently. I should mention that the only reason I knew this poll was active was because I heard of it on a Podcast. --Horde For Life--
You do a great job Zarhym.
90 Orc Death Knight
I generally am most interested in interviews about classes and how they are changing. I don't think I've ever heard an interview about professions which is kind of a bummer as that is something that interests me.

I voted for audio podcasts because that's the format I use most often. I drive 40+ hours a week and listen to podcasts to pass the time. I check WoW insider daily but that's about it for text.

I regularly listen to Convert to Raid, All things Azeroth, the WoW Insider show, The instance, Twizzcast and the Darkmoon Herald. I also sometimes listen to the Hunting Party podcast and Horde for Life, which is somewhat ironic since my hunter mostly languishes and I'm becoming Alliance only (I just don't like being on the genocidal madman team plus Orgrimmar is a PITB to find your way around).

I think my favorite recent interview was the All Things Azeroth interview of Ghostcrawler. I thought it was a bit better than the Legendary interview (I will dl casts I don't normally listen to if I know there's an interview). Ghostcrawler interviews pretty well in any format. Fargo I think is better suited to text interviews. Not sure about Ian Hazzecostas,(sp?) I can only recall the Convert to Raid interview with him where he seemed awkward and his answers were incredibly vague but the interview was kind of worshipful so I don't know if that made him uncomfortable.

Panel and one on one interviews both work (I prefer a penel of interviewers myself) and it's nice when a transcript can be done so that those who prefer text can be served as well.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Its not surprising that the highest vote is for Text or Transcript.
This is because what is said or stated cannot be denied or recanted later.
Transcript is set in stone: You said it, it was written, so let it be known as empirical truth.

If you dont want to commit to something, dont say it and it wont be transcript.
With text, we, the player community, can easily follow along and scrutinize the content for points of interest or contention.
90 Worgen Rogue
Personally I let sites like MMO Champ go through it all and post whats worth wild on their site.
Community Manager
Thank you all for your feedback. We'll be conducting developer interviews for patch 5.2 in the days ahead. Hope you enjoy! :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]