Ret = Off Heals n 5.2? Might as well go Holy.

90 Human Paladin
I'm on the precipice of Holy and Ret. Since I spend most of my time off healing people since my burst is utter !@#$ (sorry for my language) unless I pop CD's and go ape man on ONE target every 3 minutes. Sure I still kill them, but one person every 3 minutes is ridiculous.

In 5.2, Ret STILL has no SIGNIFICANT damage buff. But we do get FoL buffed for back up/self healing. But why no damage buffs? Is it still worth staying Ret next patch? What's the word on the PTR? Is Ret "better"? (Notice the quotes.)

/begin Rant

But hell with those buffs, Blizz might as well remove Ret entirely and make another Healer spec similar to how Priests have Holy and Disc. I'm spending Holy Charges on Words of Glory to support people more often then I am using it for Templar's Verdict. I might as well just roll a Holadin right?

/end Rant

Any thoughts on this? Also, would it be worth tossing my Dreadful Scaled gear for Holy pally PvP gear at this point?
Edited by Redshaftja on 2/6/2013 9:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Arcane is the top damage spec in the game at the moment, yet is one of the weakest and least represented specs in PvP. Why is that? ...It's because damage isn't everything. Mechanics are key and If you didn't know Retribution was a support class by the time you started gearing it I don't know what you were thinking.

Also, our off-heals are being buffed in a way that our healing output will increase not our healing frequency, so you wont actually be spending any more time healing than you are now.

Stop crying, learn to play, get better gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i love my ret at 85 :P i guess i haven't gotten to the nerdrage issues yet.. but honestly even as more support than dmg (i smash people currently, especially with wings) i am sure i'll be having fun at 90. : )
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Heals are part of rets package and a very important part as well.

The vast majority of our mitigation comes from healing ourselves and others.

I am really looking forward to 5.2 b/c of the heal buffs. They should make it tougher for people to focus ret down in arenas which is a major problem for the spec now.

The ability to remove magic debuffs is also going to be a boon for your teams survivability as well. I just wish it wasnt tried to sac as it is used for other tricks like breaking cc's (not fears anymore sadly. They never break now, its crazy).

Ret is a medic with a shotgun. A huge part of our play style is based on support. If you want to tunnel vision people play a war (not trying to be argumentative but its true). Good ret know when to use hands, heals, etc on themselves or teammates.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Paladins used to have a spec similar to disc, it was called shockadin, and it was glorious.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You sound like you want to be a Warrior, and not a Paladin op
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
God I miss my shockadin.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/07/2013 08:57 AMPosted by Paladinchaz
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Ret's primary utility has been off-healing for a long time now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/07/2013 08:57 AMPosted by Paladinchaz
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Snozberries

Well, you can't expect people to just suddenly go along with that, it's only been our primary utility since 2004. They can't adapt overnight, this totally wasn't what they signed up for with ret!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
youre in like full blues and less HKs on your pally than most of my sub lvl30 toons.....

mfw
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/08/2013 02:22 PMPosted by Cayse

Well, you can't expect people to just suddenly go along with that, it's only been our primary utility since 2004. They can't adapt overnight, this totally wasn't what they signed up for with ret!

The problem was back in the day, healing was the ONLY thing we could actually do.

But for the most part since Wrath, Paladins have been pretty well designed overall. Some weaknesses in balance perhaps but a pretty solid design
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
MLG
02/07/2013 08:44 AMPosted by Ora
Paladins used to have a spec similar to disc, it was called shockadin, and it was glorious.

Do you guys remember Prot-Holy pally's in Wrath?

now that was glorious
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I love the utility my Ret brings.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]