Only 1.7 Million 90s on NA Realms

Now thats just characters, not accounts. If there is only 1.7million 90s... I would presume there is only 1million MoP players in all of North America.... So 9 Million active subs, how many of those are from EU/China/Korea?

Data http://wow.realmpop.com/

How - To get the list of characters for a realm, first we record all the characters who posted to the auction house. Then we fetch and record their guild rosters. This should cover the majority of characters on a realm. To avoid getting listed, a character must never post to the auction house, and never belong to a guild where a guild member posts to the auction house.

So does that pop Rift/Starwars ahead of WoW for NA Subs?

You do realize that this method, even if it were accurate in what they try to do, completely ignores bank/AH toons. See, those toons often belong to guilds with no one else in them, they are personal banking guilds for the player. I know many players who only use the AH with their bank toon. According to this accounting, none of those players has a toon over level 1.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
wonder what rifts or swtor numbers would be like if they were also in china
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The game needs to go free to play, with a cash shop. Not only will Blizzard actually make more money, the player base will explode. Saw it happen in Lineage 2.
Edited by Benonin on 2/8/2013 6:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
10 Human Paladin
I think wow still has more subs than rift and swtor in NA. But not my a huge margin. Remember wow is almost a decade old,it's very successful for an old game.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/08/2013 06:11 AMPosted by Crepe
I'm still wondering what the fixation is all about.

As a player that payed to transfer 5 characters from a dead server, I have been a strong advocate for the merging of realms for a long time now. The problem is whenever someone brings up the topic of merging servers, the rabid fanboy base of WoW throws out incorrect Blizzard numbers at us, my favorite being;

Um.. moron.. there are 12 million subscriptions that play wow. 250 servers. Do the math.

Saying things like this assuming that the only servers or players are all in North America actually damages our argument about the low population servers.

Whenever they release these numbers a lot of people come to the forums hoping that maybe if people understand that WoW is having a decline in population, maybe we can finally get some support from Blizzard addressing the issue of low pop servers.

Unfortunately, people like to take it to extremes and instead of using facts and reasonable arguments it turns into a WoW is dying thread.

The thing is when it comes to population numbers, I don't care about Asia or Europe, i care about the NA servers I play on, and honestly there are way too many servers to house only 2 million players.

WoW is not dying, but the experience for players on low pop realms make it feel like it is, and if Blizzard doesn't address these issues, you will start to see a dramatic decline in more players on these realms.
Edited by Krankheit on 2/8/2013 6:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
02/08/2013 06:25 AMPosted by Bubblhearth
I think wow still has more subs than rift and swtor in NA. But not my a huge margin. Remember wow is almost a decade old,it's very successful for an old game.

If you need to include caveats in a compliement, it's not really a compliement.

Tell me, if you were dating someone and told that person "You look great for someone as fat as you!" - do you really think they would be thrilled to hear it and thank you for the compliment?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
02/08/2013 06:11 AMPosted by Crepe

02/08/2013 06:14 AMPosted by Angedechu
Admitting that the census is accurate and that there is only 1.9 milion 90s in NA, I still dont' understand why those subs would count less than Europe ?

Really? Comments like this leave me baffled.

Frankly, I have the reverse question: why do you care about the people playing in europe and china when you have no ability to play with them?

When I go to openraid for example, and seek out people with common interests for raiding, achieves, whatever, I am limited to only those players in NA. I often see various events and pugs taking place on the european servers that I have no ability to join. Hence, from a player standpoint, I could care less if there's over 5 million players elsewhere when they are all unavailable to me.

Meanwhile, over in NA, there's also an issue with low pop servers and raid teams being unable to fill their teams, while pugs are decreasing steadily in number. I hope you realize that many of those problems would be lessened if a larger % of the WoW players were those living in NA.

Furthermore, if I'm a NEW player, someone who's never played WoW or even an MMO before, I will probably investigate which MMO offers me the largest pool of potential players cause basically, I wanna be where all the action is. If I learn a certain MMO has more players in NA than WoW, then that game quickly becomes very appealing because it offers me not only a larger number of potential players, but also a good chance I'll even meet people in real life who also play that game because the game is popular in NA and I play in NA.

For example, I've meet 3 gamers over the past year who I eventually learned were playing GW2. Say what you want about GW2, but it's definitely attracted a good amount of NA players. Similar things can be said about MMOs like DC universe - their population sizes are comparable to WoW in NA, so they are basically offering me a similar, if not larger, group of potential players.

That's not even taking into consideration that the number of subscribers in NA who actually don't even have MoP or a level 90 toon, so the potential pool of players is reduced even further.

Tl;TR: The NA numbers matter to me because they represent the number of players I could potentially play with.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Rentrenus

Admitting that the census is accurate and that there is only 1.9 milion 90s in NA, I still dont' understand why those subs would count less than Europe ?

Frankly, I have the reverse question: why do you care about the people playing in europe and china when you have no ability to play with them?

When I go to openraid for example, and seek out people with common interests for raiding, achieves, whatever, I am limited to only those players in NA. I often see various events and pugs taking place on the european servers that I have no ability to join. Hence, from a player standpoint, I could care less if there's over 5 million players elsewhere when they are all unavailable to me.

Meanwhile, over in NA, there's also an issue with low pop servers and raid teams being unable to fill their teams, while pugs are decreasing steadily in number. I hope you realize that many of those problems would be lessened if a larger % of the WoW players were those living in NA.

Furthermore, if I'm a NEW player, someone who's never played WoW or even an MMO before, I will probably investigate which MMO offers me the largest pool of potential players cause basically, I wanna be where all the action is. If I learn a certain MMO has more players in NA than WoW, then that game quickly becomes very appealing because it offers me not only a larger number of potential players, but also a good chance I'll even meet people in real life who also play that game because the game is popular in NA and I play in NA.

For example, I've meet 3 gamers over the past year who I eventually learned were playing GW2. Say what you want about GW2, but it's definitely attracted a good amount of NA players. Similar things can be said about MMOs like DC universe - their population sizes are comparable to WoW in NA, so they are basically offering me a similar, if not larger, group of potential players.

That's not even taking into consideration that the number of subscribers in NA who actually don't even have MoP or a level 90 toon, so the potential pool of players is reduced even further.

Tl;TR: The NA numbers matter to me because they represent the number of players I could potentially play with.

And this MMO is the biggest MMO for North America.

If you want a huge pool of players to play with in North America you are stuck with Call of Duty.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

How - To get the list of characters for a realm, first we record all the characters who posted to the auction house. Then we fetch and record their guild rosters. This should cover the majority of characters on a realm. To avoid getting listed, a character must never post to the auction house, and never belong to a guild where a guild member posts to the auction house.

Well then - thier data IS screwed up!

I have 2 accounts, and 3 guilds. The 2 main guilds (1 alliance, 1 horde) consists of just myself and my GF. Between us, we have 10 90's. My 3rd guild is my bank guild - it consists of just my bank alt and my GF's bank alt. we both use ONLY our bank alts to post to the AH (on the Alliance side). On the horde side, we both use bank alts that do not belong to any guild.

So there you go - my accounts are EXACTLY what they said would not be counted. Hence, their data is NOT complete.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

And this MMO is the biggest MMO for North America.

If you want a huge pool of players to play with in North America you are stuck with Call of Duty.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I wish more people would acknowledge that.

I personally don't like CoD because I prefer adventure games, rpgs, not shooters.

But whenever I hear people say things like "WoW has the largest population of any video game" I constantly want to respond "I would be playing with more people right now if I was playing Call of Duty"

I honestly think people need to look at WoW in a more general category, one that includes console games and all other platforms. Once you do so, WoW's superiority starts to become greatly dimished. The common reponse to this accusation is either that console games or people who play console games suck. Fine, but that's simultaneously acknowledging that WoW is quite niche, in that it not only applies only to people who like MMOs, but then even people who like MMOs these days will typically choose another MMO over WoW. Is it quite rare these days for someone who knows nothing about WoW or anyone in WoW to walk into a game store and decide to try out WoW for the very first time. Then, when they do join, there's no tutorial and everyone insults them by calling then a noob rather than helping.

WoW isn't dead, but people need to recognize that it's becoming increasingly niche.
Edited by Rentrenus on 2/8/2013 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
North America has never been a large consumer of adventure games, role playing games, or puzzle games.

North America is a console market, yes WoW is a niche but it's a huge niche.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
North America has never been a large consumer of adventure games, role playing games, or puzzle games.

North America is a console market

and those consoles have adventure games, puzzle games, and role-playing games.

What exactly do you think games like skyrim, portal, batman, drake's adventure, and the walking dead are? You are quite mistaken if you think the only games that sell on consoles are shooters O.o
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

North America is a console market, yes WoW is a niche but it's a huge niche.

More like America hasn't been a terribly good extended game market. We seem to replace our games quite frequently. And the multiplayer we do have, isn't as dedicated, extensive, or time consuming as MMOs. MMOs seem to be most popular in Korea/Asia in general - because by their very nature they are grindy.

Honestly, if I didn't play WoW, I'd be playing a lot of other games. The periods where I did quit and didn't feel the desire to play WoW (which goes quite quickly), I played so many games it was ridiculous. Not so much now that I'm back.

Look at Skyrim, though. Or Fallout 3/New Vegas. Those games are adventure games, roleplaying games. Yet they do very well because they are not only from a large publisher, but also are on all major consoles and let players do what they want by just dropping in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

North America is a console market

and those consoles have adventure games, puzzle games, and role-playing games.

What exactly do you think games like skyrim, portal, batman, drake's adventure, and the walking dead are? You are quite mistaken if you think the only games that sell on consoles are shooters O.o

They are some of the few games that people play longer than a week on. How many people still play portal from when it came out?

It was played heavily for a couple weeks then people went back to Team Fortress

We consume games, then drop them just as easily.

We don't have the same attitude towards gaming like EU or Korean markets do.

We want it all, we want it now, then we'll change our minds and find something new.
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Druid
I'm a little lost as to what the point of this whole discussion is lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 01:53 PMPosted by Shanleiya
I'm a little lost as to what the point of this whole discussion is lol

OP is concerned with the fact that North America home to what... ~350 million people
how many of which have an internet connect
a good computer
play video games at all
are in the intended age range?

on top of which MMOs are not the most popular type of video game
consoles are more popular than PC

put it altogether, it's not surprising that WoW is sitting at the numbers it does in NA
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I have two accounts. My main account has 2 90s, an 88 and four 85's. The highest level toon on my secondary account is 48.

I'm averaging one 90 per account but those 90's are well played if not actually played well.
Reply Quote
14 Worgen Rogue
02/07/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Arathyn
Data http://wow.realmpop.com/

This website has known issues and doesn't have the proper data, please stop using it for these posts.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/08/2013 02:37 AMPosted by Dreagan
This is a surprise? As the older generation gets up in age they move on from the MMORPG genre entirely and the younger generation is more interested in calling each other names on LoL or CoD.

Really? I'm 62... Love mmorpgs Most of the people I knew in real life have died off or moved.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]