Tired of the hate... how about you?

100 Tauren Shaman
02/08/2013 03:45 AMPosted by Maati
I see more people focused on tearing one another down than tearing through the game's challenge.

Exactly. And its sad.

Solution? Change ppls hearts and attitudes, a tall order indeed for Blizz. I think they can do it!

/Cheers
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
You know, Blizz does try and prevent people from being jerks in the game. Unfortunately their techniques currently just make it easier of those very same people to abuse the system and other players even more.

If they could enact an actual level penalty per player across all characters once a number of legitimate complaints has gone through, that might make people stop and think a little more carefully about what they do and say. Drop abusive players characters 30 levels each time they have an altercation. No accounts get banned, the company doesn't lose money. Only those without self control who keep up abuse might be driven away when they can never get their characters past level 1.

That would be my solution if I were among the Blizz Gods.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I understand completely where you're coming from. Seems just about every game community is like this now, and I can't stand it.

I avoid interaction with other players completely now. Honestly, I don't even know why I bother playing. I don't PvE, at all, ever... Never again will I do a random dungeon, I don't seek out a competent arena partner or RBG group, though the few RBG groups I've been in have been somewhat enjoyable... though with impossible requirements I'm not 'good' enough to be in them since I didn't start the expansion from day one and pull power game sessions to max level, so I'm left behind getting 2 shot by many classes.

Dailys, I do them with my GF who plays also, then we just log out and watch a movie or whatever. Yeah, I blame the next generation of gamers for being complete !@#$ heads. 10 years ago, game communities were nothing like this.
Reply Quote
You know, Blizz does try and prevent people from being jerks in the game. Unfortunately their techniques currently just make it easier of those very same people to abuse the system and other players even more.

If they could enact an actual level penalty per player across all characters once a number of legitimate complaints has gone through, that might make people stop and think a little more carefully about what they do and say. Drop abusive players characters 30 levels each time they have an altercation. No accounts get banned, the company doesn't lose money. Only those without self control who keep up abuse might be driven away when they can never get their characters past level 1.

That would be my solution if I were among the Blizz Gods.

What about all the people below level cap? I'd rather not go through twenty more hours getting those 30 levels back. Also, people would abuse this system by purposefully acting stupid in dungeons so other people would yell and they could report them.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I think that if everyone were aware of the level penalty those in the group would be civil and hold their tongue. That way the one person being stupid takes the fall, rather those people who might be inclined towards yelling at them.

As for people below level cap - I think it should apply to all characters the perpetrator has, on all realms no matter what level. So let's say they have 7 characters, all different levels. Every single one of them drops 30 levels. If they are below 30, they drop to level 1. If they are level 1s just logging to be abusive, their account is at a last resort banned.

02/08/2013 08:38 AMPosted by Vinjally
I'd rather not go through twenty more hours getting those 30 levels

This right here is the point. If the idea could be made to work, I think it would create a great deal of change in players' attitudes towards one another. Banning abusive players from chat or from forums is a minor delay, nothing more. Yet if you start taking away their XP and make them have to re-grind back to where they were - that is a more serious punishment that no one wants to deal with. Especially NOT across all of their characters. Could you imagine having to re-level 3 or 4 of your lvl 90's back up from 60?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Yeah, I blame the next generation of gamers for being complete !@#$ heads. 10 years ago, game communities were nothing like this.

^ This. /thread
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I've been multiboxing a lot this expansion.

In the past I wouldn't have, because I enjoyed meeting people in pugs.

I don't anymore though, and so I don't feel bad about multiboxing instead.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Warlock
02/08/2013 08:35 AMPosted by Uzzìel
I avoid interaction with other players completely now.

I do the same thing. I have seen too much already to know that its not something I want to subject myself to if I am going to be playing a game. I play to get away from jerks not go find more, and even sometimes, they find me but not often because I try not to go into town too much unless I have to or into other populated areas unless I have to. If I do, I do what I came there to do and leave.

Yes I have heard all that mess of "grow thicker skin" and all that, and the answer, no. I'm not going to change myself just to play a game. I do my time in that at work, I'm not about to start not being myself in a game. I'm getting really skilled at staying away and watching from a distance, turning off chat, getting out of trade chat and trying real hard to just ignore what I do have to read at times.

Its the only way now that I can enjoy this game. Yes I give up LFR/LFG and most dungeon runs, that's fine, there is always something to give up for something else. I'll pay that price rather than be around what I have seen from a distance, heard in chat before I turned it off, and read about.

Not to say your wrong if your doing it differently because that is fine but these passive aggressive, demanding, patronizing, snarky, and down right nasty comments are something I can easily do without. I know I can't stop it, but I can stay away from it and I do.
Edited by Lunataria on 2/8/2013 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
95 Undead Rogue
Personlly I've encountered a lot more "hate" here on the forums than I have while playing.

With that said, though I've only done a little bit of PvP (just enough to get a couple heirloom pieces to help level alts... don't like it so probably won't go back). And I don't raid (yet) so I've not had to deal with the more "serious minded" raiders that have such high expectations.

So.. maybe I'm just not encountering many of the "haters". I have a good time doing lots of diffrent things and have interacted with some very nice people. Maybe it's just me?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
So I am reading through these posts and you guys are pretty much confirming what I believed to be the case. People who are abusive are making you change the way you experience warcraft AND directly affecting what you do, how much you enjoy yourself. I've read through a number of the posts in the general forum this morning. In some way or another, I am seeing this repetitive trend going through many of them. Rude/abusive players are destroying other casual player's enjoyment quite a bit.

Yes, yes, I know there are all things that have come out in the expansion are of considerable dislike too. The thing is, the game and the mechanics change at least. Those can be improved. But rude players are continually getting away with ruining the game and forcing us to tolerate (when we must) their unsavory behavior. Essentially they are turning many of us towards isolation and a social breakdown.

It's disappointing to hear that many of you are doing the same thing I am, ignoring contact at all costs. The internet tends to be a place where people will shoot their mouths off, pick on others, or argue and irritate users for no reason. Without some sort of regulation or penalty that means something to players, I don't see this trend ever stopping in Warcraft. I see it continuing on and potentially poisoning the community beyond repair. Many of you are saying you don't like the climate and don't know why you play. Some of you lucky posters seem to have skated through without the negative experiences.

I am glad there are varied opinions and experiences here. It does give me some hope that not everything is tainted with negativity. My solution, as I stated before would be to penalize abusive players by dropping all of their characters levels. What would you guys do/suggest?

Editing for adding more to post.

Some of you have brought up hate on the forums. I've also seen my fair share of that, I simply don't read or respond when it turns into a pointless flame fest. I actually gave up on the forums for quite awhile because every topic was ridiculous or just led into brain melting negativity. The moderators have a lot to keep up with for sure. I think I'd also enact a level penalty for abuse on the forums but that would probably be next to impossible.
Edited by Maati on 2/8/2013 11:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
I do not use any type of lfg function in game. I grind dailys and fart around with arch and such, and though I enjoy it to an extent, I am bored, but I am burnt out on progressive raiding, I do not want to commit myself to a team as my lifestyle has changed, I would not be an asset and I do not want people relying on me, plus I got sick of the elitism and egos that developed, it made me very uncomfortable.

People are meaner now, they really are, in all games. I love Blizz and Azeroth, but I would be the first in line to buy a game to solo or even co-op. I think I am tired of MMOs and playing with others. I am sorry I don't have thick skin, and I am having to pay $15 a month and I am only having fun in less than half the content because of how my fellow gamers treat each others, why am I still here?

I am not leet player and I learn better by doing than reading tutorials. I do not mind wiping the raid until we get it right. I do not like rushing because I want time to think a sec and look around at the beautiful artwork. I also don't blow every cool down I have on every mob in the building to drive up the epeen meters so I get insulted for my low dps.

I am tired of today's gaming community. I really am. There is no comaraderie anymore, there is no sense of helping some one out, there is no feeling of team anymore, it just feels like *Ok lets log on and see how big of douchebag I can be today and how much loot I can get in the fastest time possible."

I am not a saint, I have had my moments where my temper has flared and I have said things I regret later, but that is totally different from screaming at someone how they suck after two pulls and then kicking them. People also get kicked for laughs. That really stinks when you are pure dps class and have waited a long time in a queue...

I also dislike the lack of respect, common courtesy, etc. especially when it comes to loot distribution. My bf ran a low level dungeon last night and a paladin needed on and won a staff..Dude couldn't even equip it but hey that silver> gearing someone who could have used it.

*shrug* I dunno...I do not wear rose colored glasses thinking about vanilla, but the community was much better back then, it really was.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HA!

You think this community was lovey dovey and helpful? You may only think that because the community was smaller.

I remember my realm forums way back....they were very active and very spiteful.

Many people quit in tears over some of the things that were done and said, it's nicer now because there is no "community".

No more naked pictures of female raiders floating around, no more hacking into other players accounts to shard their gear, no more "FU go cry more and quit this game" threads.

No sneaking into other guild's vents and crashing them...

It's almost kind of nice.

I also imagine you never visited most of the old WoW forums?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I just recently returned and am trying to do the best to create a fun environment. But the negative feeling of the community is over whelming. I think everyone who has any related feelings should all create a guild so they can enjoy the game to the max. PST when this happens so I can xfer and join.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
HA!

You think this community was lovey dovey and helpful? You may only think that because the community was smaller.

Many people quit in tears over some of the things that were done and said, it's nicer now because there is no "community".

No more naked pictures of female raiders floating around, no more hacking into other players accounts to shard their gear, no more "FU go cry more and quit this game" threads.

There have always been and always will be jerks who do the things you stated BUT overall, the community was better back then.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

Naked pictures of female raiders floating around. Huh, I must have completely missed that chunk of WoW history. But that's not exactly a person with an attitude problem, that's a person/persons who made very poor choices and suffered the consequences.

Also, hacking is a security issue, someone would do it and vanish - a one time deal and then finished. Not day in and day out of terrible trashing on someone.

Lastly, quit this game threads I saw plenty of and those of course were probably the very first roots of the abusive gaming environment.

I can't say I ever had anyone get onto my guilds vent and crash it. We ran with a tight knit group. Maybe we were just lucky?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Naked pictures of female raiders floating around. Huh, I must have completely missed that chunk of WoW history. But that's not exactly a person with an attitude problem, that's a person/persons who made very poor choices and suffered the consequences.

Also, hacking is a security issue, someone would do it and vanish - a one time deal and then finished. Not day in and day out of terrible trashing on someone.

Lastly, quit this game threads I saw plenty of and those of course were probably the very first roots of the abusive gaming environment.

I can't say I ever had anyone get onto my guilds vent and crash it. We ran with a tight knit group. Maybe we were just lucky?

Korgath was always an interesting server...we even have a facebook group where we can still make fun of everyone's gear.

I remember nice people as well...but I remember a lot of griefing and a lot of cruel heartless people.

I just thought the heartless people were funny and made general chat in Black Temple more fun.

I remember a guy on one server Stone Guard Nachos and he would duel people naked with a fishing pole.

I also got a 20 page thread telling me to shard my gear and quit playing because my priest used 1 red intellect gem instead of all purple gems.
Edited by Elpaladini on 2/8/2013 12:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
The problem for us Vanilla types is that when we started WOW was a social MMO. You had to find a group that would work together to overcome the challenges in the game.

WOW is no longer a social MMO, for better or worse. For that matter, it's status as an MMO is questionable. At this point, with LFD, LFR, and Dailies, you can "gear out" your toon without ever talking to another player.

WOW can be considered a single player RPG almost as much as it is a MMO.

In Vanilla, you couldn't even finish a lot of quests without a group. If you wanted be all end all tier gear, you better find a good raid group, and be prepared to earn it. Now, our gimmieitnow culture demands instant gratification, which we have been given, at the expense of the community.

There is an attitude that casuals and single players should be able to accomplish everything a dedicated raid group can. The problem with that is that if you can go it alone, why bother grouping?

WOW is at a crossroads. Is it going forward as a MMO that requires social raiding to succeed? Or is it a single player RPG? I don't believe it can succeed as both, and the single player must be able to succeed on their own mentality is destroying the MMO aspect of the game.

Don't get me wrong I still love the game, but raiding has always been my favorite part of it, and raiding has been on the decline for years. 40 mans are long gone, 25 mans are almost gone, and lately even 10 mans are suffering. Most of the time raid gear or better is available with Valor and dailies, or even LFR.

So the question remains, is WOW going to be a social MMORPG, or a gimmienow SPRPG?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
To the OP:
TURN YOUR CHAT OFF!!!!

Leave only the guild chat and whisper option on, that way you don't have to deal with all the crap during dungeon/LFR runs.

I do this and I'm now a much happier player. Zone in, pew pew pew, leave. Rinse and repeat.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
HA!

Bingo. I remember the old forums. They were horrible.

Suggestion forums, remember that cesspit? I do.
Remember the whine-fest that came about during the zombie invasion event? I do.

This idea that the forums were this bastion of help and support is completely false.

The same goes for in-game.

Remember Barrens chat? I do.
Remember Darkshore chat? I do.
Remember Westfall chat? I do.
Remember the global LFG channel? Oh god, I do.
Edited by Miaya on 2/8/2013 1:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
To the OP:
TURN YOUR CHAT OFF!!!!

Leave only the guild chat and whisper option on, that way you don't have to deal with all the crap during dungeon/LFR runs.

I do this and I'm now a much happier player. Zone in, pew pew pew, leave. Rinse and repeat.

I get where you're coming from but at the point I turn my chat off I really don't feel like WoW is any different from any other single player game out there, except I find I enjoy the artwork over most other games.

There's no real point in keeping up a subscription if I am intentionally avoiding nearly 60% or more of what the money is supposed to be invested towards. I don't need an 'online experience' if I'm not interacting with other players, just watching them do something. There are plenty of games out there I can buy once and never pay another fee, or buy multiple single player games with the money I would normally use on subscription.

Khorgun has brought up a very interesting observation and I think he's right about the game changing into a SPRPG, where you can do it all yourself, you rarely need others and rarely need guilds. This leads to a sort of independence I suppose where people feel they can actively be rude to other people without suffering any consequences. Therefore, more people are actively taking the, "I'm a jerk and there's nothing you can do about it," stance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]