Blizzard's Prioritization of Thread Responses

90 Troll Monk
I know it's been talked about before, but I've noticed blizzard really only responds to joke/fun threads with a comic one-liner or to answer very basic questions by new players (saw one a second ago that asked if they could realm/faction change at same time, worthy of a blue post?).

I know many posts are volatile and overly-critical on the forums, but even many of the constructively critical posts, even those that get on the popular threads list never receive any blue response. I'm just tired of useless blizz posts that at most just give the illusion of being involved in community discussion.
Edited by Ntaki on 2/7/2013 5:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
There are many reasons, most of which people don't want to hear. So I'll just post two of the simpler easier to accept ones.

1. They will only post in 'serious' threads if they have something to relay from the devs or something new to explain. If they don't have new info to relay or it's been discussed before - they'll generally ignore the thread.

2. They've been around long enough to know to avoid certain kinds of no-win (flamefest) threads. I cannot imagine any rational Blue ever entering a pvp class-balance thread for instance. Nothing good would come of it.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
Remember also, these threads are primarily supposed to be a place for the players to discuss the game. Not to be a place to demand answers from Blizzard. Yes, the CMs do answer threads--particularly ones that have an easy black and white answer. But that's really not their main function. They're here to be intermediaries to give our feedback to the development team and (as Snow mentioned) to relay information from the developers when there's something to tell us.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
02/07/2013 05:22 PMPosted by Ntaki
"We read it and we're considering many ideas."

If they did this?

Every 3rd thread would be demanding "why didn't you read mine"?
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I definitely agree that most posts in these forums are way too volatile to deserve a blue post, but so many I see with constructive ideas typed in completely proper syntax never seem to get attention. At least maybe a "We read it and we're considering many ideas."

Well, people have asked for that before... and here's the problem:

People who don't believe the blues are currently silently reading the threads already, aren't going to believe it's anything but copypasta if they post that they read it and are considering options.

... and as Crepe pointed out - it would be 'BLUES PLEASE READ' in every thread title from then on.
Edited by Snowfox on 2/7/2013 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I definitely agree that most posts in these forums are way too volatile to deserve a blue post, but so many I see with constructive ideas typed in completely proper syntax never seem to get attention. At least maybe a "We read it and we're considering many ideas."

Talking about good feedback with proper syntax, i have often seen threads like this ignored by the players too and wondered if the OP should of made an outrageous statement as well as to attract flamers and troll to get the reply count up to ensure some legitimate player feedback as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
02/07/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Snowfox
2. They've been around long enough to know to avoid certain kinds of no-win (flamefest) threads. I cannot imagine any rational Blue ever entering a pvp class-balance thread for instance. Nothing good would come of it.

Draztal in EU seems to post in flamefest threads. Surely you remember his posts in hard core/snowflakes vs casuals/scrubs debate?
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Hunter
02/05/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Bashiok
It meant that if you were even slightly behind the curve you could potentially never catch up.

I'm going to ignore everything else you said and instead quote this one sentence out of context and refute it vehemently.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
This comic outlines my point http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/comics/?view#/comic-2006-07-zenkai
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
02/07/2013 05:24 PMPosted by Ntaki
thx for the answers, that makes sense. is there more active participation by blizz on the ptr forums or the suggestion forums for example?

I see the most in the customer support forums, although there is some in the PTR forums too.

Generally speaking though, the blues try not to get into situations where players expect responses from them. That's not what the forums are for, and just a little of that leads to a lot of people complaining/begging/demanding blue responses to their threads.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
02/07/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Crepe
"We read it and we're considering many ideas."

If they did this?

Every 3rd thread would be demanding "why didn't you read mine"?

And they don't already?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
02/07/2013 05:26 PMPosted by Infectiious
Draztal in EU seems to post in flamefest threads. Surely you remember his posts in hard core/snowflakes vs casuals/scrubs debate?

The EU forums have a history of being a bit more harshly moderated.

I'd suggest not comparing the two. Unless you're interested in these forums being more harshly moderated. Because I don't think they're about to become less so.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Simple threads really don't require a lot of time. For funny threads, they have to type of a couple sentenses and they're good. Same with simple questions. The more critical threads they'd have to do research, possibly talk to devs for the answers. That takes a lot more time to do, so unless it's something really worth while to post, they'd just silently read.
Reply Quote
70 Pandaren Monk
These forums are not here for the Blizzard to respond to us, but are here for us, the players, to debate and converse with each other.

I think its awesome that Blizzard even responds at all.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/07/2013 05:24 PMPosted by Ntaki
thx for the answers, that makes sense. is there more active participation by blizz on the ptr forums or the suggestion forums for example?

Yes, the Role forums get more back and forth with Blues. Class forums are mostly read in silence because Bash said there's no discussions with varying viewpoints, since it's like talking to the choir.

Bug Reports gets read closely cuz bugs. We don't have a Suggestion Forum anymore. PTR is always the hot zone.

General is for disseminating the latest news and then policed. The social one-liner threads are safe havens for all of us to post the silly.

They have people reading everything they said, though they rarely post. Let them do their jobs and you go play the game. If you find serious booboos, you know where to post. If you want personal attention, send an email.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Class forums are mostly read in silence because Bash said there's no discussions with varying viewpoints, since it's like talking to the choir.

Except for the priest forums, which are like singing with the Power Word: Choir.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We answer what we can. Not replying to a thread does not mean it wasn't noticed. We read and track numerous discussion topics daily and relay that feedback to the developers in weekly meetings.

Forward looking questions like "When is the patch coming out?" or "When will <insert request here> happen?"; an answer may not be available until all the details have been confirmed internally. Other times, the questions themselves are loaded or leading.
Edited by Rygarius on 2/7/2013 5:45 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]