Blizzard's Prioritization of Thread Responses

90 Draenei Hunter
The OP makes an excellent point. All one has to do is look at the EU blue posters like Draztal and you can see the disparity that is mentioned. Draztal will take time to post multiple times in a thread and converse with the people there even if they are just trying to rake him over the coals. His posts may not contain things that I agree with as a player or a customer, but the fact that he is there, in the trenches makes me respect him that much more.

Coffee Bird, you can say that you deliver our feedback to the Devs, but even Murloc boy takes the time to post that he is doing that, on more than one occasion. We have no proof that our voices are heard especially when you consider the things we are trying to change, in fact do not change. So to that end we almost have proof that feedback is not being delivered, or considered even if it is. Often all we get is immediate push back and toting the company line, and those are in the real whiner attention grabber threads. The ones where mostly constructive discussion is going on seem to be bereft of any notice at all, even if they get highly rated.

DISCLAIMER: I am not attempting to cite a specific example in the paragraph below. I do not nor can not claim to know what any significant percentage of the player base wants.

Finally sometimes we have been told too bad, so sad too often. I know this isn't design by democracy, but considering an argument where 99% of the people want something to be easier and 1% of them want it to stay the same or get harder, its real easy to decide which direction to go. You stand to lose much more from the 99% crowd than you do the 1%.

(You can hate on me all you want for my choice of numbers there, but when you look at a population like hardcore vs casual numbers are pretty much close to that)

The thing is, from what discussions I have participated in, a good majority of people have given great suggestions to solve issues that really don't effect how things are now, they are just giving something back that was taken away. if you like it the new way, go for it! If you don't, here is another way to do it. I could go into specifics here, but that discussion belongs in another thread.

TL;DR EU Blues are making US Blues look bad, Good Threads are ignored, we have no way to know we are being heard.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
We answer what we can. Not replying to a thread does not mean it wasn't noticed. We read and track numerous discussion topics daily and relay that feedback to the developers in weekly meetings.

Forward looking questions like "When is the patch coming out?" or "When will <insert request here> happen?"; an answer may not be available until all the details have been confirmed internally. Other times, the questions themselves are loaded or leading.

I think you guys had a dev lurking the forums one day back in Cata when I made this:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3765087988

On my priest. She has horns now, she's happy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
02/07/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Rygarius
the questions themselves are loaded or leading.

I don't even know what that means.

Anyway, has Blizzard always had an Alliance bias?

Heehee =)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The OP makes an excellent point. All one has to do is look at the EU blue posters like Draztal and you can see the disparity that is mentioned. Draztal will take time to post multiple times in a thread and converse with the people there even if they are just trying to rake him over the coals. His posts may not contain things that I agree with as a player or a customer, but the fact that he is there, in the trenches makes me respect him that much more.

Coffee Bird, you can say that you deliver our feedback to the Devs, but even Murloc boy takes the time to post that he is doing that, on more than one occasion. We have no proof that our voices are heard especially when you consider the things we are trying to change, in fact do not change. So to that end we almost have proof that feedback is not being delivered, or considered even if it is. Often all we get is immediate push back and toting the company line, and those are in the real whiner attention grabber threads. The ones where mostly constructive discussion is going on seem to be bereft of any notice at all, even if they get highly rated.

DISCLAIMER: I am not attempting to cite a specific example in the paragraph below. I do not nor can not claim to know what any significant percentage of the player base wants.

Finally sometimes we have been told too bad, so sad too often. I know this isn't design by democracy, but considering an argument where 99% of the people want something to be easier and 1% of them want it to stay the same or get harder, its real easy to decide which direction to go. You stand to lose much more from the 99% crowd than you do the 1%.

(You can hate on me all you want for my choice of numbers there, but when you look at a population like hardcore vs casual numbers are pretty much close to that)

The thing is, from what discussions I have participated in, a good majority of people have given great suggestions to solve issues that really don't effect how things are now, they are just giving something back that was taken away. if you like it the new way, go for it! If you don't, here is another way to do it. I could go into specifics here, but that discussion belongs in another thread.

Bravo.

02/08/2013 09:46 AMPosted by Rangikuu
TL;DR EU Blues are making US Blues look bad, Good Threads are ignored, we have no way to know we are being heard.

100% agreed. Too bad we won't be getting another blue response. They're probably on other threads talking about bunnies or picking up daisies.
Edited by Adios on 2/8/2013 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
02/08/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Vhoori
Remember also, these threads are primarily supposed to be a place for the players to discuss the game. Not to be a place to demand answers from Blizzard. Yes, the CMs do answer threads--particularly ones that have an easy black and white answer. But that's really not their main function. They're here to be intermediaries to give our feedback to the development team and (as Snow mentioned) to relay information from the developers when there's something to tell us.

This to me says that the MVP green texts are superfluous. Sorry but to me the MVP's resemble the goodie goodie in the front of the class always sucking up to the teacher. Or they just need to feel important but aren't really in the big picture.

Would you like to know how we view people who post things like you did, too?
Reply Quote

I am not sure what kind of "proof that our voices are heard" could be offered you if you consider responses that don't conform to what you think 99% of the playerbase wants as "push back and toting the company line." Nothing short of distribution of meeting minutes with action items would likely be sufficient.

That's the chief problem I see with these types of complaints -- folks want proof that they've been heard. That "proof" is impossible to provide, but anything short of that proof is seen as irrelevant or PR.

It's rather a no-win. Could communications/community management be better? Sure, there's room for improvement in anything, but I am far from convinced by threads like this that it's broken.

We will close with a reading from the holy book of Tseric:
Can't help it.
Posting impassionately, they say you don't care.
Posting nothing, they say you ignore.
Posting with passion, you incite trolls.
Posting fluff, you say nonsense.
Post with what facts you have, they whittle down with rationale.
There is no win.
There is only slow degradation.
Take note. It is the first and only time you'll see someone in my position make that position.
You can be me when I'm gone.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
02/08/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Vhoori
Would you like to know how we view people who post things like you did, too?

Yes I would please, maybe get an actual straight answer out of one of you yet!

Well, from my perspective the complainers are the depressed class clowns who lack self-confidence. So they lash out at anything and everything in misguided "fight the man" teenage angst. Anyone they perceive as even remotely part of "the system", they stereotype as an unthinking zombie who just can't see how horrible the world really is.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
02/07/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Rygarius
; there is no sit around all day and read the forums guy/gal

I'd like to apply for the position.
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Rogue
The CM's can't fix the loot tables though (regarding the Sha/Galleon mount threads). Do you just want a response saying "We read this and have directed your concerns to the proper department"? I'm just really not sure what people expect Blues to say about a lot of things.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
The thread regarding the sha and galleon mounts has now capped 3 times and is already on the 4th page. Perhaps a response to that one would be warranted
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Rogue
02/08/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Nixilaas
The thread regarding the sha and galleon mounts has now capped 3 times and is already on the 4th page. Perhaps a response to that one would be warranted

02/08/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Maneglorious
The CM's can't fix the loot tables though (regarding the Sha/Galleon mount threads). Do you just want a response saying "We read this and have directed your concerns to the proper department"? I'm just really not sure what people expect Blues to say about a lot of things.

I really just want to understand what type of response the players would feel is appropriate while not having any Blues stick their foot in it on topics they don't personally deal with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]