Better Solutions for Guild Hacking

90 Human Warlock
Yesterday our guild was hacked. Hacker became Guild Master and kicked out all 370 members.
Blizzard restored GM to proper person...but that was all they did..that was not enough. I spoke to a Game Master to see if they could do a roll back and put all 370 members back in guild...they said that was not possible. I disagree..it is possible...but they chose not to do it probably as some sort of a Blizzard policy. That needs to be changed. We have some members who only log on a few times a month. They will not understand what happened. A list of all 370 members is still up on Wow-Heroes. Blizzard knows the guild member names. Some members we will never get back. Now we have to add each member back as they log on...very tedious and time consuming.
There needs to be more Blizzard can do. There is no reason that I can think of why they should not be able to help and do a complete guild restore. We know all the players names...all that needed to be done was to put their names back into the guild. That in itself should be a pretty simple task for Blizzard.
There should be more of a solution than simply Blizzard returning the power of Guild Master to the proper person. Also....it took many hours for Blizzard to even contact out GM. A guild being hacked is probably what I would consider a very big game emergency. I can not think of a bigger emergency in the game. There needs to be a way to contact Blizzard imediatly that by-passes a basic Ticket.
I have played WOW for 5 years ....I rarely have a complaint....but this is the most disappointed I have ever been with Blizzard in resolving a game issue.
Edited by Zalliano on 2/8/2013 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Given your title, I thought this would be a thread about HOW to hack a guild?

Anyway - a hacker can't just "become" the Guild Master (unless they hacked the GM's account - in which case they ARE the GM already).

Personally, if it was me, I would just tell you "sorry" and do nothing else. The responsibility lies solely on your guild master for allowing this to happen.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Yeah, I agree.

Back in Cata, the first guild I was in got hacked in the middle of the night when no one was on. I woke up the next day, and discovered I was guildless. I was upset at first because we were a close-knit guild. Then a couple minutes later, one of my fellow guildies came on, and, they too, were guildless. As more and more of my friends came on and discovered they were not in the guild, we were starting to panic. Finally, a close friend of our Guild Master came on, I told her of the issue and she fb messaged our GM.

Well, our assumptions were right. The guild DID get hacked. Our leader told us to make a "Make-shift" guild to put our toons in so we wouldn't get "targeted" by other guilds during this time, and her friend wrote a ticket to get our GM and guild back. We did, and one by one, we were re-guilded and given our old ranks. Even though our Guild level was retained, our reputations were reset. (back in the days where you left a guild that very moment, you lost all your rep.)

I wish they could fix these kind of things sooner because guilds are a VERY large part of the game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
What emergency would be bigger than one hacker affecting 370 players ? It may not be a number one emergency...but it is at the top of the list.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I now have to send over 300 in game emails to guild members explaining what happened.. My main point here is that Blizzard....with a basic flip of a switch..could restore the guild in a matter of seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
What happened was a new member was using fowl language in guild ...G Master went to click to remove him from the guild and made him Guild Master by mistake.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Your guild didn't get hacked, your GM was hacked.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
02/08/2013 11:53 AMPosted by Zalliano
with a basic flip of a switch..could restore the guild in a matter of seconds.

No. They'd need to do it by hand.

They don't have a tool to do this. And it's not a service they offer.

"Rollbacks" aren't something they do. The only time I've seen it referenced is when someone's compromised and moved to a different realm. There's a backup generated in case the move goes wrong and they can roll the character back to that point in time.
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Death Knight
hacking is a pretty specific term

what really happened was you got phished

phishing generally happens to old people and the computer illiterate
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
What happened was a new member was using fowl language in guild ...G Master went to click to remove him from the guild and made him Guild Master by mistake.

So, the guild wasn't hacked.. your gm made a mistake.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Don't worry OP, if some of those inactive members do come back and wonder why they were booted and they really care about the guild, they will type "/who yourguildname", whisper one of the members and ask what happened or just ask for a re-invite!

My guild leader boots inactive guild members all the time who haven't logged for several years, and every now and then they do return to WoW, they whisper an officer and get re-invited back.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

No. They'd need to do it by hand.

I don't see a big problem with this, personally. When I was younger, I worked a lot of customer service jobs, and there were simply times when a customer required more of my time. Big deal. I would spend the time with them, going over their records carefully until we had the problem resolved. That's just how it goes sometimes. Many of my cohorts would encounter situations like that and lie to the customer, telling them that there wasn't much they could do, rather than take the time to do the work. Some of them would go so far as to fake a disconnect with the customer. It taught me that when you're dealing with customer service, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

I'm not saying that's what happened here. It's also true that sometimes CSRs are not empowered to help customers as much as they'd like, due to company policy, and that might be the case here.

OP, if I were in your position, I'd probably file a ticket myself. Hell, maybe get a bunch of guildies to file tickets. Maybe someone will get lucky and land on an especially conscientious GM. Or maybe you'll just clog up the queue a little bit, but I don't view that as a particularly big deal either. Sometimes the queues are long and sometimes they're less long. It happens.

PS - Your guild master should really get an authenticator, and so should the officers. It's a real mess when the guild master/officers get hacked, and while I do think that you guys should get a pass this one time, I don't think that the GMs should have to clean up this mess every time someone gets hacked because the guild master/officers aren't willing to take very basic security measures.
Edited by Chunk on 2/8/2013 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/08/2013 11:55 AMPosted by Zalliano

This is a big difference then being hacked. Your Guild Master made a mistake, you should be thankful that blizz did anything in this situation, there is nothing in the TOS that even guaranteed Blizz would give the guild back to the GM, because technically he willingly gave control to another person who as Guild Master is then allowed to do whatever he wants to with that guild.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It still generally falls under " hacked"....
Reply Quote
86 Gnome Mage
They have a better solution in place for guild hacking. It's called an authenticator. Your GM might want to check into one of those.
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
02/08/2013 11:55 AMPosted by Zalliano

Your guild wasn't hacked. Your GM made a really bad mistake. It wasn't hacked at all. In any form. At all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
No, I don't think it's considered hacking if the dude made the guy a GM. Even by accident. Hacking is a whole different term.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/08/2013 12:19 PMPosted by Zalliano
It still generally falls under " hacked"....

no it doesn't... learn the meaning of the word.
Reply Quote
NM, I've read what happened.

Your GM should be slapped.
Edited by Gambles on 2/8/2013 12:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]