Meanwhile in South Korea...

90 Goblin Priest
02/07/2013 06:56 PMPosted by Coreanshammy
I know you don't even want to see my face, but I just like being in a community. I know you do not want to see me around, so I just hide myself around mountains or corners of big cities...

Why does this feel like a facebook shareme ploy. if this is real, this man has been beaten down by life.
90 Tauren Death Knight
02/07/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Fran
this game is very important.

Is that a "" from "the guild" :D
90 Troll Shaman
Ok i've seen this post come up a few times and was dreading reading it. It was actually a good story. Korea sounds like it has a strange culture, even in Azeroth!
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/07/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Ntaki
That hit me right in the feels.
90 Troll Mage
Oh? Is it story time?

Ok, well when I first started playing this game in Burning Crusade, I was extremely bad. Yeah, that's right, I admit it. My gems were awful, my stats were even worse, and I wore PVP gear trying to PVE in BC. I had no clue what I was doing, I was ridiculed by many, and immediately kicked out of dungeon groups once they saw my gear (who cared because I was a dps). In these times you can either sit, cry, and blame the community, OR you can do something about it. I chose to do something about it to prove these people wrong. It's amazing what a very small (yes, simple Google search) amount of research can do.

I don't understand why people think the game has changed for the worse because I can tell you those cruel and elitist players have always existed, I feel moreso pre-Wrath. As much as I feel for the story OP shared, I can only sit and think about those players who will always just be BAD at gaming no matter how much you try and improve the way they play the game.

It's not the community's job to take care of individual people in the player base. If you're terrible, do something about it.
MVP
90 Human Warlock
While it may not be the community's job to take of individual people in the player base, is it any moreso the job of the community to act like complete and utter prats to others who in their (sometimes very self-inflated) opinion is a noob/bad/etc.? Just because one *can* act like a jerk doesn't mean one *should* act like a jerk to other people.
90 Dwarf Death Knight
This is a great post but i think is not only limited to Korea

Online gaming community in general is growing really really fast and is becoming more ruthless on the aspect that everyone expects everyone to be hardcore-forged veterans when actually most of the newcomers are being kept by a gap getting wider over time

The reason is because the old gamers are forgetting what it was like to discover this awesome online gaming community, and instead of spreading this great feeling of comradeship that you can develop across the world by the internet with their peers in real life, they are trying to make it elite and inaccessible for the people still trying to adopt this online gaming culture in general, or at least they made it so the people without as much experience in this genre of gaming sure feel miserable

It seems as if you were shooting on your own foot because as close-minded as the ingame people can be to outsiders or late adopters outside of the game you encounter the same people outside of the games, thinking that you're playing tetris online or wasting time.

A couple of days ago my brother, who doesn't really care or minds about online stuff outside of his e-mail or ebay saw me doing attempts on heroic raids, and in awe he asked me "how the hell can you manage that much stuff", for him the whole ventrilo coordination + wipe and retry until you kill him was an overwhelming experience, thing that came to me as surprise as his job is quite demanding in my opinion, but nevertheless he now has a different perspective of my "semi-hardcore raider" hobby that he used to mock on family reunions.

Some people are willing to try online games when they have small or no prowess on overal use of a PC and that by itself is a limitation, it adds to the stress it can develop at first and ends up driving them away from the game, so support and help from other players (as they often join on their own and find themselves completely alone on this crucial first steps) will surely dictate the future of the person in the gaming world.

I'm totally up for mentoring and assisting players as long as they are a willing audience, i'd say that when i help someone i'm doing the same that some kind friends/players did to me when i joined, explain and be patient so that i could now be part of their community as a capable player, not as someone they want to avoid.
Edited by Fäbre on 2/12/2013 7:50 AM PST
90 Orc Warrior
This story made my whole week. Very touching.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Sometimes I enjoy doing runs with random players that aren't that great, old raids etc. but at the same time, I am an elitist when it comes to harder content, some content is just too hard to try and teach new players in, and that's the kind of content I enjoy doing.
90 Human Warrior
That's pretty awesome.

Don't blow up at people who underperform. Teach them to excel.
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
Utterly amazing story. Thank you for sharing it. Best read I've had on this forum in a long, long time.
90 Goblin Rogue
Oh what a inspiring story, unfortunately all the players myself and others have tried to help really didn't want to listen to what we said and sometimes argued with us. This was back in wrath and beginning of cata mind you and it only got worse as time went on. In the beginning people would actually give us the same effort that we put into them, however it's been increasingly popular to fake the interest of getting better and simply looking for a carry. And after a few "carry me" players, we decided we wouldn't be trying to help people sort there stuff out unless they were a close friend.
85 Troll Hunter
Thank you for sharing this story. I think many of us remember a time when WoW didn't seem to be dominated by elitist jerks bent on ostracizing others to inflate their own sense of self worth.

Sometimes I'm not sure how we got here (yes, I could cite cross-realm instancing, joint 10/25 man lockouts discouraging server pugging, etc).

Wherever we are, it's up to us how we want to be in the game.

For my part, I choose to find the goodness in people, even if that means we don't down a particular boss (e.g., set of pixels).
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/12/2013 07:48 AMPosted by Fäbre
The reason is because the old gamers are forgetting what it was like to discover this awesome online gaming community, and instead of spreading this great feeling of comradeship that you can develop across the world by the internet with their peers in real life, they are trying to make it elite and inaccessible for the people still trying to adopt this online gaming culture in general, or at least they made it so the people without as much experience in this genre of gaming sure feel miserable

this also happened in the gay leatherman community - almost everything you described is the same.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Im glad we were reminded that WoW is more than just a game of pixels. For some this is their entire social structure and friend base. We should remember there are real people behind the pixels, with feelings and their own personal issues IRL, and do our best to be decent and civil with each other. Games are meant to be a destresser from real life events and hardships. MMOs are based around teamwork and helping each other overcome obstacles.

Due to the widespread exposure the issue has gotten and the need to raise continued awareness, perhaps the dev team could introduce a "new player awareness" day or week. Something simple like a small event in the capital cities or an experience buff while participating in a group to encourage individuals to lend a hand to their fellow players.
90 Dwarf Shaman
Meanwhile in South Korea..

...a mysterious earthquake is reported to the north. I wonder if Kim Jong Un was so busy playing WoW he didn't notice. It's well known he has a fancy for western films, culture and thermonuclear explosive devices.
90 Night Elf Druid
Thank you for sharing this great story. :)

Some players turn "elitist" and expect everyone to do perfect rotations and achieve high DPS, I myself was guilty of that for a time. We shouldn't be judged as a person for the numbers we pull or lack. If someone isn't "up to par", help them out instead of insult them. Not everyone knows about outer means of finding information. When I was new, I certainly didn't know.

We all have things going on irl that affect our play so we shouldn't make harsh assumptions. This is a game and community plays a huge part in an MMORPG. We should make it enjoyable for everyone.
90 Human Monk
I have played this game a very long time. While i do not raid, I do PvP a lot. There are just as many rude and unforgiving folks in there as any where else. I hate it when the uber geared tell the undergeared to leave a BG. I am like" you started out fully geared huh?". This game has lost a lot when it comes to kindness. I mean when I started a pally(who became a real life close friend) taught me how to play a hunter, that right you heard me. I was just that bad.

The point is a little kindness goes a very long way. Might even make a friend.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]