Meanwhile in South Korea...

45 Blood Elf Hunter
I think everyone of us has felt that way at some point, if not in WoW, in some other game or place. As we progress and gain knowledge, we sometimes tend to forget where we came from.
35 Human Hunter
. Was I one of the snobs who would calculate and bring only maniacs to make an easy raid...

Mind = blown
Edited by Croom on 4/9/2013 12:32 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
I'll just add a little feel-good something into the mix...

During Christmas one year (I think this was back in vanilla) I was doing the quest where you give the gingerbread cookies to 'santa'. I grabbed some mats, made my cookies and handed in the quest.

I happened to check out the AH and saw the extortionate amount that people were selling the cookies for - quite easy for a new player to get sucked in, as people were saying that the only way to get cookies was on the AH.

I thought 'blow this for a joke' and went farming for more mats.

I went up on top of the old bank and handed out over 200 cookies (5 at a time) to anyone who wanted them. I kept a list of 'naughty and nice' so that I didn't double up.

I got a lot of angry whispers, but I didn't care. I also got some mail the next day from new players thanking me for what I'd done.

Sometimes it just takes a little effort to make things better :)
90 Human Mage
Aight I'm borderline crying because I've played this game for way, way too long (early 05', a point I was in fifth grade). Now to think I'm in college already. There's been a lot of time spent here. A lot of learning and growing up. I've met some amazing friends and had some amazing experiences.

I first played this game when I was 11. Like all 11 year olds playing their first MMO, I was horrendous. Beyond horrendous. But there were awesome people that If i just asked in trade or sent them a PM would be more than willing to help me. Such is not often doled out anymore other than 'just go google it'.

But there's also been many people that just leave a sour taste in my mouth: about my ability as a player, about my interest in the rest of this game, and effectively, the community. The fruits of my efforts. Being benched for a pug was one of the worst experiences of my life, especially as the rest of my then-'guild' berated him in guild chat. Especially when It was made clear the requirements (of which I met all of them). Elitism is a horrible disease, frankly. No good comes of it. You were all at the skill levels of those below you.

At the end of the day this is a game. A game. You got a bunch of pixels that mean diddly squat. All you did was spend time with a bunch of humans. That's all that matters.

I read this today and not to stroke my own ego, I've helped out at least 5 players in the past 2 weeks. I see they're performing awfully in a pug raid or LFR or whatever and I just talk to them. Help them out with their gems and enchants (it's fake money so who cares, and I have far too much of it due to how easy it is to make now), and then watch them burn the boss for three times what they were doing.

Now that's a great feeling. Watching someone jump from 30k dps to 100k. All I had to was talk to them, work with them, and then play with them (a process that often took no more than an hour to an hour and a half and costs about 300g). More than that, I've often made a new friend in doing so. All I had to do was redirect them to icyveins, use their askmrrobot profile, and some Q and A with yours truly. Was it something with no immediate return, and moreover, no reason for me to put such effort forward? To the letter. But the eagle scout badge on my uniform in my closet back home says I'm obligated.

Often it's really just because people don't know. No one wants to perform poorly in this game. Why would anyone want to continually do something poorly and knowingly?

The best way to help your progression is to help everyone else's. Pay it forward is all I ask when I help others. You build the community you play in. You don't complain about how bad it is until it fixes itself. You, as with everyone else, fixes it.

It is truly better to say nothing at all than something rude.

(also seriously, deaf guy, had tears welling up in my eyes, that one was a home hitter)
Edited by Riotplznerf on 4/11/2013 2:47 PM PDT
90 Tauren Warrior
Just an update to the original story: It seems it was all made up (i.e. fake) and the original poster (in the korean server Zuljin) has apologized. Once again I reiterate--it was a conjured up lie fabricated to bring about empathy and populist sentiments on other users. Seems alot of people did end up falling for it...
90 Night Elf Hunter
Regardless of it being fake, all the posts in this thread show a legitimate need to shift the community in a more altruistic direction. I wouldn't have made it past level 10 when I started playing without the help of many friendly players and the guild I am in now. I'm certainly going to go more out of my way to help the new players I run across simply because it is the right thing to do. This is a community, and like all communities, cooperation and a willingness to help those in need are a requirement for growth.
90 Undead Warlock
Just an update to the original story: It seems it was all made up (i.e. fake) and the original poster (in the korean server Zuljin) has apologized. Once again I reiterate--it was a conjured up lie fabricated to bring about empathy and populist sentiments on other users. Seems alot of people did end up falling for it...

Source?

Fake or not. I've encountered players who have had similar stories. I've spoken to players with personal problems back at home and playing WoW as a stress reliever. And I've helped them out in-game, so I can sorta relate to the story. The important thing is what we can learn from this.
70 Blood Elf Mage
“Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.” –Plato

Excellent post, thank you.
90 Human Warlock
02/07/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Greyelder
I personally don't care about Korea. American gaming mentality is just different from Korean.

Too bad. I've traveled through many countries in the world, met people from all over. People are basically the same throughout the world. Really.

I highly doubt you traveled the world and still think this way. I too have traveled to many countries and besides a few, most few foreigners as different. Way they talk to you, way they act AND most currently how they try to scam you.
In conclusion, people DO NOT act the same through out the world.
90 Human Mage

So what if it is fake? Even if the story is fictional, it makes a telling point about the way the WoW community has become. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been real incidents similar to the one described in the story.

Real or not, that story is a valid observation of the current state of community, and I think the entire worldwide WoW community (not just Korea) could learn from it.
90 Human Warlock

That's odd. Link your source , because so far a search to verify this has returned zero results.

Who says it was "made up"? When was this "apology'? Do you know this for a fact or is this third hand hearsay?

Link the source.
Edited by Mirisanelle on 4/15/2013 7:21 AM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
I didn't read all of the comments, and forgive me if I'm resurrecting an old post, but I felt so much from your post that I just absolutely had to reply and thank you for actually taking the time and energy to translate the whole thing and post it for us.
For those who say this is fake, I honestly don't care if it is. It's a long post with sources and an amazing story. Even fictional, it still speaks volumes and took time to create.

Thanks for making my day, and possibly my week sir. /salute
90 Gnome Death Knight
I remember being a !@#$ty %^-*ty warrior tank in the early days of TBC. I was still leveling and the dungeon was old Sunken Temple. I could not hold aggro, and basically just did not "get" that my fun offensive abilities were terrible for tanking. We wiped, a lot, especially for Sunken Temple. I was told by the healer that I sucked bad, should unsub, and they would never recommend me at level 70 ...

Sure enough, at level 70 I was trying to tank a dungeon that character joined as healer. She/he immediately told the party I was a worthless player and they all determined I should be dropped as tank. I basically never did random dungeons through /2 again unless I had a healer with me.

I was never hated across the whole server, just that one person, but this story hits home... Hope the dude either quits WoW for a diff game or just rerolls a diff toon on another server...
90 Goblin Shaman
I started playing way back in Beta (Ret Pally), and kept with it (even though after Release Ret Pally was the LAST thing you played) all the way up to about a month before BC released.
Left for about a year, then came back. PvP server, but great guild. Friendly, helpful, honorable in PvP (which blew my mind).

Then the top-end people hit cap. Raiding started hardcore. And the guild fell apart. All the nice, friendly, helpful people weren't welcome anymore, because being nice, friendly and helpful wasn't what made a top-end raid guild. Being ruthless. Being efficient. Being willing to effectively treat raiding like a second job. To be Number One was All.

I left again after that, staying away until just a few month ago. Pandaria was already done and done. Joined a RP server, of all things. At my age, and with early onset arthritis, PvP is a young man's game. Just don't have the twitch reflexes for it anymore.

I was blown away at the change in the community. As in there isn't one, at least nothing visible. Trade chat is a visit to the depths of 4Chan, with people that pay their monthly just to troll other people in chat. LFD is an experience in elitism, with what I've come to call BoA-Holes that genuinely do not care about the people they get put with. Let me clarify something here; I have grouped with many many fine players in BoA gear, but the vast majority of the time if someone is going to act like a elitist snob, or have no ability playing what is clearly their alt because to quote one, "so what dung dont matter lol get 90 so u can ply the real game"... it is someone sporting full BoA gear.

People whose sole communication with the group is to spam Recount totals after every fight so everyone knows they are doing all the DPS, even if they are heals. People who won't heal anyone but the tank, because if the tank is alive they are still advancing. People who try to kick hunters for no reason other than 'huntards suk lol". People who aren't tanking, the tank we have is doing fine, but keep griping that the tank won't 'grab it all' like their main who is a prot warrior could.

Guilds seems to have circled the wagons, staying quiet and out of sight if they aren't one of the premier raiders, and avoiding the main areas like Stormwind. Why? Because of the constant ridicule heaped upon them by the leet d00d guilds. This isn't just on my admittedly RP server. I rolled up noobs on other servers just to see if my server was an anomaly. If anything, the other servers appear worse.

When I returned I was greeted by non-stop guild invite spam. On a whim I started joining a few of them, just to see what they were all about. Apparently nothing. Just grabbing any warm body they can find to drive up guild XP. No chat, no community. I think the one that floored me the most was a guild that was already level 25, had roughly 150 members, had (at one time) 42 people online and playing... and no-one would speak in guild. No replies to anything. The only guild communication seen was the messages of 'X player is online', 'x player is offline', and the rotating door of people joining and leaving the guild. I honestly have no idea what guilds are even for now, other than perhaps just another edge, another tool to make the numbers on your character sheet better and more efficient.

I'm just amazed at how intolerant and spiteful and petty and hateful people seem to be now. Maybe it's the anonymity that allows the Inner Bully to flourish. Maybe it the culture of "We're the Best. You're the Rest."

I honestly don't know.

But I think it says something, when I read a story like the one that started this thread, and think that 9 years ago I would have been somewhat surprised, and that now I'm not surprised in the least.
Edited by Gizban on 7/11/2013 7:27 AM PDT
90 Human Hunter
why did you bump this thread with a post nobody is going to read?
90 Goblin Shaman
Because, even if no-one reads it, I felt like I wanted to say it.

Why did you bump the thread?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I heard somewhere that this warrior became an outcast again. This incident only helped him for a short time.
90 Draenei Shaman
Because, even if no-one reads it, I felt like I wanted to say it.

Why did you bump the thread?

I read it, enjoyed it, and agree with it.
90 Night Elf Druid
why did you bump this thread with a post nobody is going to read?

Why did you respond to his bump?

I don't know you at all, but the negativity in your post tells me that you are the type of player Gizban refers to in his post

I'm just amazed at how intolerant and spiteful and petty and hateful people seem to be now
90 Pandaren Shaman
@Gizban: Just a couple things..

1) You can't really judge a server by it's Trade chat. Any server's trade chat has trolls.
2) You definitely can't judge a server based on your experiences in LFD, which includes off-realm folks.
3) If a guild is spamming invites at every new alt, chances are not many members have anything in common, and won't talk because of that (and because they don't know anyone at all, ofc). Again, these types of guilds exist everywhere, best to avoid them.

Find a guild you actually want to join, and your experience will be a lot different.
I understand your point was likely to show how bad the community can be at times, but the way you went about it seemed to ignore certain things, sorry.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]