How are you fire mages doing in 5.1?

90 Night Elf Druid
Hey there, just a friend druid here. I don't have any mages in my group but am wondering how you all are faring in 5.1? I know fire took a big hit this patch and was wondering if all of you mages have switch over to arcane. Are there still any fire mages left?

Another thing.. how are you guys looking for 5.2? I keep hearing fire might over take arcane finally and this and that.. Sucks all the nerfs blizzard has given you guys =/
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Doing fine with Fire, but maybe it's a gear thing. Combusts on my alt Mage are weaksauce. Probably would be fine in normal mode gear or higher.

Looking forward to Fire in 5.2 personally. We will be the only spec with Scorch, and it's for free. We get Blazing Speed or Ice Floes on top of that, and Invocation will have a longer duration/faster cast. Plus Flameglow as a nice passive damage reduction.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The general consensus seems to be if you're not rocking close to iLvl490, you're not going to have nearly enough crit to compete with Arcane if you use Fire. IIRC Critical Mass was nerfed from 1.5x crit on FB, FFB, Pyro, and Scorch down to 1.25x. Then they bumped it up to 1.3x once TOO many people switched to Arcane.

While things are looking good, we all know what happens once too many people switch to Fire... yep, nerfbat. So I'm not all that encouraged.
Edited by Beaumagnus on 2/8/2013 5:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ego
And yet ALOT of people are now switching to Warlock cause Affliction seems better and they have a new green fire quest, and Blizzard won't do anything to that.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I'm not a serious raider, I'm still gearing up to be a LFR Commando, but at this point ... Fire 4 life.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
02/08/2013 06:23 AMPosted by Roxxùs
And yet ALOT of people are now switching to Warlock cause Affliction seems better and they have a new green fire quest, and Blizzard won't do anything to that.

Why are these mentioned at the same time? Affliction has absolutely zero spells affected by the green fire addition.

Also: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Even at 490 iLevel fire can't compete with arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The general consensus seems to be if you're not rocking close to iLvl490, you're not going to have nearly enough crit to compete with Arcane if you use Fire. IIRC Critical Mass was nerfed from 1.5x crit on FB, FFB, Pyro, and Scorch down to 1.25x. Then they bumped it up to 1.3x once TOO many people switched to Arcane.

While things are looking good, we all know what happens once too many people switch to Fire... yep, nerfbat. So I'm not all that encouraged.

!@#$ that sucks =/. I'm getting ready to switch mains for 5.2 and ToT from my resto to my mage and I have to gear up and everything but I was hoping fire wasn't as far as it is behind because it's my favorite spec of the three. I was hoping for at least a little good news but I guess not
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
You'll probably be fine if you gear up a mage to be fire in 5.2. I image a combination of normal mode and LFR gear from 5.2 raids will get you relatively close to the level of crit you need. It will certainly get you to a point where you can be competitive with other dps, even if it isn't as good as arcane.

Please also remember: Arcane is going to be completely revamped, and for all we know, the damage arcane will put out might be crap. Nobody is going to know for sure until a bit after the patch is released.
Edited by Taymage on 2/8/2013 9:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/08/2013 06:47 AMPosted by Mumrit
Even at 490 iLevel fire can't compete with arcane.
If you can play Arcane to max efficiency. Most people that like Fire but switched to Arcane (and hate it) don't play Arcane as efficiently.

Also, I was looking at Heart of Fear 10-man (if you're doing heroics, do you really need advice?) at World of Logs, and of the 3 fights that have a mage ranked in the top 10, two have a Fire mage ranked at #3 and less than 1% below the top-ranked Arcane mage, and one fight has Fire mages taking all 10 ranks of the top 10.

But all in all, I agree. Fire is not competing for single target damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
At least two of the fights in HoF are very, very heavy cleave fights. I also wouldn't be surprised if those parses were pre-nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You'll probably be fine if you gear up a mage to be fire in 5.2. I image a combination of normal mode and LFR gear from 5.2 raids will get you relatively close to the level of crit you need. It will certainly get you to a point where you can be competitive with other dps, even if it isn't as good as arcane.

Please also remember: Arcane is going to be completely revamped, and for all we know, the damage arcane will put out might be crap. Nobody is going to know for sure until a bit after the patch is released.

Yea that's what I'm hoping for. I figure if I could get some LFR pieces and go into ToT around 485+ I should be able to pull enough dps to sufficient for ToT. Fire is by far the best spec imo and it would suck having to go arcane. I hope there are a bunch of cleave fights in 5.2 so I won't have a reason to dip into the arcane playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I feel like im doing quite well. I've parsed as fire on a few fights and came close on others. Raid bots tells me that im in between 80th and 95th percentile when i play things right and don't get too rng'd via boss mechanics or otherwise.

Things have drastically gotten better since i went back to fire at 486 ilvl. At first i was barely doing anything worthwhile was just kinda there. After getting past 490 ive noticed that my dps is pretty solid and i can usually be in the running for the top dps spot. I still have my strings where i can't crit or combustions that are used on pitiful ignites. However, ive also been graced with ignites that push 100-200k (the latter on elegon when combustion was on cd sadly).

Fire scales very well, and due to fixed mana pools arcane doesn't scale as much as it used to. All in all, the top spec will most likely stay arcane next patch with fire being better than it is right now. Fire most likely wont be a competitive world first spec till the third tier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]