Mentoring Guilds, I think they need to return

90 Gnome Warlock
As the title states, and after reading the thread I am going to link below... I think there should be a return of the Guild Mentoring Program, that Blizzard started... Only this time, make it permanent.

Thread:
us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7864486403?page=1

The thread I linked is a translation of a thread from the other side of the pond. It tells us of an outcast gamer, who struggled along through raids and ended up shunned by the community at large, until a GM and Raid Leader too the time to actually talk to this notoriously bad player. He found that the player had taken the steps to read websites and such to get better but had issues ubderstanding what he was reading. and no one would bother taking the time to just help him... After talking to the guy, he walked him through the steps of getting better from gear optimization all the way to rotation... He didn't have to.l do this but did.

I feel this poor guy, and people like him that struggle along without a single person willing to take then aside and talk through what they are, and what they aren't doing right need this program to return. It also encourages Vets to share their knowlege with others, and it might go a long way to mend the community we claim to want a return of, but blame outside sources for destroying, when in the end the blame falls on our individual shoulders.

That, and there really is no reason for this Program not to return, but I challenge anyone to claim it shouldnt.

Discuss?

Edit:
A link to WoWwiki's page on the program.
www.wowwiki.com/Guild_Mentoring_Program?useskin=oasis&cb=7577

Edit2:
I am now seeking assistance with finding out who to contact via Twitter and other Social Media to push this agenda.

I also challenge you, upstanding citizens of Azeroth to take up this crusade... Go to your home server forums, and reach out to new players, offer spots in your guild to those in need of help. Extend the hand of friendship and show that our community still exists, and we can overcome any bad reputation we as a whole have...

It is up to us, the players to keep Azeroth alive just as much as Blizzard... Without us encouraging growth, bringing in people, encouraging new players... How can we expect the population to grow?
Edited by Grdebby on 2/8/2013 10:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Well, it's not something Blizzard can really implement. It's the choice a person(s) make if they want to concentrate solely on helping people develop their characters and their skills. With so many people forming guilds for various reasons, I'm actually surprised there haven't been many set towards player development.

A small guild would best suit this purpose and it would require patient players willing to spend time to teach other players how to raid/pvp, what have you. I'm sure they're out there. They simply don't advertise.

Best thing to do is ask in trade (or server forum) which guilds are taking new players to teach them how to play. Just watch out for trolls, as usual.

:)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I agree that something of this nature should be a permanent thing in game. I will even offer that help on Nordrassil realm with my alt guild. I will even go so far as to roll an alt on the realm they choose. If needed they can message me on this alt.
Edited by Brakun on 2/8/2013 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
02/08/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Brakun
I agree that something of this nature should be a permanent thing in game. I will even offer that help on Nordrassil realm with my alt guild. I will even go so far as to roll an alt on the realm they choose.

I wouldove to give why little knowledge of the game I have to others, and attempt to do so when I can. Its fairly fulfilling helping someone, and seeing them flourish... The problem is people are less willing to ask, because the vocal loudmouths scare them off.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I agree i do feel thsi should be permanent. The thing is that the people who really want to help are doing this already.... others will want incentive for doing it. But if it does help as a whole why not offer something for it.

And anyone who ever needs help with anything i know our guild (even though still small and growing) and a few other guilds who will accept and help anyone looking for it.
Edited by Darthapollo on 2/8/2013 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Well, it's not something Blizzard can really implement. It's the choice a person(s) make if they want to concentrate solely on helping people develop their characters and their skills. With so many people forming guilds for various reasons, I'm actually surprised there haven't been many set towards player development.

A small guild would best suit this purpose and it would require patient players willing to spend time to teach other players how to raid/pvp, what have you. I'm sure they're out there. They simply don't advertise.

Best thing to do is ask in trade (or server forum) which guilds are taking new players to teach them how to play. Just watch out for trolls, as usual.

:)

Blizzard had a program for it, I think it ended last month or so. They touted it as a big success, but never said if they planned to do it again in the future. I don't see why not, as many GMs that participated expressed and interest in keeping the program going.

I think people often misjudge the trolls in trade chat, I've found most of them end up breaking into a meaningful discussion when guided.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Darthapollo
I agree i do feel thsi should be permanent. The thing is that the people who really want to help are doing this already.... others will want incentive for doing it. But if it does help as a whole why not offer something for it.

You can't force people to make mentoring guilds. It's not Blizzard's job to do so. As I stated earlier, it depends on someone or a group to decide to create a guild for the purpose of mentoring new players or players trying to learn a new class.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

And anyone who ever needs help with anything i know our guild (even though still small and growing) and a few other guilds who will accept and help anyone looking for it.

I think the only tangible reward the mentoring rogram had was a MVP title on the forums, but I could be wrong. But for the most part I do agree with you, the other issue is intimidation, many new players that I find, and talk to are afraid of asking for help. A "WoW Mentor Guild" title could make it less so if seen around cities.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Posted by Darthapollo

You can't force people to make mentoring guilds. It's not Blizzard's job to do so. As I stated earlier, it depends on someone or a group to decide to create a guild for the purpose of mentoring new players or players trying to learn a new class.

Youre absolutley right it is not thier job to do so at all. Why dont we start the programs ourself put a thread out there for people to go to where they will be welcomed... post which server youre on and guild name?
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I had an overall positive impression of the Guild Mentor program... and would see many of them posting in threads in a positive and helpful manner.

The program ran its course and I believe Blizzard is reviewing all the data from that. However I consider the program a success and hope they continue with it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Posted by Darthapollo

Youre absolutley right it is not thier job to do so at all. Why dont we start the programs ourself put a thread out there for people to go to where they will be welcomed... post which server youre on and guild name?

I just edited my OP with a link to the details of the old Mentoring Program. Might add more incentive. I also really like your idea. When I get a chance, I will talk to my GM about offering up our services on our Home Server forums, I know a few people in my guild would jump at yhe chance.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I had an overall positive impression of the Guild Mentor program... and would see many of them posting in threads in a positive and helpful manner.

The program ran its course and I believe Blizzard is reviewing all the data from that. However I consider the program a success and hope they continue with it.

I am hoping this encourages then to consider reviving it in the neat future. I'd love to take this to Twitter as well, but I have no idea who I can start with... So starting here was the best first step I could think of, as well as when I get off worm submitting a suggestion in-game that links back here.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight

I just edited my OP with a link to the details of the old Mentoring Program. Might add more incentive. I also really like your idea. When I get a chance, I will talk to my GM about offering up our services on our Home Server forums, I know a few people in my guild would jump at yhe chance.

I agree i will post on our server as well for anyone who is looking for any help.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
I will add I agree the idea of Mentoring Guilds should be brought back and encouraged. It should also include teaching good manners in gaming. Considering what CRZ and LFR is producing in terms of rude players shouldn't really surprise the need to teach new players proper behavior in a MMORPG.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

I agree i will post on our server as well for anyone who is looking for any help.

I figure, what the hell why not?
The worst we can do is set a positive example for others.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
im linking this thread on Exodar's page...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight

It wont hurt anything thats the best part about it :D
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
02/08/2013 10:15 AMPosted by Xerun
I will add I agree the idea of Mentoring Guilds should be brought back and encouraged. It should also include teaching good manners in gaming. Considering what CRZ and LFR is producing in terms of rude players shouldn't really surprise the need to teach new players proper behavior in a MMORPG.

I actually do not think CRZ and LFR are at fault at all for this, it is a problem that has only become more obvious because of it. We are seeing it more, and more now due to the fact we are exposed to more of the total population, than just our own.

Its a case of little fish going from a little pond to a big pond. The familiar fish seem less obnoxious than the new fish because we got used to them.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

It wont hurt anything thats the best part about it :D

Death Knights and Warlocks, making Azeroth a better place!
But seriously, I've been mulling the idea over for a while now, and that thread was the one that pushed me over the edge
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]