Mentoring Guilds, I think they need to return

100 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Grdebby
I actually do not think CRZ and LFR are at fault at all for this, it is a problem that has only become more obvious because of it. We are seeing it more, and more now due to the fact we are exposed to more of the total population, than just our own.

Allow me to correct myself. :)

It's due to CRZ and LFR players from other realms who would otherwise be more hesitant to being rude on their own realms would not feel so inhibited in a position where the odds of them seeing the players they are currently with ever again is nearly zero.

I'm seeing your point and adding to it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight

It wont hurt anything thats the best part about it :D

Death Knights and Warlocks, making Azeroth a better place!
But seriously, I've been mulling the idea over for a while now, and that thread was the one that pushed me over the edge

I have been thinking about this for awhile myself.... i am in no way a master of all things warcraft there is a ton myself i need to learn but i can still help people learn whati know and vice versa... i linked this on Exodars page as well.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7863196473#1
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
02/08/2013 10:22 AMPosted by Xerun
I actually do not think CRZ and LFR are at fault at all for this, it is a problem that has only become more obvious because of it. We are seeing it more, and more now due to the fact we are exposed to more of the total population, than just our own.

Allow me to correct myself. :)

It's due to CRZ and LFR players from other realms who would otherwise be more hesitant to being rude on their own realms would not feel so inhibited in a position where the odds of them seeing the players they are currently with ever again is nearly zero.

I'm seeing your point and adding to it.

This, I fully agree with you on. I just like contesting the blanket statements, and seeing if I can change people's outlooks.

Death Knights and Warlocks, making Azeroth a better place!
But seriously, I've been mulling the idea over for a while now, and that thread was the one that pushed me over the edge

I have been thinking about this for awhile myself.... i am in no way a master of all things warcraft there is a ton myself i need to learn but i can still help people learn whati know and vice versa... i linked this on Exodars page as well.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7863196473#1

I also just added more to the first post challenging others to post in their home forums and join us.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Grdebby
I also just added more to the first post challenging others to post in their home forums and join us.

If everyone does just a little bit and we pay it foward it will make a huge difference. Thats allw e can hope for.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
02/08/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Darthapollo

If everyone does just a little bit and we pay it foward it will make a huge difference. Thats allw e can hope for.

That's how I am looking at it. Even if nothing comes out of this, at least I know there was on person outside of myself who took the initiative.

When I get home, I'm going to type up a proper thread on Zul'jin's forums. This way I don't have to worry about my phone hiccuping.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Grdebby

That's how I am looking at it. Even if nothing comes out of this, at least I know there was on person outside of myself who took the initiative.

When I get home, I'm going to type up a proper thread on Zul'jin's forums. This way I don't have to worry about my phone hiccuping.

I agree it is nice finding other people thinking about well.... others. Its always tough doing this anymore because of these issues.. hopefully we can help make it a bigger precentage of people who help then people who will just pass them by.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Death Knight
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981608215 :)
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Warlock
I would LOVE for the mentoring guilds to return. I missed out on them by a few weeks. I sure would have liked to been in one of those.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock

I agree it is nice finding other people thinking about well.... others. Its always tough doing this anymore because of these issues.. hopefully we can help make it a bigger precentage of people who help then people who will just pass them by.

Agreed, this only adds to the community, something we need desperately.

02/08/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Alvraen

Embarassingly enough, I forgot about the New Players Forums when linking to things. But the thread felt more at home here, where people constantly fight over the lack of community and do not offer ways to mend it.

02/08/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Lunataria
I would LOVE for the mentoring guilds to return. I missed out on them by a few weeks. I sure would have liked to been in one of those.

If you ever end out the way of one of us, that have posted expressing interest, feel free to shoot a message out. I don't think anyone of us would mind.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Alvraen

02/08/2013 11:10 AMPosted by Grdebby
If you ever end out the way of one of us, that have posted expressing interest, feel free to shoot a message out. I don't think anyone of us would mind.

Both of these are amazing and anyone can message me at anytime. post on here ill keep track of this one or let me know and i can give other websites im a member of.
Edited by Darthapollo on 2/8/2013 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
02/08/2013 11:15 AMPosted by Darthapollo

Both of these are amazing and anyone can message me at anytime. post on here ill keep track of this one or let me know and i can give other websites im a member of.

I don't think anyone would feel opposed to that.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Lets see if I can drum up some more attention.
Reply Quote
99 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you all, very much on behalf of appreciative newbs everywhere. I had, actually, commented a few days ago on the forums about not going into random dungeons because I was afraid of screwing up for everyone else. A very nice person gave me their battletag and contacted me in game. We went over my rotations and went through a few dungeons and I got some really good advice. It made the concept of running a dungeon with people I don't know a lot less scary. Thank you, Bri.

Any newbs out there. . . When someone gives you polite and constructive advice. . . Shut up and listen. :D
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
The game needs something like this, and it shouldn't be Blizzard's job to implement it (mostly because trying to program a social mechanism is silly).

Anywho, I'm on Thrall! Our guild is currently in the process of growing and we would love to see some of the new faces.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811652469
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
It was a terrible idea. Shu'halo's Alliance mentoring guild was MIA the entire time. When our server became a "new players" server, the mentoring guild,didn't really do anything... and new players still asked questions in trade chat and begged for gold.

Making the mentoring of new players the responsibility of a sole guild on a server's faction is an impossible task... especially if that guild fails to actually carry out its responsibilities.

Not all players want to participate in a mentoring guild. Another thing to consider is what realm you are on. Some are simply better than others when it comes to taking newbies under wing and teaching them how to play the game with others.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I've run several leveling/mentoring guilds on various servers, and invariably the fall to one demon: raiding. When you get players up to a significant level, they want to raid, and that's fine, but they also want to stop mentoring, which isn't fine. So they leave, join a hardcore raiding guild, and the mentoring guild loses people as others go to those guilds to be with the people they've come to enjoy playing with. Eventually it all just falls apart and the guild dies.

I'm not against raiding. I'm not against it being the reason you play. Good for you. I'm against people taking positions of authority in a guild and then leaving with half the guild when they start raiding. Particularly when you're part of a guild that is supposed to be focused on teaching newbies how to play effectively. The newbies should be the one's leaving eventually.

Bleh.

There just aren't enough people on most servers who care enough about their fellow players to take them under their wing and teach them how to play a class or role. I had to learn tanking and healing on my own. I've done a very passable job of it. Ok, at least people don't die in my groups.

I'm really starting to hate this game's community. They make me regret playing... caring... liking...
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Thank you all, very much on behalf of appreciative newbs everywhere. I had, actually, commented a few days ago on the forums about not going into random dungeons because I was afraid of screwing up for everyone else. A very nice person gave me their battletag and contacted me in game. We went over my rotations and went through a few dungeons and I got some really good advice. It made the concept of running a dungeon with people I don't know a lot less scary. Thank you, Bri.

Any newbs out there. . . When someone gives you polite and constructive advice. . . Shut up and listen. :D

Glad to hear you got some good advice. Dungeons are more daunting when you start for sure, we seasoned players tend to forget that while things die fast, mechanics can still creep up on everyone.

As for shutting up and listening, add a bit of "dont be afraid to ask" also, it is much better to ask questions than nod and keep silent.

It was a terrible idea. Shu'halo's Alliance mentoring guild was MIA the entire time. When our server became a "new players" server, the mentoring guild,didn't really do anything... and new players still asked questions in trade chat and begged for gold.

Making the mentoring of new players the responsibility of a sole guild on a server's faction is an impossible task... especially if that guild fails to actually carry out its responsibilities.

One would expect if the program returned permanently, it would be indeed more than just one guild doing it. As well as opened up to every server.

As for new players begging? You can always tell then how to quickly make some coin, especially now since trainers are obsolete leveling up is less costly.

The game needs something like this, and it shouldn't be Blizzard's job to implement it (mostly because trying to program a social mechanism is silly).

Anywho, I'm on Thrall! Our guild is currently in the process of growing and we would love to see some of the new faces.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811652469

Well, Blizzard did it already, so bringing it back shouldn't be theoretically too hard. But I do agree, its why I also put the challenge out. I am glad you are joining in too!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
I've run several leveling/mentoring guilds on various servers, and invariably the fall to one demon: raiding. When you get players up to a significant level, they want to raid, and that's fine, but they also want to stop mentoring, which isn't fine. So they leave, join a hardcore raiding guild, and the mentoring guild loses people as others go to those guilds to be with the people they've come to enjoy playing with. Eventually it all just falls apart and the guild dies.

I'm not against raiding. I'm not against it being the reason you play. Good for you. I'm against people taking positions of authority in a guild and then leaving with half the guild when they start raiding. Particularly when you're part of a guild that is supposed to be focused on teaching newbies how to play effectively. The newbies should be the one's leaving eventually.

Bleh.

There just aren't enough people on most servers who care enough about their fellow players to take them under their wing and teach them how to play a class or role. I had to learn tanking and healing on my own. I've done a very passable job of it. Ok, at least people don't die in my groups.

I'm really starting to hate this game's community. They make me regret playing... caring... liking...

This is why I am encouraging more guilds to take in new players, even non-mentoring guilds. If we can encourage people to build ties with eachothee, and their community, that will be a great thing.

But I do see your issue with people poaching higher tenure members, or said members doing it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]