Warlock/Demon Hunter faction next expansion.

90 Night Elf Mage
Just like we had the Paladin/ Death knight faction in the WOTLK.

What better to stop the legion then demon master themselves!!!!

Also with illidan coming back perfect time to add this "Hero" class.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Illidan's coming back?

Where did you hear this?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
^ I thought this was well known knowledge like Garrosh is the last boss in Mop...
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
02/07/2013 10:40 PMPosted by Alarielle
^ I thought this was well known knowledge like Garrosh is the last boss in Mop...

No. The devs "want" to bring him back, it's not confirmed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
It isn't really a big deal they brought back a lot of people... Onyixa, Sylvanas(died twice already), Kel'thuzad, Godfry, Hogger, Kael'thalas and so forth.

Also
"It is likely we will bring Illidan back, not so much for Kael'thas, he already had his come back. Arthas's body is somewhere but we don't really know where.
"
-Metzen
Edited by Alarielle on 2/7/2013 10:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
02/07/2013 10:42 PMPosted by Alarielle
It isn't really a big deal they brought back a lot of people... Onyixa, Sylvanas(died twice already), Kel'thuzad, Godfry, Hogger, Kael'thalas and so forth.

Oh god...

Onyxia was brought back badly. No lore to it, just the anniversary. I was ok with it though.
Sylvanas never was excluded from lore, she was in it even though she was dead.
Kel'thuzad was revived somewhere in BC by the Lich King.
Godfrey was risen by Sylvanas.
Hogger isnt a lore character.
Kael'thas was revived by a demon after we roflpwned him.

Illidan..... well, first of all it just doesn't make sense how he would be revived. All of his followers were essentially shattered by going into SSC and TK and BT and killing them. The Illidari are gone. And i'm pretty sure the Burning Legion won't be doing anything after what Illidan's done. And why would Illidan offer to help in the first place? He wouldn't have anyone to back him up and i'm pretty sure Malfurion would kill him on sight. Besides, demon hunters take hundreds of years of training. You cant just go over to Illidans house and say "Yo i wanna be a demon hunter" and get trained in 2 seconds flat.

To the metzen quote; where did you find that? If they're bringing back Illidan then I'm done with this lore...
Edited by Greengiantt on 2/7/2013 10:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Have you not played the Demon hunter quest in blasted lands(The demon hunters body was seperated after they were combinded and some dark magic he came back, this can easily be used for illidian)? Also the quote is from 2012 blizzcon just google it.
Edited by Alarielle on 2/7/2013 11:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Maiev probably has Illidan's body burned, or maybe she threw it off Outland. Thats what I'd do, or maybe she took his head or some other trophy. And who would combine Illidan's body? I don't see it happening, but Metzen will figure it out.
"Thrall brought him back cause he is the new titan" or something
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
i always thought that the CoT instance was "bringing him back". we saw him again, he was awesome, kind of a jerk, players interacted with him directly, and he saved the day while his brother judged him after his brother didnt save the world.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/07/2013 11:19 PMPosted by Juibloc
i always thought that the CoT instance was "bringing him back". we saw him again, he was awesome, kind of a jerk, players interacted with him directly, and he saved the day while his brother judged him after his brother didnt save the world.

I thought this as well.
Reply Quote

That instance always brought a smile to my face because of Illidan. Had he not learned the demonic magic of the Burning Legion, would Azeroth still be here today?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
02/07/2013 11:22 PMPosted by Pete

That instance always brought a smile to my face because of Illidan. Had he not learned the demonic magic of the Burning Legion, would Azeroth still be here today?

no, azeroth would have died, the Nelf chick would have died, mal would still be too late, and the pitlord would not be beaten. plus even more demons would be around to fight off the living... and the big bads would have portaled through to azeroth.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid

If I recall, it was said he would be back while CoT was just entering PTR.

I mean, we knew Illidan would already be back in WotA raid, and we knew that is wotlk, so I really don't think it is
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I've gone back and forth on whether I think Demon Hunters are a viable class, and right now I would say no. On one hand they would fit in perfectly in a Burning Legion expansion and are one of the most requested classes. But on the other hand Warlocks have been absorbing their most iconic abilities to a greater and greater degree. About the only thing Demon Hunters still have that Warlocks don't is the melee component of the class.

And overall, it might just be best to keep the "fighting fire with fire" role in a Burning Legion expansion, strictly in the hands of Warlocks. If Demon Hunters are present, then they might inadvertently push Warlocks to the sidelines in the one expansion the class could really shine. After all no one says how awesome of an expansion WotLK was for Priests, despite the reality that Priests were thematically opposed to the undead just as much as Paladins were.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I've gone back and forth on whether I think Demon Hunters are a viable class, and right now I would say no.

I've always been of the opinion that demon hunters would never be playable, and MoP has more or less cemented that opinion.

Could they be playable? That's a different question, and the answer is yes, with enough work.

But as far as I can see, the amount of work Blizzard would have to put in to making demon hunters a serious class combined with the potential pitfalls just outweighs the possible reward. Demon hunters are victims of two things - niche saturation and overstylization.

For the first - take a warlock. Take a rogue. Blend until smooth. That's sort of what a demon hunter is - but if you make them too much like rogues or too much like warlocks, they'll feel too derivative. Moreover, demon hunters are dual-wielding melee fighters - just like rogues, fury warriors, frost dks, monks, and enhancement shaman. Essentially, they've been crowded out of their niche.

This is especially true with the modern warlock - go demo, take grimoire of sacrifice, pick up the glyph of demon hunting. There. Now you have a supercharged demonic form (and a half-and-half form) that's a pseudo-melee fighter, hopping around blasting people with shadow and fel. You are effectively doing everything a demon hunter would do. And you can't just yank this away for the sake of a new class - warlock players would howl and rightly so.

What about their abilities? Demon hunters have long since had their WC3 reportoire (mana burn, immolate, evasion, metamorph) given out, and unlike death knights that had a slew of unused necromantic themes to choose from, a lot of stuff that demon hunters might have once used has been passed off to warlocks, or maybe rogues. Coming up with a new class necessitates a new roster of abilities, but where do demon hunters go that doesn't leave them feeling like a Frankensteinian rehash of other classes?

The second problem is overstylization. Think of every demon hunter in the game. What to they look like? Kilt, double warglaives, bare chest (except for that one chick...figures) and blindfold. So, how do you make this work for gearing? Does every helm incorporate a blindfold and every chestpiece vanish? That's gonna get old, fast, and unless you limit the helms demon hunters wear, that's a lot of work remaking old helms. Do demon hunters use maces? Axes?

The thing about death knights and monks is that "evil knight wearing evil armor" and "kung fu master" are fairly broad generalizations that encompass a lot of potential appearances. Demon hunters don't - they're instantly recognizable thanks to their style, but if you start taking that away for the sake of personalization or gearing, you run the serious risk of taking away the style that makes people like them.

Also what armor would they wear? Another leather class? Hnnngh. We already have 3. Cloth? Agility cloth - is Blizz really going to throw in another armor type in a game that already has 9? (Str/stam/int plate, agi/int leather, agi/int mail, int/spr cloth, and I'm simplifying here - remember how Blizzard eventually threw their hands up and made spirit->hit for caster druids, shaman and priests so that they could trim down bloated loot tables.)

Again, let me say- demon hunters could be a playable class, if Blizzard is willing to put in the huge amounts of work, tackle serious thematic questions, and dare the potential pitfalls in making them. But I don't think Blizzard wants to take the chance of ruining the demon hunters' appeal or running the risk of demoralising players of current classes when they see demon hunters getting awesome stuff that they think should have gone to their classes. It's an ugly potential tangle, and I think Blizzard is smart enough to avoid it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I think that if Demon Hunters were not to be made playable, their style and abilities should be further incorporated into the Warlock class. Dark Apotheosis is great, expand on that and make it their fourth spec. Give it more close range and perhaps even tanking capability. Also make the Blindfold model and glaive models accessible to Warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
The only reason I feel like blizzard won't give warlocks a tank spec is because they will give that to demon hunters, but honestly Warlocks were needed to tank bosses in vanilla...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yea. I feel it has to be an either or deal at this point.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Only reasons I am against Ethereals is that they can't really fit in gear, you are true about illidian but they bring back people we kill all the time and he wasn't exactly and end game boss.

I do feel like the next class should wear mail, and use a ranged weapons to give hunters and shaman some competition for their gear.

I feel like it should be a class that can do the specs like a shaman but instead of "elemental" being a melee dps, they would use a ranged weapon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]