battle pets help in regular fights?

70 Human Rogue
I read somewhere that only warlocks and hunters could have pets that could actually attack normal monsters but I was wondering could a class like mine, the rogue, tame pets and or recruit companions by which could help me in regular fights with regular monsters?

I don't get the whole point of having the ability to summon your battle pets when they don't do anything. Is it strictly for vanity reasons or can you do stuff with your summoned pets?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/08/2013 11:52 AMPosted by Ladrilan
I read somewhere that only warlocks and hunters could have pets that could actually attack normal monsters but I was wondering could a class like mine, the rogue, tame pets and or recruit companions by which could help me in regular fights with regular monsters?

No. Battle pets are different from combat pets that some classes have. Hunters tame beasts to fight in combat with them.

I don't get the whole point of having the ability to summon your battle pets when they don't do anything. Is it strictly for vanity reasons or can you do stuff with your summoned pets?

Pure vanity. After all, before the battle pet system was introduced they were called "vanity" or "non-combat" pets for a reason :P
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Nope, the pets your thinking of, the little ones, are vanity pets. They're just there for show and pet battles.

Pets like warlocks and hunters have (and mages) are the type that can actually fight in combat. Rogues cannot use any kind of those pets. Only hunters and warlocks, and frost mages. Shamans can also summon ghost wolves and elementals but they're only out for a short time and have a long cooldown.

There are some trinkets that summon pets/companions to help fight. But those are normall lackluster trinkets that you will have for a level or two while leveling and won't ever use again. Rarely do any max level characters have/use those kinds of trinkets. And again, those trinkets only summon the pet/companion for a minute or so before they go away.
Edited by Aleaina on 2/8/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
My first "main" was a Rogue. On my first visit to Orgrimmar almost seven years ago, I saw a troll walking along the road to the rear entrance, with some snakes following him. Talked to him ... WOW ... dude was selling snakes for 50s a piece! Looked in my bags. Hmm ... I only have a couple silver and some copper.

Went out questing. Quested some more. Saved up my pennies. Finally had 50s.

Bought a Brown Snake. I thought it was going to be so cool. I mean, I'm a rogue, I use poisons, so what's a better pet than a snake to help me poison my enemies?

Went out the front gate and targeted a boar. Spent the next half hour trying to figure out how to make my snake bite the boar.
Reply Quote
77 Orc Hunter
The engineering combat pets are trinkets. There's mechanical dragonlings available at several levels and the gnomish engineering specialty can make Gnomish Battle Chickens.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
02/08/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Aleaina
But those are normall lackluster trinkets that you will have for a level or two while leveling and won't ever use again.

I still use the Battle Chicken sometimes on boss fights, if the group is mostly melee players, simply for the +5% attack speed if it happens to squawk. Right now Ghost Iron Dragonling is a nice option for the +600 to three secondary stats, definitely more useful while gearing up than the summoned dragonling, since Engineering isn't required to equip it.
Reply Quote
70 Human Rogue
My first "main" was a Rogue. On my first visit to Orgrimmar almost seven years ago, I saw a troll walking along the road to the rear entrance, with some snakes following him. Talked to him ... WOW ... dude was selling snakes for 50s a piece! Looked in my bags. Hmm ... I only have a couple silver and some copper.

Bought a Brown Snake. I thought it was going to be so cool. I mean, I'm a rogue, I use poisons, so what's a better pet than a snake to help me poison my enemies?

Went out the front gate and targeted a boar. Spent the next half hour trying to figure out how to make my snake bite the boar.

I tried something similar to that but it was a bear.....
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
02/08/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Kerranggaroo
Spent the next half hour trying to figure out how to make my snake bite the boar.

>THROW SNAKE
You do not have one.
>PICK UP SNAKE
You are holding a SNAKE.
>EQUIP SNAKE
The SNAKE is equipped.
>THROW SNAKE
The SNAKE lands on the ground.

#@%!

>PICK UP SNAKE
You are holding a SNAKE.
>EQUIP SNAKE
The SNAKE is equipped.
>THROW SNAKE AT BOAR
The SNAKE does not like that. The boar charges you. You are dead.
Would you like to (R)estart or (Q)uit?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I did this as well. There's a vendor who sells Hawl Owls and Great Horned Owls just inside the gates of Darnassus.

Ah, ye olde days of Burning Crusade...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Battle pets are only for battle pet battles, when you go into battle pet battle mode with the "trainers" who exist for that reason (or another player.)

It is for vanity reasons, besides "battling" them; Think of them as just another "companion" mini pet.
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Hunter
So the only way to get battle pets is from vendors?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/10/2013 11:34 PMPosted by Eldrvarya
So the only way to get battle pets is from vendors?

No. You can buy them from vendors, receive them as achievement rewards, capture them in the wild, and buy them on the Blizzard Store or via the TCG.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Some are also quest rewards or can be made by players through crafting.
Reply Quote
And some are also available via rep or drops from mobs or bosses.

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
battle pets can be a hindrance to rogues and feral cat druids.

It doesn't happen often but unless they changed it, battle pets don't stealth with you making your stealth less useful in BGs and world PVP since a keen eye can see your pet out even if they can't see you and can drop and AoE to break your stealth and take away your opener.
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Hunter
Can battle pets follow u around along with your hunter pets?
Reply Quote
77 Orc Hunter
02/11/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Eldrvarya
Can battle pets follow u around along with your hunter pets?

Yup.
On an alliance around level 55 you can earn a purple-striped saber mount. You can also tame a hunter pet of the same color and buy a same color battle pet. When mounted with your hunter pet and battle pet out, it looks like a whole family. I believe you can do something similar with the white and black striped cats and white bears and the level 55 Horde mount.
Edited by Nok on 2/11/2013 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Hunter
Cool I think I'll get a battle pet. Do u hav to train for them?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Nope, they're ready to purchase or earn and start following you around, you only need to train for the Pet Battle part of it.

And btw the quests in Darkshore will include Withers as a quest reward.
Edited by Drewb on 2/11/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Hunter
Cool I'm heading to dark shore soon! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]