Mage Armors

Problem I've found with mages throughout the 7 years I've played is that out of the 3 armors there is always atleast one that tends to be useless as the other 2 are better.

Why not make mage armor baseline and nerf it a little so that is not overpowered since it would be baseline. Blizzard would know how to nerf it hopefully. I know each armor is based for each spec( Arcane, Fire, Frost) and so it makes the most sense to have the Arcane armor be the one baseline.

Mages would still have to choose between 2 armors ( fire, frost ) depending on the situation and what we want to do but it wouldn't make the third option just another spell on the spellbook that its never used. I think this would help refine the mage class in the long term while still allowing the choice between armors. Thoughts ?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I don't know much about Frost spec, but last I heard, they used Frost Armor, meaning each spec uses the armor named for that spec. Sounds like each of them has a use if that's still true.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
You play Frost? Use Frost Armor.
You play Fire? Use Molten Armor.
You play Arcane? Use either Mage Armor or Frost Armor, depending on your stat priority.

Why fix something that isn't broken?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I'd honestly say the better strategy is to make each armor unique to the spec. Other than weird tricks in PvP, it would probably be better if you could only use the armor for your spec. The same way that Arcane Blast and Fireball are no longer castable by Frost Mages because they never used them.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 05:55 PMPosted by Kurojushi
I'd honestly say the better strategy is to make each armor unique to the spec. Other than weird tricks in PvP, it would probably be better if you could only use the armor for your spec. The same way that Arcane Blast and Fireball are no longer castable by Frost Mages because they never used them.

This is an excellent suggestion. Yes frost never needed those spells but we still had them there taking up space for many expansions. The reason why I said to make mage armor baseline and leave two choices instead of making them each depending on spec is because in pvp u are required to sometimes change armors depending on enemy for its defensive values ( like mage armor for casters and molten for melee.)
Edited by Blazely on 2/7/2013 6:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I think they actually did a decent job at differentiating them this expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The only way your idea would work is if (a) your spec got the appropriate bonus no matter which armor was worn and/or (b) you combined some of the defensive bonuses.

So yes, if they want to make one armor (preferably Molten Armor... the other trees already do everything Fire does and more - especially Arcane) which reduces DoT damage AND reduces melee damage and gives you the appropriate bonus for your spec, that would be great.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/07/2013 05:55 PMPosted by Kurojushi

That's a horrible idea. That would kill the arcane haste build since arcane would be forced to use mage armor.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
What they should do is make frost armor reduce physical damage like it used to and do something else with molten
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 09:47 PMPosted by Derìk

That's a horrible idea. That would kill the arcane haste build since arcane would be forced to use mage armor.

So making Mage simpler for newer players and having fewer buttons is a "horrible idea" because there is some crazy out there corner-case haste build for Arcane? Don't you find it a little coincidental that the stat that is given by each armor corresponds very well to the spec that uses it? Seems like Blizzard might have planned for that, don't you think? They normally don't enjoy when players find ways around their plans too much (like Scorch Weaving). Sometimes they find it funny and cool when people do that, but more often than not, they have plans and we tend to fall in line.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 09:49 PMPosted by ßreezy
What they should do is make frost armor reduce physical damage like it used to and do something else with molten

Ok but where does that leave molten armor ? With what u are saying the only thing that would change is mages using frost armor for melee instead of molten and mage armor still being used for magic damage. It doesn't fix the issue. There is only room for 2 armors one against melee and one against magic the third options feels rather cluttered.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 10:37 PMPosted by Blazely

Ok but where does that leave molten armor ? With what u are saying the only thing that would change is mages using frost armor for melee instead of molten and mage armor still being used for magic damage. It doesn't fix the issue. There is only room for 2 armors one against melee and one against magic the third options feels rather cluttered.

If you change around your armors for PvP, not only does it take 3 seconds to change (or a waste of a major glyph spot), but, as you said, 2 of them work for melee, and the other works for magic. The defensive benefits aren't huge, and the offensive stat change doesn't really do much either. There really is no point to having all 3 spells for each spec, and I am willing to bet that it is really confusing to new Mages as well. Just get rid of them and make them passives, we already have TONS of buttons, they are a waste of space.
Reply Quote

If you change around your armors for PvP, not only does it take 3 seconds to change (or a waste of a major glyph spot), but, as you said, 2 of them work for melee, and the other works for magic. The defensive benefits aren't huge, and the offensive stat change doesn't really do much either. There really is no point to having all 3 spells for each spec, and I am willing to bet that it is really confusing to new Mages as well. Just get rid of them and make them passives, we already have TONS of buttons, they are a waste of space.

I agree new mages might get confused as to which armor to use. Blizzard could take a page from what they did to warlocks and how they made fel armor passive. You would think that 4 expansions down the line and they would have the armor issue solved.
Edited by Blazely on 2/7/2013 11:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 11:09 PMPosted by Blazely
I agree new mages might get confused as to which armor to use. Blizzard could take a page from what they did to warlocks and how they made fel armor passive.

Sounds like a good idea to me. A little homogenization never hurt anyone. Not sure what to do with the glyph though, making it give back the current version of the armors would be clunky at best, and would lose out on what the glyph actually does now at worse. I don't think too many players would really be all that upset though honestly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
[quote="78623988024"][quote]

So making Mage simpler for newer players and having fewer buttons is a "horrible idea" because there is some crazy out there corner-case haste build for Arcane? Don't you find it a little coincidental that the stat that is given by each armor corresponds very well to the spec that uses it? Seems like Blizzard might have planned for that, don't you think? They normally don't enjoy when players find ways around their plans too much (like Scorch Weaving). Sometimes they find it funny and cool when people do that, but more often than not, they have plans and we tend to fall in line.

Arcane haste build vs mastery build are very close in numbers. The haste build works a little better with the new innvoation than the mastery build. While the mastery build works better with rune of power.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/07/2013 06:35 PMPosted by Yukina
I think they actually did a decent job at differentiating them this expansion.

They did indeed. There is nothing wrong with the current armor system. New players if anything are not confused by the armors but how to play the actual spec of choice. Most of them play a certain spec because they've heard that its the top dps spec. Meanwhile thier gear is not compatable with the spec, so they do poorly.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
pve you use all armors just depends on spec.

PvP normally you end up forgetting about one armor while swapping the other two.

Only thing I would fix is put them back on instant why they went to cast time i'll never know.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
02/07/2013 11:58 PMPosted by Xiun
Only thing I would fix is put them back on instant why they went to cast time i'll never know.

So they can make a glyph for it =p
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
As of right now armors are just another buff. One that I consistently forget to put back on when switching between specs rabble rabble rabble.

They're fine for PvE - I'm a fire mage, I want crit. Making the armors spec specific wouldn't hurt me there at all.

PvP wise It's a little frustrating to see those options and then go lolnope. If a warlock/spriest duo is trying to get up in my business, I can't switch to Mage Armor to mitigate that anymore. I'm stuck with Molten Armor.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/08/2013 12:13 AMPosted by Digerati
So they can make a glyph for it =p

Why isn't it instant though ughguughff
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]