Bros, I need help with a macro

90 Orc Shaman
I recently acquired my new ability unleash elements and in order to keep my bars clean and tidy, I decided to macro it in with my two other melee abilities: stormstrike n lavalash

before, my macro for them was:
/castsequence reset=7 Stormstrike, Lava Lash

I tried:
/castsequence reset=14 Unleash Elements, Stormstrike, Lava Lash

It works somewhat, but the reset does not. The macro rotates the abilities used in order, but do not reset in 14 seconds back to UE. Any help?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'd recommend keybinding it. You'll be better off keybinding things in the long run instead of jamming everything into a macro. You just get so much more flexibility and cast sequence macros tend not to work every time.

However, if you really want to macro it, I'd suggest putting it in a cast sequence with your flame shock. /castsequence reset=15 unleash elements, flame shock
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Oh I just found out reset means not pushing the key for that amount of time...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I recommend this macro instead (pve single target only):

#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence reset=6 stormstrike, unleash elements, flame shock, stormstrike, earth shock

keep lava lash on an exclusive keybind
Edited by Shamantra on 2/8/2013 9:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I kind of just wish Blizzard would remove castsequence abilities to stop these threads.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Step 1 Ask for a cast sequence macro
Step 2 complain about how bad your dps is and call for an enhancement revamp.
Step 3 have rude in here saying no.

Learn to play normally and stop this vicious cycle.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
i cnt poosh buttan :(
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/08/2013 12:36 PMPosted by Lif
Step 3 have rude in here saying no.
Rude is not as rude as he used to be, he was once an orc... now a panda (and a female one). Yeah he is getting soft.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Cast sequence macros are NEVER a good idea as Enhance

This... but also for any class at all in my opinion. You have to leave yourself flexible as situations change and you have to use different abilities. It's not that hard.

If you're worried about keybinds, have you tried using keys aside from just the 1-0 buttons? How about the F-keys or the letter keys under your hand? I go nuts and keybind EVERYTHING to my mouse or to any button that's within quick reach of my fingers. It makes everything SO much better.

You can also use modifiers so that multiple skills can bind to one button... so that if you press 1, 1+shift, 1+ctrl, 1+alt, you can access different abilities. I do that a lot as well, mostly with my mouse buttons for things like buffs and my totems.

Someone will need to hop in with a modifier key macro though, as off the top of my head I don't remember how it's written out.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I use keybinds because i pvp. I used to click and still did heroic dungeons and normal raids (cata raids) without problem (even pre nerf). People that are very bad typists (like can't type his own name without pressing 3+ wrong keys) won't benefit that much from keybinds.

Of course practice makes it perfect but some people just want to log and have fun, if they are not skillful now and they probably will never be. I didn't feel motivated to use keybinds until i started doing some pvp.

I could do very competitive dps using the above mentioned castsequence macro, one button for LL, one button for LB. And guess what, almost perfect rotation for enhance with 3 buttons. Only problem was when i needed to swap for aoe, but i just made a action bar page switch.

I don't believe forum posts should be restricted to best practices for most skilled game play (which are only necessary for heroic raids and hight rated arena/rbgs). Same IRL where modifications were done to help handicap people (like ramps for those attached to wheel chair so them can go places normal people can just walk). You need to be an athlete to be member of Navy Seals but you can be fat and slow and still be a cop (no offense).

Some people comes to forum and say: hey i am skill-handicapped and i want some castsequence macro to make things easier so i can do some heroic dungeons and normal mode raids. Why not? Why tell: "hey dude, don't use the ramp on this wheel chair like a loser just walk like a normal person that is much faster!"? See my point?

I like to point out castsequence macros are indeed not a good practice, however very helpful for a lot of people. If you are not one of those, good job.
Edited by Shamantra on 2/8/2013 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
02/08/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Shamantra
I used to click and still did heroic dungeons and normal raids (cata raids) without problem (even pre nerf).

There are very few people in MMO games that are actually capable of playing at a high level while clicking, and even then those players are still gimping themselves even if they don't realize it.

Your raiding in Cata was normal content until nerfs happened. So it worked for that kind of content, and that's basically the only content it works for. It would pretty much not have worked if you were in a more serious progression raiding guild.

I could do very competitive dps using the above mentioned castsequence macro

Competitive is subjective. People who do competitive DPS with others with a castsequence macro is not playing with good players. That can sound mean if you want it to, but it's also the truth.

I don't believe forum posts should be restricted to best practices for most skilled game play (which are only necessary for heroic raids and hight rated arena/rbgs)

It's not about telling people how to play 100% optimally, it's about moving players away from bad play. Castsequence macros are 99.99% of the time...bad play. So no one really likes to see anyone advocate them. I tell people all the time that if you're just casual and don't really care you can do a general reforge job. You don't have to min/max your hit cap to 7.50% on the dot. And that the general rotation for this spec is XYZ, and you can ignore trying to absolutely perfect it and the variables that can come with it, and that you don't need to get the top of the line enchants either.

Castsequence macros, however, are a whole different ballpark.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/08/2013 02:51 PMPosted by Varlth
It would pretty much not have worked if you were in a more serious progression raiding guild.
Totally agree. However keep in mind that the a considerable amount of players are not in a serious progression raiding guild. Are you?
Competitive is subjective. People who do competitive DPS with others with a castsequence macro is not playing with good players. That can sound mean if you want it to, but it's also the truth.
It doesn't sound mean at all and it is true, "good players" is also subjective. You can be good compared to me but you are not good player from a Burning Legion (or any other top guild) player point of view. That can sound mean but also the truth. :)
Castsequence macros, however, are a whole different ballpark.
Also agree. But what about people that need to look at keyboard to press the right key? castsequence macros can save buttons they need to press improving their dps (not because is the right thing to do but because they are not able to do the right thing).

I think castsequence macros are like crutches. Do you think crutches are bad? I think they are very useful for some people. Don't just always assume people are using them for no reason. Did you ever met a person using crutches without need?

My point still stands: you don't help a handicapped person telling them to stand-up.
Edited by Shamantra on 2/8/2013 3:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
02/08/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Shamantra
However keep in mind that the a considerable amount of players are not in a serious progression raiding guild. Are you?

Not at the moment. I'm on hardcore break. for now. As you can see this toon isn't near capable of getting the achievements I currently have for MoP.

The reason I brought up your competitive DPS is that...well, I'm looking at it from the perspective of the class as a whole, and what it's capable of doing at it's maximum, or with at least competent play. To say using a castsequence macro allows me to pull competitive DPS is skewed. That's like saying I'm a 2H enhance shaman, and I can pull competitive DPS...even though my guild is still working on Normal Feng.

You can be good compared to me but you are not good player from a Burning Legion (or any other top guild) player point of view. That can sound mean but also the truth. :)

Blood legion, but close enough. And Blood legion isn't a guild filled with good players. They're filled with exceptional players, and anyone who says they are just "good" is either full of it, or on their playing field, but they also know in the grand scheme of things that they are an exceptional roster of players (with a lot of time on their hands). So no, I don't see good quite as subjective as competitive.

I find people who trash talk others as being bad when they aren't able to hang with their guild, but are still capable of doing top 25, 50, or even 100 US kills to be extremely conceited, and tend to be not worth the time.

I think castsequence macros are like crutches. Do you think crutches are bad? I think they are very useful for some people. Don't just always assume people are using them for no reason. Did you ever met a person using crutches without need?

Anyone who needs a castsequence macro to pull even acceptable DPS is either extremely young, and can't comprehend gearing, rotation, enchanting..etc, or have some sort of IRL disability. That's the only crutch that can exist in a game like this. Even the most extreme casuals can be extremely good at this game if the only limiting factor they have is time.

My point still stands: you don't help a handicapped person telling them to stand-up.

And my point still stands: If you're going to give away castsequence macros to people then fine, go for it, but only in the most extreme scenarios where the dude has a form of muscular dystrophy and can't actually perform the rotation.

For people attempting to learn the spec, or even asking for a castsequence macro (like the OP), you should be attempting to persuade them away. These people that ask for them usually think it's a smart thing to do, or enhancing their capabilities when it's not, and when told otherwise they look into getting better without it.

But what about people that need to look at keyboard to press the right key?

Ever heard of muscle memory? You get them to keybind. You get them to stop looking at the keyboard and they will learn unless they actually have some sort of disability. Do you know if the OP has a disability like that?

Coming from someone who, when he first got into WoW 7 years ago, was a pecker at typing, and clicked who now can type an upwards of 60-70 WPM and obviously doesn't need to look at the keyboard anymore, and keybinds pretty much everything and use abilities with that muscle memory I can say that anyone who doesn't have a disability is full of it when they say they are incapable of learning how to do those kinds of things.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Coming from someone who, when he first got into WoW 7 years ago, was a pecker at typing, and clicked who now can type an upwards of 60-70 WPM and obviously doesn't need to look at the keyboard anymore, and keybinds pretty much everything and use abilities with that muscle memory
Nice, how long it took? Did you use castsequence macros in the process? If so, do you regret it or just think it was part of development, a transitory state?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I was typing without looking at the keyboard by TBC. I don't know the WPM part. I literally learned how to type from interacting with people in WoW.

The only castsequence macro I have ever used was on my hunter in TBC, and that was because it was actually the best way to DPS back then. Back then some rotations were a lot more concrete instead of what Blizzard tries to do now with making specs priority based, and not black and white rotations. So I don't regret doing that because that was the only time castsequence macros could legitimately work in certain situations.

I was actually a clicker till some point in WoTLK. I don't remember when I started binding. May have been pre-patch before WoTLK when I started experimenting. I know that at first I didn't like it. I felt I could do better with my typical clicking, but I just bit the bullet and did it. I know that certain keybinds felt awkward at times, but again muscle memory. Eventually they stop becoming awkward.

Otherwise I have never had a need to use a castsequence macro. I played a warrior as my main until the end of TBC. Never used a castsequence macro with him. Went elemental in WoTLK, and even when we had the concrete 4:3 or 5:4 rotation I didn't use one (it probably could have been done, but I don't remember even seeing one).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Lol guys, my main is only level 83, so I'm not nearly as serious with the game yet, esp with pvp. I just want things to be cleaner before I actually get to 90 and start doing serious stuff.
And yes, I use mod keys, keybinds and all that.
I'm currently using my 1-6 keys WITH mods, and also my Q, E, R, T, Z, X, C, V, and B--most with mods too. I was utilizing my F key as assist-targeting function, but I'll see how it works out as an ability keybind. It may seem like I'm serious about my gaming, but trust me, atm I'm just casual. I don't even have MoP yet.
My macros and castsequences may not seem efficient, but even with my !@#$ gear, I still get at least 4th place DPS AND Heals in all my random bgs.
Once I hit 90 and get the good gear, I'll take what you guys advised into consideration.
Thanks all you %^-*!@# brosefos.

Edit: Actually I'm using ALL my letter keys WITH mods. lawl. And Varlth is right. It's really easy to keep the keybinds into muscle memory, unless you're a rare exception with limited mental capacity--no offense to anyone implied. Repitition, repitition, repitition.
(I appreciate the troll replies too, thx lawl)
Edited by Zoutan on 2/9/2013 1:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/08/2013 07:38 PMPosted by Shamantra
Nice, how long it took? Did you use castsequence macros in the process? If so, do you regret it or just think it was part of development, a transitory state?

Only took me 30 seconds.

Okay, i'll be honest, it took me about 5 minutes after someone pointed it out to me years ago.

Lol guys, my main is only level 83, so I'm not nearly as serious with the game yet, esp with pvp. I just want things to be cleaner before I actually get to 90 and start doing serious stuff.
And yes, I use mod keys, keybinds and all that.
I'm currently using my 1-6 keys WITH mods, and also my Q, E, R, T, Z, X, C, V, and B--most with mods too. I was utilizing my F key as assist-targeting function, but I'll see how it works out as an ability keybind. It may seem like I'm serious about my gaming, but trust me, atm I'm just casual. I don't even have MoP yet.
My macros and castsequences may not seem efficient, but even with my !@#$ gear, I still get at least 4th place DPS AND Heals in all my random bgs.
Once I hit 90 and get the good gear, I'll take what you guys advised into consideration.
Thanks all you %^-*!@# brosefos.

Edit: Actually I'm using ALL my letter keys WITH mods. lawl. And Varlth is right. It's really easy to keep the keybinds into muscle memory, unless you're a rare exception with limited mental capacity--no offense to anyone implied. Repitition, repitition, repitition.
(I appreciate the troll replies too, thx lawl)

Damn son what on earth do you need a castsequence macro for? You're binding half your keyboard, enhance isn't that technical.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Damn son what on earth do you need a castsequence macro for? You're binding half your keyboard, enhance isn't that technical.

I have small hands so it's quicker for me. My fingers are short so I can't really stretch them. I can barely already hit my 6 key lol...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/10/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Zoutan
I have small hands so it's quicker for me. My fingers are short so I can't really stretch them. I can barely already hit my 6 key lol...

I have all my DPS rotational abilities on 1-5 and shift-3 =/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]