Brewmasters

90 Tauren Druid
Any advice on how to keep up with roll,roll,roll, whirling green kick of aggro, roll,roll,roll?

I can't heal in cat form, I can't heal when you're two rooms ahead of the entire group. Why do you find it necessary to chain pull every trash mob from start to finish?

Please Brewmasters, have some consideration to your group! Don't take off like a bat outta !@#$ and then scream at everyone else telling us we suck and to keep up. For some reason you seem really squishy to begin with, my rejuv and lifebloom ticks can only do so much. A Mage with Ice Barrier is tougher.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Or is it the shape of druids?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
While asking us not to run ahead is perfectly reasonable, I get really irritated when people skip pulls. SOME trash is fine, if it's out of the way. but to completely run around half the instance is silly. I came to do the instance, not work twice as hard to NOT do the instance. I've lost count of how many times we've wiped because someone's accidentally pulled something during a boss fight that we should've cleared before hand, just because someone decided to be lazy and skip it.

I'll slow down for you, and actually use my suggested rotations to keep from taking too much damage, thus making your job easier, if you'll help me actually, ya know, DO the instance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
After the 30th run of tanking the same heroic and being overgeared you have to find some ways to make it exciting for the healer. Brewmasters are excellent at kiting large packs of mobs with a combination of stuns (leg sweep, clash), heals, rolls, and dizzying haze (ranged aoe threat and slow) among other creative mechanics. The only problem is that many monks don't quite grasp that they aren't paladins or DK's.

Then again whenever I decide to pull a whole room, I know that if I die (rarely happens) it's my screwup and no one else's.
Reply Quote
I rarely tank but when I do in a heroic I pull none stop, I don't ever really worry about others failing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You need to hit A and B in rhythm with the music (while occasionally eating a cookie) if you want to keep up. I thought everyone knew this by now.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Washburne
While asking us not to run ahead is perfectly reasonable, I get really irritated when people skip pulls. SOME trash is fine, if it's out of the way. but to completely run around half the instance is silly. I came to do the instance, not work twice as hard to NOT do the instance.

But these are basically related concerns.

The tanks that run ahead and the ones that skip mobs - that's basically the same conduct.

As a tank (ok, I've not been around since 5.0 went live, until about a week ago, and not yet on this toon) since BC (Druid, Warrior, Paladin, DK, and for this past week: nooblet monk) - I keep both of these things in mind.

Don't skip stuff, and don't get ahead of my healer and at least 1 DPS (nothing's worse than me and the healer beating on a stack of mobs for 2 years because all the DPS are AFK 3 rooms back).

Of course when I heal and I get a tank who starts skipping stuff, I have been known to sneak in a taunt of some mob "back there in Albuquerque" and then run through and past the tank... :)

Cause like you, if I go to the instance, I'm there to do the instance.

Mind you, back in the last set of heroics for Cata, those ones they had us running the same 3 of since 1911... ... ... ... ... NOT going after detour pulls that are not in the path of the run -at all- is not the same thing as skipping a mob.

Since I've been away for a while, I don't know what's equivalent in the new stuff to draw a comparison of that point for you.

- if you have to go out of you way to avoid a mob, you skipped it. If you have to go out of way to reach a mob, you took a detour pull.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
must be hard when you cant cast any heals while moving...
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Tippz

There can be any number of reasons why a healer is behind. Many of them have nothing to do with mobility of the heal spells.

Snarky comments don't get a discussion anywhere, and don't do a thing to improve group coordination.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
02/09/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Asante

There can be any number of reasons why a healer is behind. Many of them have nothing to do with mobility of the heal spells.

Snarky comments don't get a discussion anywhere, and don't do a thing to improve group coordination.

there isn't a reason to be behind, if you see a tank puling fast you should be thinking about being ahead of him ready for him to make the run to the next pull, how a druid of all healers could fall behind is beyond me.
sorry that you cant comprehend thinking ahead.
Reply Quote
Didn't say I was.

All you have is insults though?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
While asking us not to run ahead is perfectly reasonable, I get really irritated when people skip pulls. SOME trash is fine, if it's out of the way. but to completely run around half the instance is silly. I came to do the instance, not work twice as hard to NOT do the instance. I've lost count of how many times we've wiped because someone's accidentally pulled something during a boss fight that we should've cleared before hand, just because someone decided to be lazy and skip it.

This positively infuriates me, ESPECIALLY while levelling. Why, exactly, are we skipping these little nuggets of XP? Especially when doing your little glitchy thing, getting everyone on board with it, and showing them how to do it takes longer than just DOING THE DAMN PULL.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Yoshi, I can't help but feel you're bringing this to the wrong people. The Brewmasters here (even those still learning the trade like me!) know what they're doing. In fact, they're the reasons why I get complemented to much on my tanking ability in PUGs. Most of us try to keep an eye on our healer's mana and make sure people aren't standing in !@#$ if we have anything to do with it. The monks you've probably run with are the ones who never come here.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
02/09/2013 11:38 AMPosted by Tippz

there isn't a reason to be behind, if you see a tank puling fast you should be thinking about being ahead of him ready for him to make the run to the next pull, how a druid of all healers could fall behind is beyond me.
sorry that you cant comprehend thinking ahead.

You're assuming the tank is doing it correctly and waiting for the pack to be mostly dead before jetting ahead, using their mitigation tools, etc. Many of the "tanks" that jet ahead without paying attention to where the healer is, are they drinking/rezzing, etc are also the fails that hit a couple packs with their aoe aggro once or twice then move on leaving a staggering trail of 10-15 mobs in their wake then get trucked when they stop at the next pack and all the mobs catch up followed by the inevitable wtf heals comment...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Any advice on how to keep up with roll,roll,roll, whirling green kick of aggro, roll,roll,roll?

I can't heal in cat form, I can't heal when you're two rooms ahead of the entire group. Why do you find it necessary to chain pull every trash mob from start to finish?

Please Brewmasters, have some consideration to your group! Don't take off like a bat outta !@#$ and then scream at everyone else telling us we suck and to keep up. For some reason you seem really squishy to begin with, my rejuv and lifebloom ticks can only do so much. A Mage with Ice Barrier is tougher.

I think you have a bit of a misconceptions here.

Hi, I am a new brewmaster but I am no slouch to tanking. (Been playing a pally tank since Bc till the start of MoP. I am no guru of tanking but I hold my own.) And I have always been the tank you described in the sense that I pull like crazy and move like a bat outta hell. But there is a difference... I also know how to survive and control my mob packs. Between glyphed breath of fire, leg sweep and clash timing as well as rolling LoS, Gift of the ox Spheres, chi wave and expel harm I can keep myself up pretty well. The problem you are running into is you are meeting bad monk tanks. Now I am not ma level but seeing what I can do right now in LFD (which is how I am leveling currently.), I feel with a bit of gear I can accomplish the same level of speed and control in normal heroics. CMs may be a different story but that's the nature of the beast.

Also, the "You seem really squishy to begin with" part made me laugh irl. Yes if a brewmaster monk doesn't know what they are doing they are very vulnerable, but if they do how to play their class they are on par with other tanks, with the exception of stuns which is going to be addressed in 5.2. The added toolkit we have and other neat abilities (Touch of Death comes to mind. ) we are solid tanks.

Just because you have met several bad monks doesn't mean you can stereotype us. Gee, where have I see this before? Oh right back with death knights came out. Yes, there were many, many horrible death knights. But in the mix there were a select few who actually took the time to learn their class and they did great. (Which of course I have played a death knight rather exclusively as an alt back in wrath. I remember trying unholy tanking one week, two handed frost tanking another, blood, then dual wield, I could never find which one was my favorite because I simply couldn't figure out which kit I liked. )
Edited by Yingling on 2/10/2013 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Brewmasters are the new Warriors when it comes to mobility. They can both be guilty of getting too far ahead. As a healer Ive just gotten used to it. If they think they can survive without me until I catch up they can pull to their hearts content. But if it causes a wipe I don't consider it my fault. Don't stress yourself out over trying to keep up. Any tank can be guilty of this.. certainly not just brewmasters.

As to squishy brewmasters.. they are actually very hardy tanks. As long as they know what they are doing. If you have a brewmaster that isn't keeping shuffle up, isn't purifying, and isn't using their guard or elusive brew when shuffle is down.. yes they will be very squishy. The 5.2 Mastery buff may help with this.

I understand its frustrating dealing with tanks that get far ahead and leave you scrambling. Especially when they are squishy to boot. But its not just bewmasters that are guilty of this. Its just bad players who haven't taken the time to understand their class. And since brewmasters are new.. there are still many aspects of this class that people don't understand. Especially in a spec where you have to pay close attention to what you are doing. Unlike other tanks where mitigation comes passively with gear and stats. Monks have to actively keep their mitigation up.. otherwise they do horribly.
Edited by Jadesky on 2/13/2013 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]