Outlands...Forgotten?

90 Goblin Hunter
Isn't the general concensous of the entire next expansion supposed to take place back in outland? If so that could be why you're not seeing anything at all yet.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/08/2013 05:00 AMPosted by Bronnfire
No, I hope they never revamp Outlands or Northrend, because when they do, they ERASE old content which is unforgiveable in my opinion.

In a way I agree with this. I had been really excited about the changes that cata brought.....but now....it's all old again, it's suddenly lackluster, and I miss what it was before. I miss the places I enjoyed hanging out in before. Not to mention all the new stuff on Azeroth makes Outland and Northrend seem even MORE outdated than they once were.

I love going back and seeing old content. Even if it's not living it the way it was back then, reliving a little bit is still nice now and then. Revamping Azeroth was a mistake anyway, because a lot of players felt cata lacked content. They spent so much time revamping a world for alts and new players that everyone who didn't care about leveling through the revamp felt like they did not have enough to do. Revamping Outland or Northrend would have the same results.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
On a personal side, I care nothing about revamping old content. I haven't leveled a character besides from the previous level cap to the next level cap since TBC was still "the game". So my selfish side says "don't waste time". But I also get that some people do enjoy going through the story again. I understand that the old Azeroth zones are very different, and enjoyable.

02/08/2013 05:35 AMPosted by Lukar
Northrend ain't exactly getting any make overs either. Everyone blasts through them both now to get to the newer stuff, so any changes would be largely unnoticed.

Everyone blasts through the new stuff too.

True, true.

I was leveling an alt through Pandaria a couple weeks ago, and kept hitting quests that I have no recollection of seeing on the first two toons I'd brought through.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
No, I hope they never revamp Outlands or Northrend, because when they do, they ERASE old content which is unforgiveable in my opinion.

They do this all the time.

What I am hoping for with all of my being is that the next expansion is a return to Outland. Wipe it completely (scale Northrend to go from 60-80 very quickly to cover the old Outland gap) and let's go to war with the legion all over again.

And bring back Shat. <3 Shat. <3 Shat so, so much.

I know they do it all the time. And everytime, I get angry at them.

In a way I agree with this. I had been really excited about the changes that cata brought.....but now....it's all old again, it's suddenly lackluster, and I miss what it was before. I miss the places I enjoyed hanging out in before. Not to mention all the new stuff on Azeroth makes Outland and Northrend seem even MORE outdated than they once were.

I love going back and seeing old content. Even if it's not living it the way it was back then, reliving a little bit is still nice now and then. Revamping Azeroth was a mistake anyway, because a lot of players felt cata lacked content. They spent so much time revamping a world for alts and new players that everyone who didn't care about leveling through the revamp felt like they did not have enough to do. Revamping Outland or Northrend would have the same results.

Revisiting old content kinda sounds good on paper, but it turns out to be a bad idea in practice. When you change what made something classic or popular in the first place, you're removing the reason why people enjoyed it. ...wait, is your name based off of Anberlin, the band?
Edited by Bronnfire on 2/8/2013 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
Well, since we have a good idea that next xpack is gonna be demon infested we will prolly see the other side of Outlands maybe. I hope so, Panda Amusement PArk really ruined my wow experience this expansion...
Reply Quote
45 Gnome Warlock
02/08/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Mightymiata
I hope they don't touch outland. It's the best questing in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/08/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Mightymiata
Are you forgetting how terrible the revamped Cata questing was?

Compared to what was there before, Cata questing is wonderful. No more running out of quests at your hub and having to search around figuring where else has quests for your level. You have hubs that each have a good variety of quests and then you get breadcrumb quests leading you to the next area. Usually you outlevel a zone before you can even see everything in it, too much xp is so much better than too little xp like we used to have.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
02/08/2013 06:48 AMPosted by Grinresh
Are you forgetting how terrible the revamped Cata questing was?

Compared to what was there before, Cata questing is wonderful. No more running out of quests at your hub and having to search around figuring where else has quests for your level. You have hubs that each have a good variety of quests and then you get breadcrumb quests leading you to the next area. Usually you outlevel a zone before you can even see everything in it, too much xp is so much better than too little xp like we used to have.
Also a lot more variety than kill quest, fetch quest on the other side of the planet, kill quest, elite.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
02/08/2013 06:30 AMPosted by Shamrunt
Isn't the general concensous of the entire next expansion supposed to take place back in outland? If so that could be why you're not seeing anything at all yet.
It's Legion-centric, but it isn't necessarily on Outland. It's a possibility, since Blizz said that they want to overhaul Outland and Northrend at some point, but it's pretty unlikely given how much people hate story advancement.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/08/2013 06:57 AMPosted by Mightymiata
Blizzard admitted that the linearity of Cataclysm had been a big mistake. That's why they've wound some of that back with the MOP zones.

Wrath questing was best, really, where you had hubs and breadcrumbs telling you where you could go next, but you didn't absolutely have to do every hub in the zone in a predetermined order. And Pandaria zones are good about this, sometimes giving you multiple options. But still, Cata's linear questing is much preferable to just giving no clue where you're supposed to go next, especially for new players. (who are the main people who are going to be doing 1-60 content)

02/08/2013 06:57 AMPosted by Mightymiata
Unfortunately "streamlined" questing, AKA "Questing for people who hate questing and levelling" appeals to enough for the playerbase that Blizzard is forced to meet them halfway.

But streamlined questing is fun. Fun enough that I ran six toons through it during the course of Cata and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. It's only when they hit Outland and I got to the horrid questing there (bad drop rates, unclear objectives, too much meaningless travel) that I'd stop having fun with them.
Reply Quote
I hate Outlands with a passion.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
With all the revamps and updates to the worlds of the game...I have been feeling that Outlands has been forgotten and is unloved. The war with the demons still rages on there to no avail. I for one would love to see what happens next in the world of Drainis and Orcs.

Blizzard Do you think you will ever address an over haul to Outlands like what you did for Cata?

Players: Do you want to see the Orcs get their homes back? Allis: What ever happened to the Son of Lothomar? Or can their world be saved?

These are all questions that i have wanted answers for at least 2expansions. I miss my out lands, but I dont like the lack of a challenge that it is now.

Discuss.

You have to remember the main reason the original WoW zones were revamped. They were part of the Cata expansion with Deathwing's destruction of the old world.

If they have any expansion that involves the Burning Legion, they may revamp Outland depending on how those zones play into that story line.
Edited by Krondorl on 2/8/2013 7:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
With all the revamps and updates to the worlds of the game...I have been feeling that Outlands has been forgotten and is unloved. The war with the demons still rages on there to no avail. I for one would love to see what happens next in the world of Drainis and Orcs.

Blizzard Do you think you will ever address an over haul to Outlands like what you did for Cata?

Players: Do you want to see the Orcs get their homes back? Allis: What ever happened to the Son of Lothomar? Or can their world be saved?

These are all questions that i have wanted answers for at least 2expansions. I miss my out lands, but I dont like the lack of a challenge that it is now.

Discuss.

You have to remember the main reason the original WoW zones were revamped. They were part of the Cata expansion with Deathwing's destruction of the old world.

If they have any expansion that involves the Burning Legion, they may revamp Outland depending on how those zones play into that story line.

They wont revamp outlands much really, we only touched one continent on Draenor.
Reply Quote
i was in shatt the other day and there is someone there with a yellow ! by the big ahnk or whoever and i know he wasnt there before. i had pretty much done every quest.
i didnt take the quest but does anyone know what this is about ?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
we touched a continent of draenor, not on...remember...the planet was ripped to pieces.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/08/2013 05:11 AMPosted by Erras

They do this all the time.

What I am hoping for with all of my being is that the next expansion is a return to Outland. Wipe it completely (scale Northrend to go from 60-80 very quickly to cover the old Outland gap) and let's go to war with the legion all over again.

And bring back Shat. <3 Shat. <3 Shat so, so much.

Are you talking about the Shat I think you are? THE Shat? As in William Shatner? I love him too!

In seriousness though, wouldn't completely changing all of Outland like that change established Lore and Canon to the point that the Warcraft timeline would be broken as though the BC era never happened?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'd at least like to see Halaa get some action again. Nagrand is dead, even with CRZ, and there are those like myself who would still like to get their mounts from there.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Given the "timeline" conflicts that now occur when leveling a new toon through all this very old content, I would have to propose that something more than a "makeover" would be necessary. I would suggest taking a few (2-3) of the Azeroth zones that contain the same level challenges and amp them up to Outland level, eliminate Outland altogether (in essence close/destroy the Dark Portal -- at least for now) and use all the saved data space for all new stuff -- shut down access to Northrend somehow (saving it for another complete future rewrite) and move on to all newer stuff elsewhere (Azeroth or otherwise).

All old gear, mounts, achieves only available in those areas, etc., would become FOS so those who have done them can commemorate participation, but let them go by the wayside like the pre-Cata Azeroth did. Recipes, patterns, el al, would be either removed (simplifying prof leveling), moved to the new amped up Azeroth zones, whatever. There are a number of changes that would occur, most of them long-range beneficial to everyone.

Not only would it "spring clean" all that old content it would provide opportunity for all new stuff without necessitating too much in the way of additional resource creation for Blizz.

Both sides win.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]