Outlands...Forgotten?

20 Blood Elf Rogue
02/08/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Softandfuzzy
I always look forward to Outland when leveling. I like the zones and the lore is excellent. I can't wait for there to be more added to it. Don't update it, just add to it. Turalyon and Alleria need to come back already.

So, do you want them to not take out anything that seems outdated?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Blizzard has confirmed that Turalyon and Allerias story will continue in the next expansion. If you know anything about those two, youll know that they have been lost in outlands (and possibly beyond) since WC2: beyond the dark portal. I will bet you anything that the next expansion will involve the burning legion, the aforementioned people, and MAYBE a revamp of outland.

Also the reason outlands looks like poop now is because it was built for a low draw distance that was present in vanilla. When wrath came out they increased the draw distance and every environment since then has been built around it. Poor outlands just couldnt hang.

I cant wait for this next expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/08/2013 06:57 AMPosted by Mightymiata
Unfortunately "streamlined" questing, AKA "Questing for people who hate questing and levelling" appeals to enough for the playerbase that Blizzard is forced to meet them halfway. We won't see any truly great chains like the Legend of Stalvan again

The Stalvan questline was one of my absolute favorites back in Classic! Every character I leveled Ally side went through Duskwood. It had a great storyline and when you traveled you traveled for a reason. Not everyone is in the same spot. Not all things of importance are in the same area. You had to go explore the world and actually adventure a little bit and get involved in the story.

Now, sadly, that concept is gone, replaced by the idea that quests are for exp grinding and need to be done efficiently for the sake of getting the max exp/time as possible. We tried the railroad version of it in Cata, but it was too linear, so now we have railroads connecting quest hubs that still all get done together en masse. It's efficient and certainly caters to that very vocal crowd that only wants to raid or PVP, but ignores those of us who actually want an adventure and rp experience in an RPG!

By no means am I asking for the return of the the 10 different questlines from all corners of the lvl 40 globe feeding into ST. That was horrendous and shouldn't come back, nor should things like the obligatory trek to Azshara after they implemented those lvl 50 class-specific quests that again all fed into ST. These are examples of travel serving no purpose other than to take time.

Travel with purpose involves exploring the world. If we're headed to a city, develop a character there and let us interact with them. Create a mystery. Create a sense of discovery. I know your writers and quest design crew are capable of it. They're doing a good job with it right now with the legendary questline and the warlock green fire quests.

What I don't want more of is "sift through the poop" quests, and the "farm the low-drop rate bear butts" quests. That's not adventure, that's grinding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Blizzard has confirmed that Turalyon and Allerias story will continue in the next expansion. If you know anything about those two, youll know that they have been lost in outlands (and possibly beyond) since WC2: beyond the dark portal. I will bet you anything that the next expansion will involve the burning legion, the aforementioned people, and MAYBE a revamp of outland.

Also the reason outlands looks like poop now is because it was built for a low draw distance that was present in vanilla. When wrath came out they increased the draw distance and every environment since then has been built around it. Poor outlands just couldnt hang.

I cant wait for this next expansion.

This sounds exciting, can't wait!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I have the feeling there are zones in Outland unknown in BC that will become available to players in the next expansion. In other words: they're adding to what's already there. Perhaps the expansion will partly have to do with restoring Draenor?

It will be interesting to see what comes of this if it is indeed part of what's in store for us in the next expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/08/2013 08:10 AMPosted by Genissa

They do this all the time.

What I am hoping for with all of my being is that the next expansion is a return to Outland. Wipe it completely (scale Northrend to go from 60-80 very quickly to cover the old Outland gap) and let's go to war with the legion all over again.

And bring back Shat. <3 Shat. <3 Shat so, so much.

Are you talking about the Shat I think you are? THE Shat? As in William Shatner? I love him too!

In seriousness though, wouldn't completely changing all of Outland like that change established Lore and Canon to the point that the Warcraft timeline would be broken as though the BC era never happened?

What i was proposing was more of phasing for say levels 91-95. have us the heros reclaim their world.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have the feeling there are zones in Outland unknown in BC that will become available to players in the next expansion. In other words: they're adding to what's already there. Perhaps the expansion will partly have to do with restoring Draenor?

It will be interesting to see what comes of this if it is indeed part of what's in store for us in the next expansion.

There are also three (or more i forgot) closed/inactive portals in outland, which could very easily serve as literal gateways to other worlds for the next expansions. One in Zangarmarsh, one in Blades edge mountains, and one in Nagrand.

Picture the next expansions initial quest line going something like this:

You get an urgent request from Khadgar that Turalyon (Alliance) or <Random Horde NPC> (Horde) has found a massive Burning Legion invasion post beyond Outland. You head to Outland and once inside the portal you see a colossal battle ensuing (bigger than the one currently at the stair of destiny). An NPC at the immediate entrance tells you to get on the gryphon while the forces of the Aldor and Scyer (Greatly strengthened since BC) hold off the demons. He flies you (randomly) to one of the three aforementioned gateways, and along the way you see demons literally every step of the way fighting Aldor/Scryer.

Im talking from Hellfire through every single zone. It has to give you a sense that they're not pulling punches this time, theyre sending everything. Upon arriving at one of the three gateways, another NPC tells you to get inside the newly renewed gate. Before you step in, the same NPC tells you that the defenders of Outland simply arent a match for the full might of the legion, and that the only way to keep them from reaching Azeroth and staling them, is to destroy the dark portal. A short cinematic ensues where you see a Pitlord riding towards the Dark Portal on a Titanic Demon mount (a New model for a demon so big a pitlord can ride it will be revealed further adding to how dire the situation is) and shortly before he reaches it, the portal explodes and collapses taking with it that chunk of land.

The entirety of the above would happen in a phased version of Outland. The original outland will still be there once you have access back to Azeroth, and this phased version will exist in a sort of time bubble lore wise. In the new continent/planet, you will eventually have to do a quest to help some mages open portals to Azeroth, Northrend, Pandaria, etc as part of the effort to bring in reinforcements. Outland in lore from that point on will belong entirely to the Burning Legion.
Edited by Vomax on 2/8/2013 1:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Night Elf Death Knight
02/08/2013 06:57 AMPosted by Mightymiata
Unfortunately "streamlined" questing, AKA "Questing for people who hate questing and levelling" appeals to enough for the playerbase that Blizzard is forced to meet them halfway. We won't see any truly great chains like the Legend of Stalvan again. God forbid you have to travel more than 15 seconds from your questgiver.....

This is the sad truth. I loved the classic AQ quest chain even though I did it at a higher level.

And Outland had some long epic quest chains as well. I loved SMV-the Netherdrake questline, and The Cipher of Damnation except for the tubers (attunement quest chain), for example.

It's unfortunate how much RPG we've lost in this MMORPG over the years.
Reply Quote
24 Blood Elf Hunter
Give them time, eventually theyll update it if they see a need to lore/expansion wise. Same thing with Northrend.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Why do people continue to call it "Outlands" when it clearly says "Outland" on the world map?

http://0.tqn.com/d/internetgames/1/0/F/T/outland.jpg
Edited by Jenerazoral on 2/8/2013 1:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 05:13 AMPosted by Sunrunner
A lot of old world recipes are gone, such as the Enchanted Thorium set.

Hmm. That explains why my currently-leveling miner's Enchanted Thorium Bars would not sell on the AH...
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:26 AMPosted by Grinresh
Outland questing is currently the most dated questing in the game, it's awful. Just erase it and redo it to current standards.

Oh dear god yes. The miner I mentioned in my previous post was leveling in Shadowmoon Valley ...

Taxi to Wildhammer Keep.

Questgiver sends her to Legion Hold for objective A.
Run/fly all the way to Legion Hold, perform objective A.
Run/fly all the way back to Wildhammer Keep.
Questgiver sends her right back to Legion Hold for objective B.
Run/fly all the way to Legion Hold, perform objective B.
Run/fly all the way back to Wildhammer Keep.
Questgiver sends her right back to Legion Hold for objective C.

And so on...
Edited by Theloise on 2/8/2013 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
i was in shatt the other day and there is someone there with a yellow ! by the big ahnk or whoever and i know he wasnt there before. i had pretty much done every quest.
i didnt take the quest but does anyone know what this is about ?

Are you sure it wasn't just the "Commoner" NPC for the Lunar Festival who give you a quest to talk to somebody in one of the capitals? I recently leveled a toon through Outland and that was the only NPC I saw there.

(And jeez I wish this forum had multi-quote functionality so that I didn't have to make all these separate posts to reply to multiple posts.)
Edited by Theloise on 2/8/2013 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/08/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Theloise
(And jeez I wish this forum had multi-quote functionality so that I didn't have to make all these separate posts to reply to multiple posts.)

They do, in a way. Highlight the text you want to quote and press the quote button that pops up over the highlighted text.

Do this many times.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Over all I like a great deal of the ideas, as for "changing" the currents OUTLAND (ty grammar people) shirk the current space that outland has to shorten the undue travel time as like some kind of after math effect.

I would like some kind of BLUE Posters input, but I'm not sure we will get any inside info on this one.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I look forward to whatever blizzard brings, Over all they could stream line some of the old content and then add more of an over haul for the higher level stuff...I would love more players inputs....

Also Request a sticky so that this can go on and show outland our support.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
02/08/2013 05:00 AMPosted by Bronnfire
No, I hope they never revamp Outlands or Northrend, because when they do, they ERASE old content which is unforgiveable in my opinion.

Usually the only thing erased is something I want, but most of the crap I'll never wear is ok.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]