What is the most powerful mineral, lorewise?

100 Human Paladin
***Any elaborate description of a mineral, i got from WoWpedia.com***

From a game play standpoint, trillium/living steel is the most powerful. However, as the title suggests, what would be the most powerful lore wise?

By powerful, I mean durable/indestructible while also providing the user with any kind of power.

From my understanding, based on what ive from inside the game and online, there are a few candidates that qualify to be top tier:

- Thorium - This rare metal combines the weight of lead with the strength of steel. Orcs prize it for weapons because the extra weight allows a skilled user to strike with more force. Thorium armor is amazingly heavy and strong — only adamantine pierces it with any degree of reliability. Thorium is heavier than most metals. An item made from thorium weighs twice as much as the same item made from other metals

- Adamantite - In Warcraft lore, Adamantite is considered to be the next grade up in strength from Thorium.

- Saronite - The quest "Pure Evil" shows how strong and resistant the evil metal is. The Saronite ore collected was completely unscratched by the attacks from Crusade Commander Korfax's Arcanite Reaper. The ore was also completely resistant to the nature magic used against it by Rayne and Rimblat Earthshatter. Finally the ore was struck by the powers of the Holy Light by Avenger Metz, and the ore reacted but seemed to reflect the spell back at everyone in the area. The metal itself is very strong, while being 1/4 the weight of steel.
This would seem to be the main reason the Lich King chose to use this evil ore to create his fortresses in Icecrown as well as create his war machines, allowing them to be resistant to whatever attack was launched against them. It is likely that since the Lich King is so powerful, and his undead minions have no will of their own to speak of, they would be resistant to the evil of Yogg-Saron.
It also has powerful properties that are useful against undead, who's animate flesh is nigh indestructible. When forged into a weapon, not only would it tear the body apart but would obliterate the soul as well

- Titanium - Not much is known about this ore. I can only assume from the name and from its real life counterpart, that it should be very powerful.

- Elementium - Elementium is an extremely rare metal, found only in some of the most remote regions of Azeroth. It is believed by archaeologists to have been formed during the prehistoric reign of the Old Gods, in places where there were high concentrations of elemental creatures. In fact, elementium isn’t native to Azeroth, and is found only near high concentrations of elemental creatures because they bring it from the Elemental Plane where it is actually quite common. The unique properties of elementium allow it to absorb and channel elemental forces. Skilled smiths temper elementium in blistering forges, adding to the quality of the item. Elementium is so heavy that to craft armor from it would leave the wearer virtually immobile, so the metal is usually only used to craft weapons.
It was revealed that the Twilight's Hammer forged a new set of armor plates made of elementium for Deathwing.

- Obsidium - "Obsidium" could be attributed to "Obsidian" which is a glass-like material, and has been argued to be one of the sharpest known materials in the word. This assumption holds true since the artwork for "Obsidium" is shaped like flints, or shales..rather than the traditional Bar type ore.

- Pyrite - Though i am not sure of its durability, its destructive nature seem very strong. This is based solely on the Flame Leviathan encounter in Ulduar where one uses liquid pyrite to defeat the boss.

- Trillium - Almost nothing known about its strength.

-Living steel - Almost nothing known about its strength.

- Arcanite - This grayish metal looks dull even when tempered, but it holds a keener edge than any other metal on Azeroth. Arcanite is extremely flexible and can be worked into a springy armor that turns aside the mightiest blows. Only weapons, armor, and shields normally made of metal can be fashioned from arcanite; a warblade can be made of arcanite, but a tauren totem cannot.

- Dark Iron - Considering one needed to smelt and forge this inside of an instance, it would be wise to speculate that this metal held considerable capabilities.

- Frozen Rune - These were needed to craft the Icebane armor from old naxxramas. Not much else is known.

- Mithril - By some, Mithril is one of the toughest ores in Azeroth. Mithril is often mined by the dwarfs. Therefore the Mithril order was found.

- Truesilver - The magical and mysterious truesilver is greatly sought for its arcane properties, especially for its use in armor treatments. By the rigorous application of dweomers, armorers boast that this armor treatment "can give mortals a taste of godhood". While armorers are not immune to hyperbole, there’s little doubt this treatment produces extraordinary transformations. Only heavy armor may receive the truesilver treatment.

These are all the ones i can think of off the top of my head. So if theres some i missed post it and ill update it.

So, which is the most powerful? My money would be on saronite, but im probably wrong.

EDIT 1 : Added Truesilver and Mithril
EDIT 2 : Added more info about Obsidium. Thanks Stomperz
Edited by Vomax on 2/8/2013 8:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'm going to go with saronite. (Deeply thought post is it not?)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I agree, Saronite.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd say saronite too...
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Elementium, I believe.
Reply Quote
Well its a toss up between elementium and saronite for most durable though I will probably say Saronite is more practical for armor. But there is one metal that is unamed in lore and it was used to forge frostmourne probably the most powerful rune blade ever made next to Sargras's blade and only equaled by the Ashbringer. From what I have read the Nathrizhim dreadlords were responsible for forging frostmourne so I wonder what metal they have. We may find out next expac sense there is a high speculation the legion is comeing back.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I thought Frostmourne was made from the enchanted ice of the Frozen Throne?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
02/08/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Dreignei

Frostmourne is otherwordly. All that is known is that the Burning Legion made it and thrust it into the Frozen Throne.

It is, in fact, entirely possible that Frostmourne is sentient, even. And from a race of.....I guess swords, or something.

As for this topic, I think in Blizzard's mind the newest ore in every expansion really is the most "powerful".
Reply Quote
99 Troll Hunter
Well 'most powerful' is relative. Some metals could be better at certain things. A Thorium blade might not cut as well as an Obsidium blade, or Saronite armor might be softer than Adamantium armor, but can reflect magic better.

I think Saronite would be the 'softest' of them all, but, as you said, is very good at reflecting magic. Then again, you hafta deal with the maddening whispers of Yogg-Saron, so, I think a lot of people would avoid it at all costs.

I think Obsidium is the sharpest but the most brittle. Like real life Obsidian, can cut through flesh like butter and when inside it shatters like shrapnel, but that would make it useless against some armors. RL obsidian is supposed to make wonderful arrow tips, which I think would he it's best application here (Imagine having to replace all of the obsidium edges in your axe after you smash it into someone).

Other things could have different qualities, but it would be hard to tag one as the best out of all of them.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 2/8/2013 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Mineral? Whatever the Ata'mal crystal is made of.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Saronite is probably the best metal for armor as it is impervious to physical and magical attacks. Though when mixed with Arthas' hammer (which I believe was Arcanite) it made a powerful weapon.

Id say Arcanite makes the best weapons.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
02/08/2013 11:27 AMPosted by Draile
It is, in fact, entirely possible that Frostmourne is sentient, even. And from a race of.....I guess swords, or something.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091113184538/souleater/images/d/d4/SoulEater.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Saronite.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Imo, its between elementium and Saronite.

Arthas had his entire citadel built out of Saronite and stuck the Frozen Throne on top of it. Every Scourge buildings in Icecrown is made of pure, solid Saronite. Saronite is the blood of an Old God and has been revealed to be able to resist both physical damage and magical damage, and even reflect the Light itself.

Although there is a possibility that Titansteel is stronger, its more of combination of ore and elements, so I don't count it as a pure metal. If you do though, I would suggest adding titansteel to the list. Its a mix of titanium, arguably one of the hardest metals ever, and elemental fire, earth and shadow.

Elementium (pyrite is not used to forge anything, but is rather used to make the whole thing better. Like a stronger alloy, or a better enchanted metal) comes from the elemental plane of earth, so its definitely nothing to laugh at. Anything that comes from that plane is rock solid and extremely powerful. Twilight's Hammer used it as weapons (sometimes cursed weapons that were extremely powerful in their hands, but brittle and impossible to wield by their enemies), as structures (always twisted), but not as armor.

For these reasons, I imagine that elementium makes good weapons, but falls short compared to Saronite as armor. As far as building stuff comes, Twilight's Hammer mostly controlled it into the shape they wanted rather than it being smithed into parts for buildings.
Reply Quote

Frostmourne is otherwordly. All that is known is that the Burning Legion made it and thrust it into the Frozen Throne.

As for this topic, I think in Blizzard's mind the newest ore in every expansion really is the most "powerful".

Frostmourne is most likely made of the same or similar materials as Shadowmourne and empowered in a similar manner.

Also, Saronite is the most powerful armoursmithing, Elementium is the strongest for weaponsmithing.

Saronite does have the drawback of driving anyone but death knights (possibly undead as a whole) insane so it's not a good idea for anyone else to wear it.

Titanium is probably the best armour for mortals, since it neither weighs the wearer down nor drives him or her mad.
Edited by Amorene on 2/9/2013 1:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Is there any lore behind Ghost Iron and the other Pandaria metals?
Reply Quote
99 Troll Hunter
02/10/2013 05:51 PMPosted by Mephelis

Well, Kyparite (Not really a metal, but you can mine and smith it) is the only Pandaria ore we know a lot about.

And it's basically just perfect for a Mantid. Makes a nice blade for any race, sure, but the Mantid could eat it if they had to.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/09/2013 01:04 AMPosted by Amorene
Frostmourne is most likely made of the same or similar materials as Shadowmourne and empowered in a similar manner.

Shadowmourne was crafted using primordial saronite and shards of ice from the Frozen Throne. Frostmourne was forged by the nathrezim, on another world, long before Kil'jaeden created the Lich King. While the dreadlords may have been able to get ice from the Twisting Nether, they'd likely not have access to saronite unless they managed to collect some during the War of the Ancients.

02/10/2013 05:51 PMPosted by Mephelis

Ghost iron is probably iron that's been affected by the Sha. The Sha can be found underground (they sometimes pop up when digging for artifacts), they're often referred to with ghost-related terms (like "haunt") and ghost iron veins appear to exhibit a weak form of the "Sha fire" effect:

http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Ghost_Iron_Deposit.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/10/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Egrem

Shadowmourne was crafted using primordial saronite and shards of ice from the Frozen Throne. Frostmourne was forged by the nathrezim, on another world, long before Kil'jaeden created the Lich King. While the dreadlords may have been able to get ice from the Twisting Nether, they'd likely not have access to saronite unless they managed to collect some during the War of the Ancients.

In Warcraft 3, Tichondrius said Frostmourne was forged by the Lich King, I thought. Or did they change that?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]