Is Melee healing a must for monk?

If I don't enjoy melee healing and want to just stand back and heal like I do on my other healers, am I cutting my healing potential? or is there basically two ways to heal @ max potency, 1: with in melee range and building quick casting..etc the other 2: traditional standing in the back and healing?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
To my knowledge, meleeing is a necessity because you build Chi faster.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Do you have to? No

Will you be less efficient without doing it? Yes.

Also healing monks are melee for boss mechanics, so they are not targeted by them. Thus it's ok (and at times) wiser to stand in melee. And since standing in melee is a good thing, may as well do something when damage is low/easy to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Do you have to? No

Will you be less efficient without doing it? Yes.

Also healing monks are melee for boss mechanics, so they are not targeted by them. Thus it's ok (and at times) wiser to stand in melee. And since standing in melee is a good thing, may as well do something when damage is low/easy to heal.

Pretty much this. I try to stick to cast healing, as I'm most comfortable with it and am tank healing (don't diss it, it's still quite effective), but I still want to try to be in melee for at the very least boss mechanics. Being able to throw a quick Jab when I'm just a Chi short of EnM is wonderful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/08/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Sonkun
If I don't enjoy melee healing and want to just stand back and heal like I do on my other healers, am I cutting my healing potential? or is there basically two ways to heal @ max potency, 1: with in melee range and building quick casting..etc the other 2: traditional standing in the back and healing?

probably will be in 5.2... it seems like gc really wants to make monks pure eminence healers, at least until he realizes it's to op, then he will nurf eminence to 5% of damage done, then buff it to 70% and so on so forth

long story short, reroll to anything but monk until next expansion when they've had a good year or two to understand the beast that is mistweaver.
Reply Quote
Well this is actually the last class for me that can heal/tank, I've leveled the other characters and heal/tank on them all. My Disc Priest of course is a range/dps healer to some extent. But this close range melee to build chi to heal makes me focus on the mobs more and my attention is drawn back to my group.

I'll keep working on it. I feel the way the one mana costing spell gives us one chi should mean I can build it quickly that way.

Maybe I'll get used to it...

Edit:

Also thanks for responding with helpful comments!
Edited by Sonkun on 2/8/2013 3:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Traditional backline healing as Monk has its uses, but is almost always a bad idea to use exclusively.

-Chi generation is less reliable, meaning your HPS and mana generation will be less.

-Including relevant talents and glyphs, you will effectively cut your available MW abilities down by 30-40%.

-When dungeoning/raiding, many mechanics consider MW Monk to be melee, and will apply mechanics accordingly.

Also, people may disagree with me, but I consider MW ranged healing to be ineffective and substandard outside ReM/Uplift blanketing, which is just as easy to do in melee. Either it is sustainable via exclusive use of Soothing/Enveloping/30 talents/Spheres but your Chi is spotty, your Mana Tea suffers and your HPS is mediocre, or Chi generation goes up from Surging use but your mana quite literally nosedives.

Most MW single target healing either has been continually gutted while it was never something to brag about (Surging/Enveloping) or toned down/weakened after it was actually pretty awesome post-buffs (Healing Sphere/30 talents).

Finally, meleeing makes dailies actually not that bad to complete, and MW damage is being increased by a significant margin soon. We might even be out-dpsing Priests again.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from playing MW, and I'm not the most progressed player, but you really should try to use your toolkit effectively via both meleeing and ranged, or you will likely be a detriment in just about every form of group content you do (and soloing without meleeing as MW? heh...). MW's kit was simply not made for exclusive ranged healing, and it WILL show. Maybe it will get better over time as Blizzard improved the class, but for now and in the near future...
Reply Quote
oh no I'm gonna play it, I've been playing since forever and all ways played healers and tanks so this is just very unique.

thanks for the info and suggestions.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Sonkun

At your level? No.

At max level? No.

Just understand that healing at range is different than Fistweaving, and you need to make a more focused effort to spend your Chi, sometimes on things that are not convenient, or end up being a *waste.* I find Fistweaving to flow better, overall, but you can heal from range just fine without being *gimp.*

I wouldn't say that ignoring Fistweaving makes you less of a Mistweaver, but it kind of does put you in the same category as the priests who only know one of their healing specs, regardless of how well they play it.

Riôt
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]