Who really killed Arthas, lore wise?

(Locked)

35 Blood Elf Priest
I love him and wanted to know who killed him and how he died. :) Thanks.
100 Worgen Warrior
Tirion Fordring, Highlord of the Argent Crusade, wieding the mighty Ashbringer, atop the Frozen Throne.

Or in classic clue style - twas Tirion in Icecrown with Ashbringer
Edited by Ethenil on 2/8/2013 4:58 PM PST
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Aliens

We did.

Why is this a question?
90 Tauren Hunter
02/08/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Ethenil
Or in classic clue style - twas Tirion in Icecrown with Ashbringer

This
100 Human Paladin
Tirion Fordring and his champions confronted the Lich King at the Frozen Throne. Arthas froze Tirion in a block of ice and fought with the others for a time. Once he was satisfied that they were indeed the greatest heroes Azeroth had to offer, he killed the lot of them.

Arthas started casting a spell that would raise them all into undeath... but before he could finish, Tirion managed to escape from the ice. Focusing the Light through the Ashbringer, he snuck up behind Arthas, leapt through the air and struck Frostmourne, causing its blade to shatter.

Once Frostmourne was broken, the thousands of souls it had claimed escaped and attacked the Lich King. He was lifted into the air and left unable to defend himself as they swarmed around him. Meanwhile, the spirit of King Terenas cast a Mass Resurrection spell that revived the fallen champions. The lot of them beat on Arthas until he was mortally wounded, at which point he fell to the ground and lost his helmet.

At that point, this cinematic would begin to play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIrj_Vqdfc

For a more detailed recounting of what was said during the fight, check this article:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Lich_King_(ICC)#Quotes

For more general information, see these articles:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Arthas_Menethil
http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Lich_King
90 Human Rogue
According to lore, Tirion Fordring and a bunch of unnamed heros.
90 Orc Warlock
02/08/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Aliens

Now, I'm not saying it was aliens...
100 Draenei Monk
02/08/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Kurze

You're an alien.
81 Undead Warlock
02/08/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Lena

You're an alien.

So are you .....
90 Orc Warlock
02/08/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Lena

You're an alien.

Let's be aliens together, my lovely astronomical ungulate.
25 Blood Elf Paladin
It was the Alliance.
100 Human Monk
02/08/2013 08:17 PMPosted by Vyrin
It was the Alliance.

IT WAS THE FORSAKEN!

They never forgot. They never forgave. They strangled sixty penguins on the way to Icecrown.
91 Goblin Mage
Tirion Fordring and a group of heroes. Beyond that, if you're asking which faction has the official kill, no statements have been offficially made by Blizzard.

As far as you're concerned, Tirion plus you and 9 (or 24) of your companions killed Arthas.
91 Goblin Mage
02/08/2013 08:19 PMPosted by Draile
It was the Alliance.

IT WAS THE FORSAKEN!

They never forgot. They never forgave. They strangled sixty penguins on the way to Icecrown.

Actually it was the Bilgewater Goblins, through a mechanical suit that was designed to look like Tirion. The real guy unfortunately had a bad water accident on his way to Northrend and died by drowning. To compensate, goblins constructed a life like machine suit of him and set it about as a replacement.

What you saw was a machine suit replacement of Tirion, but the whole time he was in Northrend being piloted by a veteran goblin pilot with knowledge of acting like human. For him it was a huge personal sacrifice since in order to maintain character he had to turn down anything that resembled riches or glory.

It was that guy who piloted the Tirion-golem during the battle of the Lich King, using Ashbringer (yest that was THE REAL Ashbringer) to shatter Frostmourne and help set things right.

Today the Tirion-golem is no longer piloted by is an autonomous machine who does nothing more complex than sit in his office in WPL and give a few quests.
100 Night Elf Warrior
The Argent Tournament was open to both Horde and Alliance, so lore wise it would only make sense that it was both Horde and Alliance at Tirion's side in the attack, with different battles playing out up and down the spire with the gunships and the Ebonblade assisting.
100 Draenei Mage
Hogger with the frying pan in the observatory.
85 Troll Warrior
02/08/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Sorcies
According to lore, Tirion Fordring and a bunch of unnamed heros.

wrong

tirion fordring, orkus, and a bunch of unnamed heroes
82 Night Elf Monk
'Twas beauty killed the beast...
Edited by Rilifane on 2/8/2013 9:48 PM PST
100 Human Warrior
02/08/2013 08:17 PMPosted by Vyrin
It was the Alliance.

This.

The greatest heroes of the Alliance, led by King Varian Wrynn, marched upon the Frozen Throne, and drove a flag pole with the Blue and Gold colours of Stormwind through the traitor, Arthas.

His helm fallen, the powers of the Lich King and the Scourge were then taken upon by Highlord Bolvar, and thus, the Alliance.

It was then that Sylvanas Windrunner, humbled by the bravery of the Alliance heroes, returned ownership of Lordaeron forever and always to the Alliance, before being executed for her crimes.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]