Raiding Resto Shaman Gear Evaluation

I've read quite a few threads and guides around the internet, from gearing strategies to healing strategies by fight. But I feel like I'm still not performing optimally.

Current progression is 6/6 [N]MSV, and 2/6 [N] HoF. A handful of attempts on Garalon (with tomorrow being our HoF night). Nothing hugely impressive, but even so, I'd really like to excel even at our content level.

My big problem that I need help with is gemming (and to a lesser extent, possibly reforging). I've opted for a high Crit build, and it's been performing well so far. But I feel like my gem options are the last possible thing holding me back, not to mention that my gem options don't seem to line up with the gemming of the top Shamans on my server.

Don't seem to be having much in the way of mana problems, as much as I feel like I'm falling behind in hps. I am being a little conservative in my casting to help with mana efficiency however. I'm the only primary and consistant healer, the other healers tend to get rotated between Holy Paladin and/or another Resto Shaman, or occasionally a Holy Priest.

If you check Armory, I'm using mostly Spirit/Crit gems, with a few Intell/Spirit gems in red slots.

- Wondering if I should switch my gemming towards heavier Int; run pure Int in reds/prismatics plus Int/Spirits in blues.
- Or go higher Spirit (which is more in line with the better shamans on my server) and go pure Spirit in blues/Prismatics, plus Int/Spirits in Reds.
-Leave my gemming mostly alone (although I suspect this is not going to be the answer).

Also, I'm wondering if I should reduce my crit slightly in favor of a little more Mastery, through Reforging. (If Armory isn't showing me correctly, I'm at 17.22% Crit, and 55.52% Mastery.)

Appreciate any gearing (or general) advice y'all can give me.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I've gone with a high spirit and crit build as well. I'm using int/spirit in red sockets, spirit/crit in yellow sockets and pure spirit in blue and prismatic sockets.

I don't really see anything wrong with your gemming and gearing. If you feel you're having healing problems or going oom too early spell choice will probably be the culprit. Logs will help the "log readers" help you with spell selection.

As far as you feeling like you're "falling behind" resto shammies can be hurt on the meters when the other healers have absorbs and/or there isn't high damage. We are "balanced" around our mastery. So it because a matter of learn how to heal with your healing partner. Because of this it is important to have a solid and consistent healing team AND raid team.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
alright i'll bite.

02/08/2013 09:14 PMPosted by Shnappley
I've opted for a high Crit build, and it's been performing well so far.

the big advantage of a crit build isnt that its a superior throughput spec but that instead its a superior regen spec. Because our regen is balanced around the resurgence passive ability, crit has become more attractive this tier. It lets you (or should over the long haul) cast more spells on any given encounter without going OOM.

Don't seem to be having much in the way of mana problems, as much as I feel like I'm falling behind in hps. I am being a little conservative in my casting to help with mana efficiency however.

are you forced to be mana efficient? or is your raid allowing you to be mana efficient by not taking unhealable amounts of damage. This is an important question when you start to look at the 2nd part (falling behind in hps). HPS is a nice eye-catching statistic but it doesn't usually show whats really happening to the raid. What causes raid wipes? Is it players not doing mechanics correctly? Avoidable damage? Or just not enough healing throughput on the damage you should be taking? Your spec is going to change based on how you answer the above.

Generally you can't do much about failing mechanics other than practice and get better. Avoidable damage you can outgear/perform at the cost of efficiency. Base damage should be healable while still being efficient.

tl;dr

your stat weights are fine for casual raiding, if you want more leniency to use higher cost spells more frequently to save the raid from OOPS mistakes.... get more spirit. If you need more throughput but aren't ever in a mana constraint... drop more spirit and get more crit. Your mastery is fine. Your haste is fine if you are comfortable playing with that amount.

Also, I'm wondering if I should reduce my crit slightly in favor of a little more Mastery, through Reforging. (If Armory isn't showing me correctly, I'm at 17.22% Crit, and 55.52% Mastery.)

i wouldnt suggest more mastery for reg raiding. The damage in regs doesn't really make full use of our mastery, diminishing its effectiveness... you also have quite a bit already. I'm going to assume that the majority of your healing is on targets above 60% health... where crit will just become an even more attractive stat for both throughput and regen.

02/08/2013 11:36 PMPosted by Minihex
If you feel you're having healing problems or going oom too early spell choice will probably be the culprit. Logs will help the "log readers" help you with spell selection.

great advice, if you post some logs up i'll gladly snoop a bit further into areas you can improve your hps (if its necessary) and where you can be more efficient.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]