2H Healing Mace in 5.2!

100 Human Paladin
Finally! When was the last one? AQ20?

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/95858-invocation-of-the-dawn

Invocation of the Dawn
Sta, Int, Mastery, Critical Strike, Spellpower

I suppose it is a bit more of a boomkin weapon with all that crit, but still. It's great to see Blizzard branching out from the boring Mace + Shield of the last few expansions.
Edited by Coriel on 2/8/2013 11:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Hrm, I guess everyone except Priests would be able to use that and it would be quite good for Monk Fistweaving.
Edited by Battlehippy on 2/8/2013 11:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
That's pretty awesome!

02/08/2013 11:25 PMPosted by Battlehippy
Hrm, I guess everyone except Priests would be able to use that and it would be quite good for Monk Fistweaving.

I thought monks couldn't use 2 handed maces? They should've made a polearm instead. :(

Edit: Would glyph of the battle healer be good with this? lol
Edited by Venom on 2/9/2013 1:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Seems like paladins and shamans are going to want to use shields so the number of people that will actually want to use it is going to be low.

The only spec I can think of that would genuinely desire that is boomkin.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
Kind of disappointing that monks can't use it. I can only assume it's because 2H maces now mean strength as the primary stat which no monk spec uses. Considering how few specs would use this as-is, maybe with this they'll remove the restriction to give us another 2H option besides staves? ... Probably not, but here's hoping.

EDIT: Apparently there's a caster fist weapon as well. http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=94760 Honestly, I wonder if this is just a matter of the itemization not being done and some of these are placeholders. Although just as many classes could make use of that as say wands, so perhaps not.
Edited by Emerya on 2/9/2013 4:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I don't think those are placeholders. I mean, we had Wraith Strike two expacs ago and Eye of Purification in Firelands. Both would have more use nowadays with monks around.

And the two-handed caster mace is usable by 2 dps and 3 healing classes. In comparison, Loshan, Terror Incarnate is only usable by 2 dps and 2 healing classes.

It's a bit of flavor to the loot tables, although sort of moot now that you can mog between most weapon types.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
02/09/2013 04:13 AMPosted by Emerya
EDIT: Apparently there's a caster fist weapon as well. http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=94760

Ohh! I want. For my druid or something.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I don't think those are placeholders. I mean, we had Wraith Strike two expacs ago and Eye of Purification in Firelands. Both would have more use nowadays with monks around.

And the two-handed caster mace is usable by 2 dps and 3 healing classes. In comparison, Loshan, Terror Incarnate is only usable by 2 dps and 2 healing classes.

It's a bit of flavor to the loot tables, although sort of moot now that you can mog between most weapon types.

The thing is that healer aren't going to want a non-spirit weapon, and paladins and shaman are going to want to use a shield for the extra physical mitigation.

The only spec that will actually want this weapon is boomkin. Then it will go to elemental shamans who don't mind not using a shield. Druids that don't mind losing spirit or (in the case of paladin and shaman) a decent chunk of physical mitigation might decide to take it but there will likely be much better options.

I'm betting this weapon will get disenchanted a lot if it goes through as is.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
First off, the goofy weapons are not placeholders. They're real, and awesome.

Second off the physical damage mitigation from a shield is a pretty pitiful contribution compared to the weapon being a large int/sp upgrade so if it is, I'd imagine a lot of shaman and paladins will be taking it.
Reply Quote
A weapon I can't use?

/sadface
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
First off, the goofy weapons are not placeholders. They're real, and awesome.

Second off the physical damage mitigation from a shield is a pretty pitiful contribution compared to the weapon being a large int/sp upgrade so if it is, I'd imagine a lot of shaman and paladins will be taking it.

The amount of SP and INT on the 2H mace is going to be the same as the amount of SP and INT on a main hand/shield combination of the same ilvl. It might be something that paladins and shaman would take temporarily, but it's definitely not going to be BiS (BiS appears to be the fist weapon).

As far as the shield vs 2 hander argument, using a shield is about a 13% physical damage mitigation increase. That is pretty insignificant, and you have to take into account that there are two types of physical damage you will take in a raid (1) an add or boss not being picked up. In this case, you are likely to be 1 shot with or without 13% extra armor mitigation (2) raid wide physical damage effects. It's the raid wide physical damage that you would want to take into account. If they make another raid like Heart of Fear with almost all physical raid damage it's something to be concerned about, but most raid damage is spell damage.

For T14, I think the staff is actually BiS for Shaman (or at least basically tied with the mace) because
(1) There is no 509 shield (or off hand without hit on it)
(2) You can VP upgrade two slots at once with the mace, effectively getting ilvl 517 in both slots instead of an ilvl 517 main hand/ilvl 502 shield. The higher ilvl offsets the lack of Spirit itemization
(3) You won't (or at least should not) likely VP upgrade a 502 shield. The stat itemization on shields and offhands is so small, and it's a 502 item to begin with, so it would likely be your lowest priority item to upgrade, and you probably won't get to that point before 5.2 goes live.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/09/2013 08:52 PMPosted by Tiberria
The amount of SP and INT on the 2H mace is going to be the same as the amount of SP and INT on a main hand/shield combination of the same ilvl. It might be something that paladins and shaman would take temporarily, but it's definitely not going to be BiS (BiS appears to be the fist weapon).

I know that. You're not going to refuse an upgrade simply because it isn't BiS, though, and a normal mode 2h caster mace is going to be a significant upgrade for most normal mode raiders. That's what I was saying.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
02/09/2013 01:28 AMPosted by Venom
I thought monks couldn't use 2 handed maces? They should've made a polearm instead. :(

you'd be correct.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/09/2013 04:13 AMPosted by Emerya
EDIT: Apparently there's a caster fist weapon as well. http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=94760

oooooooooooooooooo cool!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=94760

that's gonna be amazing!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The 2H Mace just seems kind of stupid to me, since 2h are inherently lower itemized than MH/OH *still*.

As a Priest, I'm pretty excited about there being a Fist Weapon for our Druid/Shaman to take. Less competition for my spirit dagger. :3
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
Forget the mace, dat fist wep
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I dunno if the mace will be DE'd. Assuming no Boomies/Ele Shaman in the raid it'll probably go to every Fury Warrior out there for transmog. And the fist weapon makes me wish Pallies could use them. /sadface
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
And Druids get to enjoy them all!

:P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/10/2013 08:55 AMPosted by Qùess
The 2H Mace just seems kind of stupid to me, since 2h are inherently lower itemized than MH/OH *still*.

Are you sure about this? I know one of the many reasons why DKs dont dual wield is because there are more stats on a 2 hander than 2 1h weapons. Is it just the OH enchant that throws it the other way since with DKs the enchant power would be exactly the same?

Though seeing as there is a 1h mace and a shield that both have spirit mastery on it, its doubtful that many people would switch to this.
Edited by Viena on 2/10/2013 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]