Holy DPS (beating a dead horse?)

81 Human Priest
I Just recently came back to the game in January after a long break, And i used to play my priest as my main Pre-BC to Wotlk. and one thing i have always hated is Shadow spec (that's just my opinion, i know a lot of people love it) i have always felt that there should be a "Light" alternative to Shadow for DPS, maybe with different approach to DPS. I know with the change to the new talent system Druids had Feral split into 2 sepcs DPS and Tank, i think it would work for priest holy spec as well separating the holy damage from the holy healing for those of us who don't want to look like a grape juice stain on the screen. if my end game goal was to play as a Shadow priest, i would just as soon make a Warlock. for me the idea of a Inquisitor/Confessor type class always appealed to me and as the game progressed you either became a holy healer (or disc) or a demonic DPS. At the very least if blizzard has no intention of making this change, could we at least get a glyph to take away the purple haze of the Shadow form.

I know this topic has been covered multiple times on the forums and elsewhere, im hoping with enough priests wanting a Holy (light) DPS spec that maybe blizzard might listen.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I would be okay with a Holy DPS spec that is competitive as long as it has similar penalties as shadow on healing and mana regeneration, has to hit cap properly like shadow, etc.

The way I would do this is to rework Chakra: Chastise into a Glyph that when you equip it will remove your ability to access certain Holy actives (Heal, Greater Heal, Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing, Divine Hymn, Chakra: Serenity, Chakra: Sanctuary, Guardian Spirit) and passives (Meditation, Serendipity, Rapid Renewal and the new 5.2 passive) give you a new mastery (direct damage spells put a dot on the targets) and a new evangelism / archangel combo (similar to the dark evangelism / dark archangel abilities in Cata), I would rework Lightwell as a primary mana return mechanic for the spec and have Spirit of Redemption become a Retribution where the priest can attack and move but can't heal, the spirit = hit passive that spriests have I would make priestwide and remove divine fury entirely in this scenario as well as of course bringing back Holy Nova.

As I see it, the Holy DPS spec would be pretty boring rotation, Holy Fire / Power Word: Solace, Smite and Holy Word: Chastise with Shadow Word: Pain and Shadow Word: Death during execute, with Holy Nova playing a key role as AE damage.
Edited by Taheraliel on 2/9/2013 6:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Holy is already more or less viable DPS for a lot of PVE content. You could definitely get away with it in 5 mans, LFR, and a lot of normal raiding. I know it's not exactly what this thread is about, but I just thought I'd let you know. Note that Shadow is still better, but the difference on all but fights with many, many targets is comparable to the difference between different specs of a pure.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/09/2013 06:02 AMPosted by Taheraliel
As I see it, the Holy DPS spec would be pretty boring rotation, Holy Fire / Power Word: Solace, Smite and Holy Word: Chastise with Shadow Word: Pain and Shadow Word: Death during execute, with Holy Nova playing a key role as AE damage.

They would obviously add new offensive spells to the spec, you're pretty much saying it as if we'd be only working with baseline abilities, which no spec has to deal with.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I really wish there was a Holy dps spec. I loved leveling my priest, but stopped playing him a while ago. Along with several other characters when the MOP changes hit.

Two healing specs is just, well, boring in my opinion. Having an "Inquisitor" type dps for Priest would be pretty awesome.
Edited by Amerik on 2/10/2013 9:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/10/2013 02:29 PMPosted by Wofye

They would obviously add new offensive spells to the spec, you're pretty much saying it as if we'd be only working with baseline abilities, which no spec has to deal with.

Agreed. A new Spell line up would be in order. And get rid of the shadow spells for a Holy dps.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
02/09/2013 09:13 AMPosted by Nixxe
Holy is already more or less viable DPS for a lot of PVE content. You could definitely get away with it in 5 mans, LFR, and a lot of normal raiding. I know it's not exactly what this thread is about, but I just thought I'd let you know. Note that Shadow is still better, but the difference on all but fights with many, many targets is comparable to the difference between different specs of a pure.

Nixxe is completely right. Holy works just as well as shadow in single target fights. The dps from either is just about the same.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
holy dps is just as good as shadow even in raids it does over 100k dps
all i do is KEEP CHAKRA UP then keep swp up mindbender and power infusion on cd and depending on fight i use halo or divine star also on cd , after that i holy fire on cd and spam smite and use swd when below 20% on cd and only use chastise on the move, glyphs i use smite, holy fire and 3rd is anything you want i use lightwell auto heal glyph or reflective shield.

for aoe i still dot all adds and mindseer works good too also i find divine start works realy good on aoe with short cd make sure your close enough for it to hit twice and it keeps you healed up and helps with melee and tank on heals

for stats im using my shadow set and go for int then haste and crit and ignore mastery and hit i have not maximized my holy dps gear since im needed for spell haste buff when druid is healing so i play shadow more often but do more dmg as holy dps , i do use 1 piece of hit gear to get over the cap so swp always hits i dont think its included on the tooltip for spells that get 15% hit bonus as holy i could be wrong on this

overall i think this spec is amazing for raiding it has all the holy cds and does good dmg i was able to break 200k dps on eleagon as holy when shadow was around 150k during burst with hero and potion

also any trinkets with int procs help alot i have cloak chant, wep chant,and 2 int proc trinkets

and take mindbender its way better than the other 2 its adding 30k dps for me it lines up with procs and pi every other so it does alot of dmg and the other 2 are useless no need to flash heal you have instant coh if you want to help heal and divine hymn during heavy aoe dmg and i use lightwell glyph that auto heals and any of the last 3 talents can be used to help heal also
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I myself would be interested in seeing a light-casting dps spec. I shelved my blood elf priest because I couldn't stand the shadow spec (just didn't fit what I was going for when I made the character), but is it really true that Holy can dps well?

I imagine even if that is the case, people in pug groups would still moan and complain because you're not doing things the way they want.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
I myself would be interested in seeing a light-casting dps spec. I shelved my blood elf priest because I couldn't stand the shadow spec (just didn't fit what I was going for when I made the character), but is it really true that Holy can dps well?

I imagine even if that is the case, people in pug groups would still moan and complain because you're not doing things the way they want.

Yes holy can dps single target very well. It's literally a 3 button rotation. keep sw:p up, holy fire when its up, and just spam smite. Put everything into crit/int and watch constant 200k smite crits every 1.2 seconds. It's a lot of fun for LFR.
Reply Quote
53 Blood Elf Priest
Also throwing my hat in here as I have in several other threads.
I thought I would copy a post I made in a very old thread giving many ideas as to how a Holy DPS could function.

I'd personally call the spec "Inquisitor" or "Confessor" (after our two actual smite priests Whitemane and Paltress)

-It would of course use Smite and Holy Fire.
-Holy nova would become a base-line Aoe (with greatly reduced healing).
-The spec would be based more on Holy than discipline (for thematic reasons).
-Atonement could become a raid utility CD. (activate it and your DPS provides healing, much like the shaman's ancestral guidance).
-Our shadow dots would transform into holy equivalents at certain levels which would provide a new mechanic
-SW:P could become Holy Word: Confession (a stacking dot that does damage and occasionally resets the CD on Holy fire if at full stacks)
-SW: Death could become Holy Word: Divinity (a finisher move which floods the target's body with holy energy exorcising evil from them)
-Holy fire would become a dual-school spell combining Fire and Holy damage to combat school lockouts.
-We could also get a stun spell like Chastise so Holy priests could keep theirs. It could be called Excommunicate and it would also be dual-school holy/fire. You inflict a Holy symbol onto the target stunning them for x sec.)
-Even though it isn't changed for any of the other priest specs, we could have our sfiend changed into a holy servitor who would inflict holy damage rather than shadow.
-Existing talents wouldn't need a large amount of tweaking as they are already made with DPS in mind. (but Solace would probably need to be changed as it would be a practically required choice unless it was given a decent CD)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Constant testaments from players seem to say otherwise. But maybe I could try Holy healing again or something, until Blizzard wipes their eyes and adds a dps spec for priests that focuses more on light. Honestly, that's really all I ever thought that priests were and was disappointed a long time ago when I had to use shadow magic instead.

Heck, as a newb I even tried using disc and holy to dps and off-heal, but you can imagine the remarks I got for that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/13/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Ipsilus
But maybe I could try Holy healing again or something, until Blizzard wipes their eyes and adds a dps spec for priests that focuses more on light.

Stick with your pally; as for me I like my shadowform and my facemelting powers /maniacal laugh.
Reply Quote
23 Human Priest
Also throwing my hat in here as I have in several other threads.
I thought I would copy a post I made in a very old thread giving many ideas as to how a Holy DPS could function.

I'd personally call the spec "Inquisitor" or "Confessor" (after our two actual smite priests Whitemane and Paltress)

-It would of course use Smite and Holy Fire.
-Holy nova would become a base-line Aoe (with greatly reduced healing).
-The spec would be based more on Holy than discipline (for thematic reasons).
-Atonement could become a raid utility CD. (activate it and your DPS provides healing, much like the shaman's ancestral guidance).
-Our shadow dots would transform into holy equivalents at certain levels which would provide a new mechanic
-SW:P could become Holy Word: Confession (a stacking dot that does damage and occasionally resets the CD on Holy fire if at full stacks)
-SW: Death could become Holy Word: Divinity (a finisher move which floods the target's body with holy energy exorcising evil from them)
-Holy fire would become a dual-school spell combining Fire and Holy damage to combat school lockouts.
-We could also get a stun spell like Chastise so Holy priests could keep theirs. It could be called Excommunicate and it would also be dual-school holy/fire. You inflict a Holy symbol onto the target stunning them for x sec.)
-Even though it isn't changed for any of the other priest specs, we could have our sfiend changed into a holy servitor who would inflict holy damage rather than shadow.
-Existing talents wouldn't need a large amount of tweaking as they are already made with DPS in mind. (but Solace would probably need to be changed as it would be a practically required choice unless it was given a decent CD)

Those are actually pretty good ideas, IMHO.
(Oh this is Dakiras from above, on my newest Priest)

As for what others have said about Holy, and from what I've read in the patch notes, I now have some hope of an "Inquisitor" type DPS. Thank you!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I like the idea of making a Holy DPS spec (a fourth specialization) although I would propose it not be a Inquisitor but an Exquisitor (researcher), and thus it would be themed around scholastic endeavours and processes. Names like Crucible of Light, Distillation of Truth, Edification, Vicissitudes of Fate, Augur of Righteousness, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
A month ago i tried holy dps and pulled respectable numbers while still a bit new at it.. ~140k throughout HoF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK5I9ROuso8
I went oom near the end cuz i was stupid.

Stack haste>crit> as little mastery as you can get.
A try to keep spirit gear for mana regen as you'll oom often.

Things I haven't tried yet would be pick up Solace instead of mindbender and solace whenever holy fire debuff isn't up for mana regen.

What I found now is don't use Halo unless there are 2+ targets. Multi dotting is fine.
Reply Quote
53 Blood Elf Priest
It's good to see some video to show it in action, Azn. Thank you.

I've definitely been looking over the 90 talents and found Divine Star to be the most compatible rotation addition. It has the lowest CD, best healing utility (due to the low CD), and most consistent damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/09/2013 06:02 AMPosted by Taheraliel
I would be okay with a Holy DPS spec that is competitive as long as it has similar penalties as shadow on healing and mana regeneration, has to hit cap properly like shadow, etc.
you do realize that Shadow has better mana regeneration than any of the healing specs right?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Druids getting a 4th spec was a straight-up nerf. It was not beneficial to them in any way and should not be wished upon other classes.

Holy dps is an interesting anomaly, and as long as it doesn't get scale out of control it may stick around for a while as an option, that's good enough. It's got some strong positives and strong negatives, kind of like warlock tanking with Dark Apotheosis.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]