Monk healing Vs shaman healing

100 Blood Elf Monk
Okay, my main healing toon is a shaman, so I was wondering, what's the monk equivalent of Ripttide, Healing Wave, Greater Healing Wave, and healing rain? At the moment, monk healing feels virtually useless in comparison!
Edited by Sinthndria on 2/9/2013 6:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/09/2013 06:03 AMPosted by Sinthndria
what's the monk equivalent of Ripttide

Renewing Mist

Healing Wave

Soothing Mist, or keeping melee buffs up and autoattacking

Greater Healing Wave

Enveloping Mist

healing rain

There isn't one exactly, but the same general purpose is achieved with a good RM blanket + Uplift.
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 06:16 AMPosted by Kaels
what's the monk equivalent of Ripttide

Renewing Mist

Healing Wave

Soothing Mist, or keeping melee buffs up and autoattacking

Greater Healing Wave

Enveloping Mist

healing rain

There isn't one exactly, but the same general purpose is achieved with a good RM blanket + Uplift.

I would say that SCK is similar to Healing Rain. It's a fairly short range expensive AoE heal.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
What is SCK? And what would you say is the equivalent of chain heal?

But thanks for these replies, I am going to fix up my healing bar when servers come back up :3
Edited by Sinthndria on 2/9/2013 7:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Honestly most those spells are not "equivalent" as mechanics are different between the 2 classes spells.

Soothing mist or fistweaving is our main low damage healing spell
Surging mist is our expensive big heal
Enveloping mist is our medium heal/HoT
Renewing mist + uplift is our aoe
Spinning crane kick is an aoe we have, though not used often.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
this conversation is like comparing apples and elbows..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/09/2013 07:22 AMPosted by Ashkongfu
Honestly most those spells are not "equivalent" as mechanics are different between the 2 classes spells.
Reply Quote
What is SCK? And what would you say is the equivalent of chain heal?

But thanks for these replies, I am going to fix up my healing bar when servers come back up :3

Spinning Crane Kick. For Mistweavers, it also heals in addition to doing AoE damage.

But like the others have said, different healing classes don't always have analogs for their healing spells.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Sure they are. They're used in mostly the same situations to mostly the same effect, and you wouldn't go horrendously wrong in easy content if you keybound them in the same places and used them at mostly the same times while you learned the spec.

02/09/2013 06:26 AMPosted by Flintte
I would say that SCK is similar to Healing Rain. It's a fairly short range expensive AoE heal.

I really don't think so. HR is used almost on CD; it's shamans' most efficient raid heal, extremely powerful, and has a CD. SCK is a not-terribly-strong no-cooldown AoE that's rarely used. The fact that they both require stacking is irrelevant; HW: Sanctuary also requires stacking (and is a ground-targeted HoT too!) but is in absolutely no way comparable to HR in actual use.

I really think RM+Uplift is a better comparison: multi-target HoT effect that won't hit everyone but can be placed to hit a good chunk of the raid, should be maintained more-or-less rotationally, extremely efficient and powerful but generates a ton of overheal. Sounds like HR to me.

(If I had to compare SCK to something in the shaman kit, I'd go with Chain Heal, but it's not as good as Chain Heal.)
Edited by Kaels on 2/9/2013 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Okay, so to increase maximum healing output in a raid, I really need to be spamming RM-Uplift the whole the time? Thanks for the advice guys
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
RM + Uplift, Jabbing for Chi, and the level 30 talent will give you the highest HPS, however, it will also give you a TON of Over-healing, so don't go spamming them mindlessly unless you have Mana to burn and a RL/GL that doesn't care that much about your Over-heals.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
If your RL cares about your overheals, it's time to find a new RL.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
02/09/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Kaels

pretty much this. overhealing only matters if you're going oom.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/09/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Kaels

If a boss dies the RL won't care.

However, if people die because lack of healing, because you are oom, because your Overheal is ridiculously high. He has all rights to be upset on that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
02/09/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Safiyr
RM + Uplift, Jabbing for Chi, and the level 30 talent will give you the highest HPS, however, it will also give you a TON of Over-healing, so don't go spamming them mindlessly unless you have Mana to burn and a RL/GL that doesn't care that much about your Over-heals.

Yes, that's my problem, when I go spamming RM and Uplift, it seems to work in terms of keeping people up, but exhausts a lot of mana, I can make mana tea and stuff, but I can't recharge very fast.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/09/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Kaels
The fact that they both require stacking is irrelevant; HW: Sanctuary also requires stacking (and is a ground-targeted HoT too!) but is in absolutely no way comparable to HR in actual use.

Well yeah but that's just because it's not as good now. If someone asked you what the Holy Priest equivalent of Healing Rain is, you'd hopefully tell them Sanctuary and then explain why you don't cast it on CD.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
ReM is the only mana hog in the Uplift/ReM combo and it is a spell you mostly have to use on cooldown anyway. Hard not to use ReM on cooldown as it takes to long to spread if you let it drop off. If you can't hit ReM on cooldown probably need more regen in terms of spirit or crit. In 10 man raiding I feel like I need to have about 10k spirit to heal. I know some top end Monks heal with much less but not entirely sure how they do it with 7k spirit. Lot more crit and white damage healing I guess.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/10/2013 11:27 AMPosted by Mahourai
The fact that they both require stacking is irrelevant; HW: Sanctuary also requires stacking (and is a ground-targeted HoT too!) but is in absolutely no way comparable to HR in actual use.

Well yeah but that's just because it's not as good now. If someone asked you what the Holy Priest equivalent of Healing Rain is, you'd hopefully tell them Sanctuary and then explain why you don't cast it on CD.

Nope, I'd tell them there isn't one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/10/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Glaurfu
ReM is the only mana hog in the Uplift/ReM combo and it is a spell you mostly have to use on cooldown anyway. Hard not to use ReM on cooldown as it takes to long to spread if you let it drop off. If you can't hit ReM on cooldown probably need more regen in terms of spirit or crit. In 10 man raiding I feel like I need to have about 10k spirit to heal. I know some top end Monks heal with much less but not entirely sure how they do it with 7k spirit. Lot more crit and white damage healing I guess.

Magic and witchcraft. and maybe a shammy totem as well (running with 5.3k spirit here)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I didn't really read all the post so if I repeat sorry
Classes are different totally different mechanics to give choices but i do the same fin d similarities between spells when setting up action bars

Riptide-renewing mist
Chain heal-renewing mist, thunder focus tea and uplift
Healing wave - soothing mist
Surging mist - healing surge
Healing rain - sck (spinning crane kick)

Sck is much more useless in comparison though
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]