Blizzard, why should I keep playing my Rogue?

90 Troll Rogue
I have played this Rogue since vanilla. I played through many ups and downs. Over the course of time, my Rogue felt less and less unique or useful. You smoothed the burst. You leveled the dps to match hybrids. You eliminated fun perks like picking locked chests or doors. More recently, you announced your plan to homogenize the three Rogue specs.

This tier I felt far from needed. I watched in bitter awe as just about every other class out bursted me by a significant margin. The most frustrating was affliction locks, a supposed DoT class, peaking well over 200k dps with burst. "Rogues have a lot of auto attack damage" was said. Well, okay, I'll make up for it later, even though it seems like a stealthy assassin class should have more burst than most classes.

And yet, I wouldn't make up for it. I felt like a liability. This fight is range friendly. This fight, too. Oh, you're working on heroic elite protectors? Sorry, but the third phase it's imperative to stack with the range group to healing you is remotely feasible.

In Cataclysm, at least, my Rogue still brought excellent dps that was competitive with the best classes. Rogues had a few unique roles on fights, such as evasion tanking on Deathwing tentacles, or sub spec bursting on spine, which was exciting. While it was frustrating to receive a welfare legendary AFTER content was complete, at least you eventually gave melee an added buff to make up for the difference for the liability that melee was.

In MoP, the last enjoyable part of raiding as a Rogue was respeccing to the encounter. "Garalon is up next." Great, I get to respec combat to optimize myself for this fight! You said you didn't want to make combat "mandatory" for double target cleave fights. That mandatory-ness was actually OK with me - it made it fun to do something different. Now, it's apparent that the final niche of Rogues is being eliminated with the blade flurry nerf.

I ask you, why should I play a Rogue? Rogues are the only melee class with only one role. You need to give us much more utility to make up for this narrow position. Yes, I know you are giving us a small raid cooldown with smoke bomb, but it needs to be broader.

Why should I play a rogue, if I can get the same gear on a monk or druid, but be able to bring two different roles to the raid with this one set of gear? The same goes for countless hybrid specs, some of which use the same gear (which is huge in a 10-man heroic guild where RNG can really hurt dual specs with differing gear).

Why should I play my rogue, if every range class out bursts me during burn phases? Why should I play my rogue if every other melee class has alternate roles available? Why should I play my rogue if I have weak raid cooldowns? Why should I play my rogue if every rogue spec is the same?

While I do believe straight dps classes should be slightly above hybrids, I am not asking for just a buff. I want more utility. I want niches where certain rogue specs excel. I want to have fun again.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I totally agree, Jink. I've played this toon as my only main since Vanilla and can relate to everything you described. My rogue simply isn't as much fun to play as he used to be, so I have found myself logging on less and less this year, until I recently decided to cancel my subscription.

I'll be back, eventually. But for now there are other ways for me to get my old-school rogue fix that I'll have a lot more fun with until I see some changes to the class, or game as a whole, that bring me back.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
agreed, OP. have played rogues since vanilla, have a 90 undead, 89 worgen, and 87 goblin.

the specs feel the same :-/ and burst isn't what it used to be, especially compared to other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Sadly my rogue, who was my main in Cata, has become my "I'm bored" toon. I certainly wouldn't ever think of bringing her to our raids. She has absolutely nothing to offer that someone else can't do better. I'm hoping that maybe she'll get a little better once I get a second dagger (any dagger at all, not just Spiritsever), but honestly, my hopes aren't that high.

I've no idea how rogues are faring in pvp this expac, since I've never really played much pvp, but for pve... holy hell... we just don't have anything to bring to the table.
Reply Quote
11 Draenei Paladin
02/10/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Keldonite
just saying you should have posted this in the rogue forums :)

General is the only forum that gets any traffic.

I have to agree with the OP the only thing I use my rogue for anymore is mining and herbing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I fully agree. I first played rogue when I came to wow. Moved realm and levelled another ( this one) .

He used to be my main but now he is my " aright I'll spend 8 hours farming croc or crab meat for raid food" toon and my healing sham is my main.

Blizzard is catering to the whining and crying player base. Personally I think that is now the new hidden feature of the game. Help QQ till other specs are nerfed into the ground leaving yours at the top. That right there is the new game I reckon, and unfortunately for rogues these cry babies are simply too good at it.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Rogue
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't lie about playing in vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
/Signed
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
02/10/2013 01:21 AMPosted by Avacynn
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't lie about playing in vanilla.

I started at the very beginning of Cata, if that makes you feel any better...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/10/2013 01:21 AMPosted by Avacynn

So far everyone I've read in this thread that said they've played during Vanilla have FoS showing they were. Don't even know why you posted this.

As for the OP, I don't have a cap level rogue at the moment, so can't comment on your points about game play.

However, more often than not when there is call outs for a PuG to be started out its generally specifically directed at ranged DPS. At least when its come to PvE content. PvP still seems to be pretty much anything goes if you have the resilience and PvP power to back yourself up with.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Play your rogue because you enjoy playing the class. If you only enjoy winning, then move to FotM. But if you do switch, remember you abandoned your rogue once it's FotM again.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
GO ON STRIKE!

NO OPENED LOCKBOXES ANYMOOOOORE!

O wait, a BS & engineer can do that anyway.

well.

/Unsub
Edited by Balmoore on 2/10/2013 4:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Pandaren Monk
I'm kinda hoping for a great Rogue strike, so I'm less likely to get ganked by Rogues in 5.2. :3
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
02/10/2013 04:31 AMPosted by Chiquis
I'm kinda hoping for a great Rogue strike, so I'm less likely to get ganked by Rogues in 5.2. :3

You do realize of course that this is about Rogue PvE and has nothing to do with PvP?

This tier I felt far from needed. I watched in bitter awe as just about every other class out bursted me by a significant margin. The most frustrating was affliction locks, a supposed DoT class, peaking well over 200k dps with burst. "Rogues have a lot of auto attack damage" was said. Well, okay, I'll make up for it later, even though it seems like a stealthy assassin class should have more burst than most classes.

The whole passive damage issue was brought up by several people during Beta and Blizzard's response was that Rogues were the most balanced class. Seriously, having 60-70% of my damage from purely passive sources is ridiculous and boring.
Reply Quote
While I agree with 90% of what you said, you contradicted yourself here (and it's a huge pet peeve of mine, for all classes, not just rogues)

02/09/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Jinkad
More recently, you announced your plan to homogenize the three Rogue specs.

02/09/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Jinkad
the last enjoyable part of raiding as a Rogue was respeccing to the encounter

sounds to me like "I want all the specs to be different but have the exact same strengths and weaknesses"

You can't have both, certain specs are always going to have an advantage in certain scenarios, whether it be AoE, single-target, or the million other factors that come into play. When people complain about their class not being up to everyone else in ONE of these facets - thats when homogenization happens.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
^ That's actually one of the more stupid aspects that currently exists. No DPS class should ever be forced to respec for one fight because the other spec will SEVERELY outdps the other 1/2.

Other than that, I agree. They really need to do something to make rogues pop more.
Reply Quote
My main's a Rogue, and I agree, OP.

Bring back my Rogue flavor!

Especially Subtlety, the spec is dead boring.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
i am still of the opinion that rogues are the least fun class right now.

the class had been stagnating for a while, and with the removal of the talent trees and many spec defining perks it is just all the more obvious.

pures (sans warlocks) are in a really rough place right now. having the only difference in each spec being "how you do damage" really did not translate well. locks moved out of the fire by getting resource systems that solidified the feel and theme of each spec.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Once they're greatly OP again the numbers will pick up, right guys? -thumbs up-
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]