Choosing classes

90 Blood Elf Paladin
tl;dr- Throughout WoW history, what classes have triumphed through patches and nerfs over others while maintaining high PvP ranks.

I'm looking to re roll and really want to dedicate some time on a new PvP server. It's not about what I like playing, because I honestly love at least 1 spec in most classes. Some classes it's hard to choose what spec I want more. The exception of Shaman and Warrior, I can't seem to keep interested in them for more than a dozen levels or so. But I could just be impatient.

My mains have been a prot pally (PvE king, BG joke) and a shadow/disc priest (BG king/arena joke). But I've leveled all others as well I believe.

So, over the many WoW years, what classes and/or specs have really stood out among the rest in Arenas, BGs, Raids, dungeons, etc...

Thank you in advance for the input.
Edited by Prosaint on 2/9/2013 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Traditionally, Rogues, Mages, and Locks have been good in both large scale and small scale PvP and PvE.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Play on the PTR, premade 90s in Tyrannical gear gives you a good feel for what you might like.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/09/2013 10:52 AMPosted by Bultek
Play on the PTR

this is actually really true.

Told me that i liked prot warriors and disc preists and MW monks. now i have all at 90 on live :]

traditionally though mages, locks, rogues and to a lesser extent disc preists have always been good.

warriors have also been strong but people don't think so anymore because of the crummy s11 season for them.
Reply Quote
Melee:
Warriors or Rogues, either they are both amazing or one is incredibly OP while the other is weak.

Casters:
Mage or Warlock, same story as warrior/rogue.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Warrior is never weak or Rogue. Tell me when either class was weak and I till tell you a time when they stun lock people 100% to zero in 3 GCDs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks everyone. So to recap, in no particular order:

Warriors
Rogues
Locks
Mages
Priest

In the order I like playing them...
#1 - Mage, Priest, Lock, Rogue
#2 - Warror

I'll try the PTR.

My fear is that I'll choose something that is only good NOW. I'm tired of being a WoW bachelor and I kinda want to settle down and start a family with a new class for the long haul.
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter

Warriors
Rogues
Locks
Mages
Priest

#2 - Warror

I'll try the PTR.

My fear is that I'll choose something that is only good NOW. I'm tired of being a WoW bachelor and I kinda want to settle down and start a family with a new class for the long haul.

Historically, locks and mages have never had a bad season. This is the first time disc priests haven't been a top-2 healer, but they still have shadow, and shadow is ridiculously strong. This is only the second time rogues have been bad (S8 being the other). Warriors have only been horrible twice before. They'll be fine next patch.
Reply Quote
Warlocks mages.

Rogues generally suck at the start of expacs and same with warriors because they scale well with gear.

MoP was the exception for warrior, S9 was kind of, even though warrior got hotfixed half way through it and became mediocre.

For melee though, warriors and rogues will always have a good season or two per expac.
Reply Quote

Warriors
Rogues
Locks
Mages
Priest

#2 - Warror

I'll try the PTR.

Historically, locks and mages have never had a bad season. This is the first time disc priests haven't been a top-2 healer, but they still have shadow, and shadow is ridiculously strong. This is only the second time rogues have been bad (S8 being the other). Warriors have only been horrible twice before. They'll be fine next patch.

Rogues weren't bad in S8... Hell the last WotLK tournament I believe it was just RMP and RLS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Req
Go Mage and you won't go wrong. Good 1 vs 1, good in teams. Always needed for Arena and RBG. At least one of the Mage specs will always be top tier.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I love my shadow priest and can do amazing damage, critting 130k or more. But I've seen a lot of the notes with the recent patch and am worried the mind spike changes are going to drastically reduce the amount of procs I receive. Everything in my personal arsenal is mainly based on Mind Spike Procs. Other reason I can't really play shadow, most people (from what I've seen) don't see a well geared spriest viable in arenas. So long term, I don't think this will be fun for me begging in trade to do 2s with a priest who doesn't want to heal. If I have an affair though, it will be with a spriest.

Downloading PTR now but I will prob go with Mage or Lock.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/09/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Stormkill
Go Mage and you won't go wrong. Good 1 vs 1, good in teams. Always needed for Arena and RBG. At least one of the Mage specs will always be top tier.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
1.) Go mage.

2.) Spec fire.

3.) Find a Shadow Priest.

4.) Get 2200 RBGs --> T2.

5.) Play 2s with Shadow Priest.

6.) Stomp every healer/dps team you see.

7.) Every warr/rsham team stops queuing.

8.) The rest of us start queuing again, too.

9.) ???

10.) Become a legend.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Mage OP since 2004
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]