So, 'bout those Blood Death Knights

90 Human Death Knight
Just how 'nightmare fuel' are their spells? I mean, by the descriptions they have, it seems like watching a blood death knight fight would be incredibly demoralizing not only to the enemies, but also their allies. I mean, with Death Strike I imagine the death knight dies something similar to absorbing the blood/life essence.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Most Death Knight spells are pretty horrifying. Exploding corpses, boiling blood, summoning death insects, raising the dead...
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Of course. I just always found it strange how people watch Death Knights fight, and don't bat an eye. (This of course excludes Death Knights.)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I imagine fighting alongside a death knight is pretty unsettling, but especially for veterans of the Northrend wars I think most adventurers are pretty used to being around necromantic magic by now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For grizzled veterans, especially those from Vanilla Wow, they probably had seen worse than that but they were used to fighting people with those abilities so it'd take some adjustment but nothing that'd scare them beyond a reflex.

For those that are just adventuring out or didn't see the real "wonders" of Northrend during that time, High Octane Nightmare Fuel would probably be the correct term for it.
Reply Quote
"As disciples of blood, you strive to master the very lifeforce of your enemies.

"As masters of blood, we are masters of life and death itself. Against us, even hope falls drained and lifeless.

"As masters of blood, we know battle without end...

"Be it by blade or incantation, blood feeds our attacks and weakens our foes.

"Stripping energy from our foes, both fighting and fallen, allows us to persevere where lesser beings fall exhausted.

"True masters learn to make blood serve more than just their strength in battle.

"We know hunger never to be quenched...

"We know power never to be overcome...

"And every foe that falls, energy sapped and stolen, only further fuels our assault."
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
The way I thought of it, each spec offers a different sort of horror.

Blood - I imagine blood Death Knights moving faster than the other two, basically racing across the battlefield and attacking with two swords, slicing throats and severing main arteries, drenched in the gore of their foes and going to the extreme of pausing before frightened soldiers to lick their blades clean before continuing the slaughter.

Unholy - Just the sort of vomit in your mouth fear. That they'd be rotting as they walk, their tread withering the ground, spewing pestilence from their mouths with bloated corpse flies and other carrion insects clinging to their flesh which is deformed by pustules, boils buboes, and plague.

Frost - By far I can see this being the most dreaded of them. A warrior slowly trudging across the battlefield, weathering blows that would even stop its coutnerparts and shrugging each off. Killing without emotion, no fury - no manic glee, just emotionless and mechanical death. They'd sort of be that inevitable fear, that fear that you just feel you cannot do a single thing about.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/14/2013 10:31 PMPosted by Maoseitun
Blood - I imagine blood Death Knights moving faster than the other two, basically racing across the battlefield and attacking with two swords, slicing throats and severing main arteries, drenched in the gore of their foes and going to the extreme of pausing before frightened soldiers to lick their blades clean before continuing the slaughter.

02/14/2013 10:31 PMPosted by Maoseitun
Frost - By far I can see this being the most dreaded of them. A warrior slowly trudging across the battlefield, weathering blows that would even stop its coutnerparts and shrugging each off. Killing without emotion, no fury - no manic glee, just emotionless and mechanical death. They'd sort of be that inevitable fear, that fear that you just feel you cannot do a single thing about.

These two for sure have major fear factor.

Blood Death Knights feed off the blood they spill in battle. They are pretty much the meaning of the word 'Bloodthristy'.

It heals them, it strengthens them. Wounds won't do much because they can easily take your own blood to heal them. They are death machines.

Frost Death knights being a slow moveing terror, any warrior that dares fight them have the chance of being frozen to a popsicle. They don't even have to raise their blade all to often, just parry and then freeze, it's simple as that. So much as a glance and a point can mean either the end or your coming close to it. They are practically unstoppable.
Reply Quote
I had a few questions myself about Death Knights RP, guess I'll ask them here and save from an additional topic!

For horde aligned death knights who were not forsaken before dying and becoming a death knight, would it be common for them to pledge their loyalty to Sylvanis rather then returning back to Silvermoon or Thunderbluff? I would imagine they would feel more at ease in Undercity with the forsaken rather then getting cold nervous glances from non-death knights of the race you are /used to be.

Lore-wise are death knights really that common of a sight? How did people REALLY feel about them when Thrall / King Varien said "kay guys now if you can treat them nicely and get along, that would be swell". How has it changed into current MoP times?

Lore-wise can Draenie death knights cast gift of the naruu? pretty sure becoming an undead would have cut them off from the light..

Were all 2nd gen death knights slain by The Lich King in life? As in had to die via Frostmourne.

Can Death Knights be healed by holy magic (priest / paladins), what about nature magic? Mist?

What kind of emotions fan a death knight still feel? Pain, pleasure, happiness, sorrow, pride, compassion, love, hate?

What is the REAL difference between 1st gen forsaken and a death knight? Yes I know one is a class, one is a race, death knights can be alliance , and death knights are an 'upgrade' to the run of the mill undead, I'm guessing Arthas got better at making them or something?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer any these!
Edited by Reiketsu on 2/15/2013 12:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I had a few questions myself about Death Knights RP, guess I'll ask them here and save from an additional topic!

For horde aligned death knights who were not forsaken before dying and becoming a death knight, would it be common for them to pledge their loyalty to Sylvanis rather then returning back to Silvermoon or Thunderbluff? I would imagine they would feel more at ease in Undercity with the forsaken rather then getting cold nervous glances from non-death knights of the race you are /used to be.

Lore-wise are death knights really that common of a sight? How did people REALLY feel about them when Thrall / King Varien said "kay guys now if you can treat them nicely and get along, that would be swell". How has it changed into current MoP times?

I expect it could go either way at first, but that most would trend steadily towards Undercity for the reasons you mentioned.

Death Knights aren't UNCOMMON, but I wouldn't say they were overly common, either. People still generally loathed them, but I expect now they're seen as, if not liked, then tolerated and people're used to them.

Lore-wise can Draenie death knights cast gift of the naruu? pretty sure becoming an undead would have cut them off from the light..

Yes, if they truly think they still can. Zeliek is an example.

Were all 2nd gen death knights slain by The Lich King in life? As in had to die via Frostmourne.

No. Second gen death knights were given runeblades and their bodies never actually died, though their souls were siphoned out.

Can Death Knights be healed by holy magic (priest / paladins), what about nature magic? Mist?

Yes. It's repairing the body, though the Light does cause extreme pain as it damages the porous barrier between soul and flesh.

What kind of emotions fan a death knight still feel? Pain, pleasure, happiness, sorrow, pride, compassion, love, hate?

They can feel all emotions that the living can.

What is the REAL difference between 1st gen forsaken and a death knight? Yes I know one is a class, one is a race, death knights can be alliance , and death knights are an 'upgrade' to the run of the mill undead, I'm guessing Arthas got better at making them or something?

First gen Death Knights were human corpses infested by orc souls that were housed in soulstones attached to huge truncheons that were in turn used as weapons. Third gen Death Knights are similar to Forsaken, but granted more power and generally less decayed as they were hand-picked.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer any these!

No problem.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply!

02/15/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Trenk
No. Second gen death knights were given runeblades and their bodies never actually died, though their souls were siphoned out.

Guess I meant 3rd gen (the playable ones), I knew 1st gen death knights where the ones created by gul'dan, such as Gorefiend, so guess I'll rephrase that to "Were all 3rd gen death knights slain by Arthas"

02/15/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Trenk
First gen Death Knights were human corpses infested by orc souls that were housed in soulstones attached to huge truncheons that were in turn used as weapons. Third gen Death Knights are similar to Forsaken, but granted more power and generally less decayed as they were hand-picked.

Was asking about first gen forsaken not death knights, as first gen forsaken were raised by Arthas / the Scourge in the same way death knights are, second gen forsaken on the other hand were raised by sylvanas via the Valk'yre.

Thanks again for the fast reply :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/15/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Reiketsu

For both of these, I will say this.

Generally, as far as I know/was told, Death knights are 'tolerated' not 'liked'. Sure, you might have those who wouldn't mind them because they might have known them before they died and so on and so forth. Then you got those who will give nervous/uneasy glances. Then you got DK haters who just don't like them, but tolerate them....just

Regardless, I wouldn't see Horde DK's hanging around in Undercity. They'd probably rummage about, doing their own thing. I wouldn't see much change from then since Wrath to now.

Probably, like Trenk said.

See above

Priest and Paladin healing magic is like the feeling you get when someone sticks a red hot poker in your exposed wound. It will hurt. A lot. While healing, it can still hurt. You can say you're torturing them while helping them at the same time, which is kind of amusing now that I think about it. Mostly I think it's not only about the barrior between soul and flesh, it's more the necrotic magic that keeps their bodies, in a sense, functioning enough that they can move around and just murder everything that's and enemy.

Druidic magic is regrowth of stuff. Nature healing magic will repair their wounds with out any nasty side effects.

Mist healing, as you so call it (I'm guessing you're referring to monks) is a mix of chi, herbs and tea I think? So that won't do much damage to them either.

Pain? No. Happiness? Well I guess if their sadditic, yes, but other wise not really. Pleasure? Not the 'get with another woman/man and do the dance with no pants' kind of deal, but I think it'd be pretty reasonable that they took pleasure from causing pain to their enemies. More or less, they need to feed some sort of craving to kill and cause pain. Sorrow, I would say yes to this, seeing as some Death Knights do not like what they've become, nor do they like the actions they've committed. Pride, not to sure, though I've never seen a Prideful Death Knight, so it's probably a no. Love, certainly not. Unless they had a lover before Death who still accepts them, other than that it's a useless emotion to them. Hate...that's pretty obvious with Death Knights.

Death Knights are emotionless killers. They don't feel pain, they don't need to eat nor drink, they don't breath. They are essentially walking death machines who care nothing but destroying the enemy. They serve the Horde and Alliance because that's the only thing outside the Ebon Blade they can really do. They are weapons of war, that's how they've always been.

More below.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

What Trenk said.

And that's that.

Guess I meant 3rd gen (the playable ones), I knew 1st gen death knights where the ones created by gul'dan, such as Gorefiend, so guess I'll rephrase that to "Were all 3rd gen death knights slain by Arthas"

If you looked at the starting zone for Death Knights you could see Necromancers raising dead corpses and turning them into Death Knights with the Instructor observing. It could be possible that a large majority of heros where not only raised by Arthas, but them as well. However, seeing as this is the RP world, it's safe to say that you were probably raised by necromancers, for people might flip if you said Arthas. : /

Was asking about first gen forsaken not death knights, as first gen forsaken were raised by Arthas / the Scourge in the same way death knights are, second gen forsaken on the other hand were raised by sylvanas via the Valk'yre.

Then, if that's the case. Yes, one of them is a race, and another is a class. Pretty much, besides the fact that they broke away from Arthas' control with Sylvanas...so I believe.
Edited by Liå on 2/15/2013 1:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply! Pretty much covers a lot of it, except

02/15/2013 01:12 AMPosted by Liå
it can still hurt. You can say you're torturing them while

02/15/2013 01:12 AMPosted by Liå
Death Knights are emotionless killers. They don't feel pain,

/confused

Getting A lot closer to filling in a good story for a DK RP, trying to avoid being a "special snowflake" as some would call it and not have been present during Light Hope, and was freed from Arthas' control upon his death, then going over to the forsaken with the valk'yre and having sylvanas / the forsaken vouch for me to join the horde...while it does sound believable to me, I doubt most people would role with that...
Edited by Reiketsu on 2/15/2013 1:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/15/2013 01:28 AMPosted by Reiketsu
/confused

Like I said, Light is like their kryptonite.

They can't feel plain unless it comes from a sources that uses Light magic. Seeing as Necromancy and all that jazz was used to bring them back to life in the first place.

If i were to stab one, they would be like "Welp...that was suppose to do what now?"

If I was a Priest and heal them: "OH GAWD IT BURNS! SHTAP!"

If that makes sense/helps with the confusion.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/15/2013 01:28 AMPosted by Reiketsu
Getting A lot closer to filling in a good story for a DK RP, trying to avoid being a "special snowflake" as some would call it and not have been present during Light Hope, and was freed from Arthas' control upon his death, then going over to the forsaken with the valk'yre and having sylvanas / the forsaken vouch for me to join the horde...while it does sound believable to me, I doubt most people would role with that...

You could either...

A: Say that you died defending Silvermoon and was raised as a DK then (Not sure how legit that would be, however)

Or, B: Be a dark ranger, however I see that role more fitted to rogues...*shrug*

Other than that, the story you present would mean that she would have been freed from Arthas during the battle at Icecrown Citadel. Depending if the Ebon Blade had already killed you, of course. I'm not really sure how well that would work out.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 01:39 AMPosted by Liå
A: Say that you died defending Silvermoon and was raised as a DK then (Not sure how legit that would be, however)

Kinda like that one, dark ranger idea though..eh, not unless I could wield a bow, still iffy on RPing a non playable class...Main I am thinking of my character being scorge until the fall of arthis, is because I would be making a new DK on an RP realm, so I want to play her as though she was a fresh recruit to the horde, and since the events of WoTLK are well passed, trying to think of a feasible way that a new DK entering the Horde, and that seems to be the best approach.

That still gives a huge gap of time of what I was doing from Arthas' death til arriving in undercity, I could go with I spent time in wondering Northrend killing any undead that still considered themselves scourge since I missed out on killing Arthas, then I started tagging along with one the forsaken clean up crews up there.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Koltira was being tortured and mentioned having internal bleeding in the initial DK quests. I believe they do feel pain.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 01:50 AMPosted by Trenk
Koltira was being tortured and mentioned having internal bleeding in the initial DK quests. I believe they do feel pain.

Forgot about that! now that I think about it Lillian Voss does say something about "It burns! My soul, it burns!" though she is not a death knight...even though she has blue eyes...and uses gorefiend's grasp...and has runeblades...still a cannon reference to undead feeling pain

Anyways, is what I come up with so far believable for a new dk on an RP realm and not being a "special snowflake" type backstory? the new forsaken starter quest does support the idea that they recruit ex-scourge that were freed after the fall of Arthas
Edited by Reiketsu on 2/15/2013 2:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/15/2013 01:50 AMPosted by Trenk

You seem to forget that the Scarlet Crusade was probably using Light users to torture him...seeing as that's what you kill when you're protecting him. Internal bleeding, not sure what that was about though. Either way, there is no chance that you can stab them with a knife and expect them to scream in agony.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]