Is they Greymane line finished?

90 Human Paladin
One thing that has always bothered me since Cataclysm is that since Genn Greymane's heir, Liam Greymane was killed in the battle for Gilneas, would the Greymane line of rulers end with Genn? Both the current king and his wife, Mia, are over 70, far to old to produce another heir, and their daughter, Tess, would have to marry off to another family, thereby passing the crown to another line. So who do you think would be the new King after Genn passes away?
Edited by Dravic on 2/9/2013 7:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
There's still Tess Greymane, like you said. However, her merits as a proper leader for Gilneas during a time of war are about as high as Baine's.

Genn Greymane is getting pretty ancient. I am seriously worried about what direction Blizzard might take with Gilneas's leadership once he kicks the bucket.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
Wouldn't be surprised if Tess ended up marrying Anduin, or if Genn continued on forever because worgen.

Anyway, I think it'd be cool if she ended up marrying Darius. If not for the fist-cleaver, Gilneas would be in the hands of zombies. Genn just pissed off to Darnassus, effectively giving up his country.
Edited by Gandred on 2/9/2013 7:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I hope they use them in the atttack of Orgrimmar...or something else. Him and his worgens could be interresting. However, like Grimtale said:

02/09/2013 07:05 AMPosted by Grimtale
Genn Greymane is getting pretty ancient. I am seriously worried about what direction Blizzard might take with Gilneas's leadership once he kicks the bucket.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/09/2013 07:01 AMPosted by Dravic
and their daughter, Tess, would have to marry off to another family, thereby passing the crown to another line.

Why is this the assumption? That if she marries, that the Greymane name will vanish? Why couldn't lineage descend through the female line just as much through the male? At least with a woman, you know who the mother is. With males, it can be a guess at best who the father is. There's nothing to suggest that with no male heirs, the Greymane line is extinct.
Edited by Kynrind on 2/9/2013 7:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Tess gets married to Crowley. Crowley declares Gilneas a democracy. Varian shoots him and declares himself High King. Sylvannus invades again. Tess marries Anduin and produces a son, then dies without ever being shown on screen. The Horde are blamed and the FIFTH war starts.[/metzen]

Probably, it'll just go to Crowley, if Blizz even bothers with it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mmhmm... Greymane blood would still be In any future heirs but the name of the line would probably be changed to that of Tess's husband if Gilneas follows the customary traditions of Hereditary Monarchy.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
I can see the "Greymane Blood" not meaning a whole lot to some Gilneans (if this path ever had effort put into it).

Genn walled off part of his nation, abandoning those on the outside. His actions nearly caused a famine, and he was unable to stop the worgen and undead overruning his country. Even during the starting quests you see he's locked himself away from the people, whilst his wife tries to calm them down.

Compare that to Crowley. He's always had all of Gilneas' interests in mind, and those of other nations, and has fought for them. When Genn wanted to give the Alliance token aid, Darius wanted to go in wholeheartedly. When Genn and others fled the capital, Darius stayed in the church, sacrificing himself, to draw the worgen off. When Genn fled Gilneas, Darius stayed behind to fight against the invaders, and eventually won back his homeland. Whilst Genn has pissfarted around in Stormwind, Darius has been fending off Forsaken attackers on the coast.

Darius should have enough support to be a serious contender for the throne at this stage, marrying Tess just helps him affirm his position in those that are big on the rules of inheritance.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I can see the "Greymane Blood" not meaning a whole lot to some Gilneans (if this path ever had effort put into it).

Genn walled off part of his nation, abandoning those on the outside. His actions nearly caused a famine, and he was unable to stop the worgen and undead overruning his country. Even during the starting quests you see he's locked himself away from the people, whilst his wife tries to calm them down.

Compare that to Crowley. He's always had all of Gilneas' interests in mind, and those of other nations, and has fought for them. When Genn wanted to give the Alliance token aid, Darius wanted to go in wholeheartedly. When Genn and others fled the capital, Darius stayed in the church, sacrificing himself, to draw the worgen off. When Genn fled Gilneas, Darius stayed behind to fight against the invaders, and eventually won back his homeland. Whilst Genn has pissfarted around in Stormwind, Darius has been fending off Forsaken attackers on the coast.

Darius should have enough support to be a serious contender for the throne at this stage, marrying Tess just helps him affirm his position in those that are big on the rules of inheritance.

Those are fine points, however,it would mean Blizz developing other Alliances races aside from Humans...I don't think the world is ready for that yet.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Gandred, I think you paint Genn in too negative of a shade. Most of the decisions he made were for the betterment of Gilneas, in his own personal view.

And don't be too quick to propose Darius as someone who values life. He is very quick to waste the lives of his men if someone personal to him is at stake. I don't blame him for choosing his daughter, but the men who signed up for his cause ended up dying in vain nonetheless.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Tess could marry someone from a minor House. Have her husband take up the name Greymane-Whatever then the kids drop the whatever part and just go back to calling themselves Greymane.

That's what Maria Theresa did.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/09/2013 07:42 AMPosted by Dravic
Mmhmm... Greymane blood would still be In any future heirs but the name of the line would probably be changed to that of Tess's husband if Gilneas follows the customary traditions of Hereditary Monarchy.

Unless she were married to someone of equal or greater status (ie. Anduin), it would make sense for Tess's husband and children to take the Greymane name.

King George VI had only female children, so the crown passed to Queen Elizabeth II. Her husband (Prince Philip) was never given the title of king, and their children were to take Elizabeth's name (Windsor) over Philip's (Mountbatten). At Philip's request this was changed to "Mountbatten-Windsor" some years later, but only for his direct descendants - the official name of the British Royal Family is still just "Windsor".
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Tess would take over.

But we don't know how the worgen curse affects aging. Genn may have many years to come.
Edited by Lena on 2/9/2013 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/09/2013 07:42 AMPosted by Dravic

Why couldn't it be a matrilineal marriage?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Gandred, I think you paint Genn in too negative of a shade. Most of the decisions he made were for the betterment of Gilneas, in his own personal view.

And don't be too quick to propose Darius as someone who values life. He is very quick to waste the lives of his men if someone personal to him is at stake. I don't blame him for choosing his daughter, but the men who signed up for his cause ended up dying in vain nonetheless.

Darius Crowley has a lot going for him then say Genn. Sure Genn wised up but I wager it is because his people are cursed and it is a weight on his soul.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/09/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Kynrind
and their daughter, Tess, would have to marry off to another family, thereby passing the crown to another line.

Why is this the assumption? That if she marries, that the Greymane name will vanish? Why couldn't lineage descend through the female line just as much through the male? At least with a woman, you know who the mother is. With males, it can be a guess at best who the father is. There's nothing to suggest that with no male heirs, the Greymane line is extinct.

Because royal titles in wow are just like real world royal titles they are passed down through the male bloodline.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Because royal titles in wow are just like real world royal titles they are passed down through the male bloodline.

That's not true, at least not anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

True but this is something new and I feel once Harry or William take the throne it will go back to the male bloodlines. A queen/king can pass down to a daughter but only if there is no male heir. Or in the case of the current royal family to another family altogether if there is no heir. (The current Royal family is the Scottish royal family)
Edited by Dimented on 2/9/2013 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

True but this is something new and I feel once Harry or William take the throne it will go back to the male bloodlines. A queen/king can pass down to a daughter but only if there is no male heir. Or in the case of the current royal family to another family altogether if there is no heir. (The current Royal family is the Scottish royal family)

Again -

02/09/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Veloran
Why couldn't it be a matrilineal marriage?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Indeed and I wouldn't care if a girl continued the blood line. Sure it's different but I'm not going to start a battle over it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]