MW help / questions

Hello all

I have questions about mw healing in pvp and pve for that matter.

In the early lvls its seemed fairly easy and mana was not an issue but since I hit 86 I go oom so quickly and in pvp the heals are just weak.

I am obviously new to monk but have healed on other classes before and never close to the mana issues I am having now. What percentage of time should I spend in melee for heals?
as far as rotation I have visited the normal spots and worked on them but I cant seem to find the "effective" one.

Finally in pvp I find I can not keep someone up unless I crank everything I have at them and go oom in a minute leaving me usless to the team or I try and manage my mana and watch everyone drop quickly.

Again thanks for any help and or insight and yes I understand max lvl changes things as well as gear and rezil I guess I am just a little frustrated because I was starting to really enjoy playing this char and lvling but now its a little "scary"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
1: Power strikes.
2: Use mana tea liberally.
3: Don't spam your abilities. Only BoK/Tiger Paw for buff maintenance and when ppl need heals.
4: RM on CD.
Reply Quote
Regardless.

Im on my 2nd MW. First one I made on Launch day and just quested my way through then started Dungeoning and was constantly OOM.

So I went to horde. PVP/Dungeoned another MW all the way to where I am now. About 81 I started getting mana hungry. By 83 I'm freakin STARVING. I do EVERYTHING everyone suggests but I'm usually always OOM. Then I jumped on my lesser geared Druid and barely went below 80% spamming heals.

Mana usage is totally screwed up on a Monk. At 40 my Monk could cast about 12-13 Surging Mists. My Resto Druid could cast 22 Regrowth. Thats just straight up casting one after the other and they were both similarly geared.
Reply Quote
Regardless.

Im on my 2nd MW. First one I made on Launch day and just quested my way through then started Dungeoning and was constantly OOM.

So I went to horde. PVP/Dungeoned another MW all the way to where I am now. About 81 I started getting mana hungry. By 83 I'm freakin STARVING. I do EVERYTHING everyone suggests but I'm usually always OOM. Then I jumped on my lesser geared Druid and barely went below 80% spamming heals.

Mana usage is totally screwed up on a Monk. At 40 my Monk could cast about 12-13 Surging Mists. My Resto Druid could cast 22 Regrowth. Thats just straight up casting one after the other and they were both similarly geared.

^ just doing some bg's now and I go oom pretty quick but the other thing I am noticing is I have no "oh sh__t" button that gives a big heal? what am I missing ?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Regardless.

^ just doing some bg's now and I go oom pretty quick but the other thing I am noticing is I have no "oh sh__t" button that gives a big heal? what am I missing ?

Life cocoon+Enveloping mist
Reply Quote

Life cocoon+Enveloping mist

Thanks giving it a try... setup a pain at times
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Here's my standard reply to people asking for MW healing advice. Granted you are leveling up so some of these talents may not be accesible yet.....but it will give you an idea of what is to come

Here's a few things that I had to keep in mind while I was gearing up. They made a world of difference. Fair warning this is from a fistweaver heavy point-of-view, but I believe most of the tips cross over to mistweaving as well.

1) Always have your serpent statue out and within 40 yards. I know it costs 10% of your mana to place down but a quick Mana Tea usage will return it. Be smart about where you place it. Sometimes you can get 2-3 group pulls with 1 Serpent Statue.
2) Use Renewing Mist on cooldown to keep the groups health up. This will also set you up for Uplift spamming. Keep in mind ReM has to be on atleast 2 targets before you can use Uplift.
3) Use Life Cocoon as often as you can. Don't waste it when your tank is taking zero damage....but make sure it's used because not using it is also a waste.
4) Use Revival as often as you can. Again...don't waste it when your group is at full life but like life cocoon not using it is the same as wasting it.
5) Use a combination of melee healing (thanks to Serpents Zeal) and direct healing (soothing/surging mists). Using only one or the other can be very difficult as you're starting out.
6) If direct healing with Soothing Mist and you have 3 chi....apply Enveloping Mist. This extra HoT on the tank can free you up to do more melee damage/group healing.
7) Zen Meditation is amazing if used properly. Find a place for it on your hotbar and experiment!!!!
8) Glyph Renewing Mist. This will help spread your HoTs out to the entire group even when they are spread out.

Hopefully that helps =D
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Regardless.

if someone is severely low (bg), channel soothing mist followed by 3 instant cast surging mist (to get 3 chi, goal is to get 3 chi. if you have it already don't spam SM 3x), followed by an Enveloping mist. THis will top them off and then some. If its even more damage than t his can heal, throw Life Cocoon on them, and repeat what I stated.

Our oh !@#$ button is Revival.
Reply Quote
if someone is severely low (bg), channel soothing mist followed by 3 instant cast surging mist (to get 3 chi, goal is to get 3 chi. if you have it already don't spam SM 3x), followed by an Enveloping mist. THis will top them off and then some. If its even more damage than t his can heal, throw Life Cocoon on them, and repeat what I stated.Our oh !@#$ button is Revival.

Our group oh !@#$ button is Revival, LC is our single target CD it gives a solid absorb as well as buffs HoT healing while the absorb is active.

@OP

All healers start to have mana issues while leveling from one expansion to the next because of the stat scaling that occurs between level caps. I just finished leveling a disc priest to 90 and from 86-90 mana became somewhat of an issue. Not to the point im sure you are experiencing, but still more of an issue then I experienced at lower levels. When leveling as a healer, your goal should be to have spirit on every piece of gear you are wearing. I leveled this toon almost immediately after launch as thus didn't have the mana issues you are having now, but i still had between 3-4k mana at lvl 88-89. My first thought to help your problems is to reforge a bit of spirit on every piece you are wearing, even the greens. Other then that, be patient, it gets better at 90 (not much, but some) and read and follow what Boqus said about regarding spell choices. Ignore the part where he said "fistweaver heavy point-of-view" there is no fist weaving or mist weaving. Its all MW monk healing, you should be using every tool you have to heal and not using one part or the other bc you "want to be a melee healer" or "want to be a ranged healer" is wrong. Every tool we have, we were given for a reason.
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 02:08 AMPosted by Edimonk
if someone is severely low (bg), channel soothing mist followed by 3 instant cast surging mist (to get 3 chi, goal is to get 3 chi. if you have it already don't spam SM 3x), followed by an Enveloping mist. THis will top them off and then some. If its even more damage than t his can heal, throw Life Cocoon on them, and repeat what I stated.Our oh !@#$ button is Revival.

Our group oh !@#$ button is Revival, LC is our single target CD it gives a solid absorb as well as buffs HoT healing while the absorb is active.

@OP

All healers start to have mana issues while leveling from one expansion to the next because of the stat scaling that occurs between level caps. I just finished leveling a disc priest to 90 and from 86-90 mana became somewhat of an issue. Not to the point im sure you are experiencing, but still more of an issue then I experienced at lower levels. When leveling as a healer, your goal should be to have spirit on every piece of gear you are wearing. I leveled this toon almost immediately after launch as thus didn't have the mana issues you are having now, but i still had between 3-4k mana at lvl 88-89. My first thought to help your problems is to reforge a bit of spirit on every piece you are wearing, even the greens. Other then that, be patient, it gets better at 90 (not much, but some) and read and follow what Boqus said about regarding spell choices. Ignore the part where he said "fistweaver heavy point-of-view" there is no fist weaving or mist weaving. Its all MW monk healing, you should be using every tool you have to heal and not using one part or the other bc you "want to be a melee healer" or "want to be a ranged healer" is wrong. Every tool we have, we were given for a reason.

Thank you everyone...

I will continue to work on the char and improve where I can.

Thank you for constructive post and help
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You can start by getting rid of all that useless caster gear.
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 06:47 AMPosted by Sarevek
You can start by getting rid of all that useless caster gear.

Healers use caster gear?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
1) Get Ascension, you can do EM and Chi Wave when you got full chi so you dont have to get another chi up.
2) Use mana tea when needed i usually use it on CD when i'm low
3) Use healing spheres where possible. Cheap, Efficient, Good heals
4) Renewing mist on cooldown,
5)Expel Harm If you need a chi builder. RM + EH 2 chi in 1 sec and chi wave in 2 secs. Brainless
Reply Quote
1) Get Ascension, you can do EM and Chi Wave when you got full chi so you dont have to get another chi up.
2) Use mana tea when needed i usually use it on CD when i'm low
3) Use healing spheres where possible. Cheap, Efficient, Good heals
4) Renewing mist on cooldown,
5)Expel Harm If you need a chi builder. RM + EH 2 chi in 1 sec and chi wave in 2 secs. Brainless

1) no, if you want ascension its because of the extra mana meaning extra regen through mana tea. However, Chi brew allows more burst healing and ends up being more regen if used close to on CD. Both power strikes and chi brew end up being better then Ascension.

2) Use mana tea on CD whenever you have 2 stacks and are below 90% mana, not only when you are low. Unless your spell selection changes with your mana level (it shouldn't, be as conservative with 100% mana as you would be with 10%) the only difference between using it "now" and using it later is that you have 8% less mana to work with.

3) While correct that they are cheap, efficient and a decent heal. They can be annoying to place and unless you severely under gear the content you are attempting, there is no reason to run around placing healing spheres under people.

4) This is the only thing that you've said that I actually agree with.

5) EH if you aren't full health, not if you need chi. Thats what Jab is for. If you need chi NOW and you are in melee (which you should be, even if you dont keep the melee buffs up, jabbing for chi is to reliable to ignore) jab is the way to go. Next, both RM and EH incur a GCD meaning there's no way you have 2 chi in 1 second and chi wave out in the next.
Edited by Edimonk on 2/10/2013 11:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
NI
1) no, if you want ascension its because of the extra mana meaning extra regen through mana tea. However, Chi brew allows more burst healing and ends up being more regen if used close to on CD. Both power strikes and chi brew end up being better then Ascension.

2) Use mana tea on CD whenever you have 2 stacks and are below 90% mana, not only when you are low. Unless your spell selection changes with your mana level (it shouldn't, be as conservative with 100% mana as you would be with 10%) the only difference between using it "now" and using it later is that you have 8% less mana to work with.

3) While correct that they are cheap, efficient and a decent heal. They can be annoying to place and unless you severely under gear the content you are attempting, there is no reason to run around placing healing spheres under people.

4) This is the only thing that you've said that I actually agree with.

5) EH if you aren't full health, not if you need chi. Thats what Jab is for. If you need chi NOW and you are in melee (which you should be, even if you dont keep the melee buffs up, jabbing for chi is to reliable to ignore) jab is the way to go. Next, both RM and EH incur a GCD meaning there's no way you have 2 chi in 1 second and chi wave out in the next.

Okay, I'm not sure where where you're getting most of this information, but it's pretty wrong, not only that, but you're argueing with someone in almost full PVP gear, with a completely different style of healing, or at least a modestly different style. You should be looking at his gear and his progression clear before you pass judgement on the guys healing. OP asked for BOTH styles.

Ascension VS. Power Strikes is completely preferential. I switch between quite a bit, and I find that using power strikes is quite a bit more volatile in terms of chi generation. They do give you the added benefit of dropping the extra chi on orb form. The talent that you use, Chi Brew, is essentially a situational CD to get a free enveloping mist off, or two uplifts. It's not that good. The Chi can easily be generated otherwise, and using a button over complicates the rotation even more. That tree of talents is really a personal preference, you'll get plenty of those as mistweaver.

2. You should be using Mana Tea ON COOLDOWN. Getting 6 stacks+ with the glyph on is not good. You're behind on mana, and it will take a while before you can clear your mana stacks considering it's a 10 second cooldown. If you're ending a fight with mana tea stacks, you're not managing the button well. Rule of thumb, as long as you're not

3. Completely wrong. There are so many fights where this can be easily used as a tank cooldown, and it saves on extreme amount of mana if your tank does it right, and consistently uses them. You stack the three orbs, and if the tank is low health by the ad/boss, he can simply side step and gain 90k health at least. It's fantastic, and it's virtually mana free. Blade Lord Tay'ak is another great example of where to use these, as healing as a monk requires you to be standing still and gaining chi. Last phase you need to be running and healing, and this will free your running up a ton. Simply spam these in front of your dps, and expect them to walk on them, if they aren't they should be.

4. Nope. it should be used to combat consistent aoe damage. 19k mana cost is pretty high, and it's a big overheal and mana dump if you're using it wrong. Chi wave fits this perfectly. Chi wave is the thing that needs to be put on cooldown, as it's a great tank or raid heal (slightly erratic, but the heal is solid from it, considering it bounces 3-4 times as a heal). Works best on melee though. Also, to save on mana, thunder focus brew should be used towards the end of the hots falling off, so you can refresh them with an uplift.

5. I didnt start using expel harm until I realized how mana efficent it was considering the free chi it gives. Don't hesitate to use it to gain chi if you are in absolute dire need of throwing an EM or Chi Wave out, and you can't fit a jab into the rotation.
Edited by Lhasa on 2/11/2013 3:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
NI

You have to realize that mana teas factor into this equation, and that you gain the mana back through tea consumption. You can cast nearly the same amount of surging mists over time. You're not even supposed to use surging mists unless it's an absolute emergency, and your go-to spell is enveloping mists.

Thunder Focus + surging mists.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]