Death to Garrosh! But who's in charge now...

90 Orc Warrior
Any ideas to who should lead the Horde after Garrosh's inevitable demise? I think Baine or Vol'jin as separate or co-leaders of the Horde offering both a protective and relatively peaceful stance from both, not to mention they can certainly bring the Lok'tar when necessary.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I'd probably say Thrall, Vol'jin, and Baine are the three most realistic choices with Nazgrim being a very distant forth.

All the other candidates have issues that would be extremely difficult to resolve in the time we have. Saurfang for example is a honorable and well respected Orc even to the Alliance, but has been absent from the story for so long at this point that him coming onto the scene in the 11th hour and taking all the credit would be jarring to say the least.

Lor'themar has been one of the more active leaders recently (something that would of been hilariously unbelievable not even a year ago), but I think the Horde needs to retain some sense of a tribal feel, and the Blood Elves are anything but tribal. He might net himself a place of honor at the next Warchief's side however before this is all said and done.

Sylvanas has the same thematic problems as Lor'themar, but also has the additional problem of having absolutely no concept of honor (Garrosh at least pretends to be honorable). It would be an out of the frying pan and into the fire situation for the Horde if she were to take charge.

What I am certain of however is that there will be a Warchief. While the position might take on a somewhat different form post-MoP, I think the Horde is partially defined as having a central leader in the Warchief and it just wouldn't feel like a...horde without it. So probably no co-leaders, and while a council might be established, the Warchief will still at least be presented as the Horde's leader even if he technically has to answer to the council.
Edited by Falrinn on 2/9/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I'm hoping for Vol'jin. There is a new book coming out that's focused on him after all.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
It really doesn't matter who it is. Whomever it is will allow the Horde to stagnate as much as the Alliance has.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
02/09/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Falrinn
He might net himself a place of honor at the next Warchief's side however before this is all said and done.

I agree with this. Lor'themar shouldn't be Warchief, but I think giving him the position of "High Warlord," or some other hypothetical rank, giving him control over the Horde's military, and while the Warchief has the final say, Lor'themar would be the one to carry it out, command the forces, so on, while the Warchief plays Chessmaster.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
02/09/2013 11:53 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
He might net himself a place of honor at the next Warchief's side however before this is all said and done.

I agree with this. Lor'themar shouldn't be Warchief, but I think giving him the position of "High Warlord," or some other hypothetical rank, giving him control over the Horde's military, and while the Warchief has the final say, Lor'themar would be the one to carry it out, command the forces, so on, while the Warchief plays Chessmaster.

Considering that by his own admission, Lor'themar has no talent for politics, putting him in an explicitly military position may well be the perfect use of his talents (though this would still need to be reconciled with his position as regent-lord of Silvermoon).

Bonus points if his position actually puts him in a place of authority over Sylvanas, so that the new(er) ranger general has power over the old one, and he gets to say "neener neener" for her earlier rudeness.

Otherwise, I think Falrinn's got the right idea. For better or worse, the Alliance and Horde need to be identifiable by central authoritative figures, so the Warchief is likely here to stay.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Otherwise, I think Falrinn's got the right idea. For better or worse, the Alliance and Horde need to be identifiable by central authoritative figures, so the Warchief is likely here to stay.

I don't know why they need to be. The alliance is, well, an alliance, it shouldn't be ruled by 1 person. And warchief has proven repeatedly to be a completely terrible idea.
Reply Quote
"I wish you weren't just a stepping stone in someone elses story, and that you could have had time to organically evolve and become that which you should have become."

I'll pour one out for Garrosh, truely a character that could have been better than what he was written to be.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
02/09/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Lena

I don't know why they need to be. The alliance is, well, an alliance, it shouldn't be ruled by 1 person. And warchief has proven repeatedly to be a completely terrible idea.

And yet Blizzard insists on having each faction defined and/or led by a single recognizable character.

Hence "for better or worse".
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
02/09/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Kellick

And yet Blizzard insists on having each faction defined and/or led by a single recognizable character.

Hence "for better or worse".

I think that has more to do with their writers not being able to handle it than anything else.
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Kellick

Only for the sake so that they don't have to concentrate on multiple leaders at a time (or ever again probably).

Why continue the story of Baine or Gallywix in game? They could go into a book instead and make us a few more bucks by having people buy the books.

Why continue Gelbin Mekatorque or Genn Greymane or the 3 hammers in game?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
If anyone here has kept up with the recent Spiderman comics, you'll be familiar with my idea.

Garrosh will deal a mortal blow to Vol'jin, but with his last breath he will use his voodoo magic to transfer his spirit into the body of Garrosh and Garrosh's spirit into his own dying body. Once there he will reveal himself as Vol'jin in Garrosh's body. He then has a vision of all Garrosh's hopes for the Horde and decides to continue on as Warchief and be a Greater Garrosh.

Yes, the Spiderman comic was that ridiculous.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
02/09/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Lena

Doesn't mean the central leader has to be all powerful or ultimately answer to no one, just that they are an instantly recognizable figurehead and don't answer to any single individual. Or to put it another way, just because the leader of the Horde is still called "Warchief" doesn't mean some behind the scenes changes can't take place.

I personally would love to see a Klaxxi-style council of cultural leaders established to check the power of the Warchief. They would have to authority to, at any time, remove the current Warchief from power without a mak'gora and appoint a new one. Aside from this power however, they would serve an advisory role with the Warchief actually calling the shots.

Likewise for the Alliance a central leader, especially when it comes to military matters, doesn't mean it's no longer an Alliance. Still, I would prefer this position to go to someone who doesn't lead any particular member of the Alliance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Likewise for the Alliance a central leader, especially when it comes to military matters, doesn't mean it's no longer an Alliance. Still, I would prefer this position to go to someone who doesn't lead any particular member of the Alliance.

Sure, to order military plans and what not, but the individual races should still be in command of their own armies.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I personally would love to see a Klaxxi-style council of cultural leaders established to check the power of the Warchief. They would have to authority to, at any time, remove the current Warchief from power without a mak'gora and appoint a new one. Aside from this power however, they would serve an advisory role with the Warchief actually calling the shots.

I like this idea. Get a representative from each race, but none of the leaders. And make them characters who haven't gotten a lot of spotlight yet.

Rexxar
Rokhan
Tagar or Hamuul Runetotem (Tagar is long overdue an appearance, since WC3)
Nathanos Blightcaller
Um... Haldurion Brightwing? Lady Liadrin?
Boss Mida?
Ji Firepaw? (Since he hasn't really done much, I think this would be a nice position for him)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It will probably be an Orc. There is a still an achievement (for now) for killing each city's leader. I don't think it makes sense for Baine or Lor'themar to be away from their own cities.
My guess is it could be Saurfang or Nazgrim. I have not see Nazgrim brought up too much but we are spending a lot of time with him in Pandaria and he has been around since Wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
It will probably be an Orc. There is a still an achievement (for now) for killing each city's leader. I don't think it makes sense for Baine or Lor'themar to be away from their own cities.
My guess is it could be Saurfang or Nazgrim. I have not see Nazgrim brought up too much but we are spending a lot of time with him in Pandaria and he has been around since Wrath.

Well, if it's Vol'jin that doesn't matter since there's no achievement for him.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
This has been disused to death, then risen to undeath and then discussed to double death.
Its a legion of horses beaten to nothing but dust.

But since Voljin is getting a re-modeling and a book and it seems that even blizz has gotten tired of the constant troll massacre, Its quite possible it will be him.

:D

Blizzard tired of massacring trolls? Impossible. We'll find trolls on Argus or in Nazjatar to slaughter.
Reply Quote
They need a Warchief

They need an Orc racial leader

Two birds, one stone.

Common guys we know Blizzard enough by now to basically figure out what they are going to do. Them saying "It isn't who you think it is" rules out any current or previous leaders (thank god). So? It will be someone who will fill both the Orc leader, and the Warchief role. It will also be someone who isn't a current leader, so they can put the spotlight on someone new.

Look I love our leaders as much as the next guy, but wouldn't you rather have new characters then using the same ones over and over again? Or are we afraid of change. Actually that would explain half the QQ on the gen forums...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]