DK Blood DW Tanking

90 Human Death Knight
I am just wondering if anyone knows if its possible, well viable, to tank while DW. I know you used to be able to do it and it was ok but there were some problems. Im jw if theres any point to even attempting atm.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
There is no legitimate reason to do this.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/09/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Nipply
you used to be able to do it

Not really, no.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
It's doable but you will have to live with the fact that you'd be better with a 2H. It's very viable, but very pointless and...
02/09/2013 06:17 PMPosted by Tailias
There is no legitimate reason to do this.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
Heart Strike, Death Strike, and Rune Strike all hit with your MH weapon only.
Scent of blood only procs with your MH attacks. And you are going to lose a lot of the chances to get SoB procs since you need more hit to make your white attacks land.

Until we get a Threat of Tharnasian type buff no blood dk worth a damn should ever DW unless they are such a stupidly high upgrade.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
02/09/2013 06:32 PMPosted by Cynbria
Until we get a Threat of Tharnasian type buff no blood dk worth a damn should ever DW unless they are such a stupidly high upgrade.

Actually, if you somehow manage to find a 1H with more damage than your 2H, you should use the single 1H with no OH, to avoid taking the DW miss penalty.

DW is pretty much never a win.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/09/2013 10:53 PMPosted by Zorosblade
Where do you deathtards keep coming from jesus? You keep bashing in the poor dead horses head and you just dont care. You sir are another reason dks lose respect.

From the context of his post I would have to imagine he read an out of date article or guide and wanted to double check the relevance of the information he found.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The only time DW tanking was viable for DK's was in Wrath when you could frost tank, and even then it was pretty bad.

Of course.. I used to DW Frost tank on my DK, because i didn't want to tank on my DK so I purposely set myself up to fail.. sad thing was i was actually good at it and it was more to my liking then blood tanking >_>. That being said my DK now is Blood of course and uses a 2H weapon with no want to DW tank what so ever.

Even my monk doesn't DW tank, but this is mostly because i don't have any stupid weapons to do much of anything with :( But i hear that changes in ToT where weapons will rain from the skys. chances are i probably still won't get one :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Dear forum posters everywhere.
We from the dk community apologize that these sorts of threads have leaked from our personal forums into the tanking forums, while we try hard to maintain this from outbreaking into the public, sometimes it just happens.

We'll try to have this mess cleaned up as soon as possible, thank you for your patience while we fix the issue.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/10/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Hugsspec
The only time DW tanking was viable for DK's was in Wrath when you could frost tank, and even then it was pretty bad.

It wasn't pretty bad ... when it was viable it was actually the best spec. But it was an abomination in terms of talent allocation.

It was the shadowfrost era, and shadowfrost was by miles the best DK spec at that moment. Howling blast would hit like a truck, with bless of sanctuary you could macro Rune strike to every ability ... and frost had the most solid tank toolkit.

higher armor, Lichborne added 20% miss chance .. there was a talent that added +3% miss .. and had improved IBF, making it last 18sec with 1 min cooldown.

coupled with our ridiculously high avoidance (around 60-70% before the avoidance nerf), I pulled a lot of shenanigans while tanking as shadowfrost dw.

then before ulduar we got nerfed into oblivion .. but was quite fun while it lasted.

tanking Razuvios 25 man for 2 minutes is on my top 5 of shenanigans pulled.

oh and btw, tanking as blood dw nowadays is not really possible.
Edited by Leeflow on 2/10/2013 6:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
/drink
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
I am just wondering if anyone knows if its possible, well viable, to tank while DW. I know you used to be able to do it and it was ok but there were some problems. Im jw if theres any point to even attempting atm.

Viable - maybe in dungeons with undergeared dps. In such a situation threat would be a non-issue.

But optimal? There are no situations where dual wielding would be superior to 2 handed. You're basically looking at roughly halving the dps of your abilities with no corresponding gain. Frost dk for example gains by making its off hand weapon "replicate" certain abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I know you used to be able to do it

No no it was never ok, its always been bad, and always will be bad, please don't ever do this.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Dear blizzard
Remove Blood's ability to use 1 handers
Signed; everyone sick of people bringing this up daily on both the tank and dk forums.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Dear blizzard,

Bring back dual wielding for prot warriors

signed; person who likes to have cool weapons on while afk
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/10/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Felshifter
I know you used to be able to do it

No no it was never ok, its always been bad, and always will be bad, please don't ever do this.

You shouldn't claim absolutes about things you have no actual knowledge of. As stated previously, dual-wield frost tanking was in no means a gimped build during most, if not all, of Wrath of the Lich King. You know, when DKs were created.

Dear blizzard,

Bring back dual wielding for prot warriors

signed; person who likes to have cool weapons on while afk

Kinda don't see a reason why most melee classes shouldn't be able to dual wield for that simple reason, even having it disable most of your abilities while you do so.

People will be fail either way, might as well let the good and the bad look cool while they do their thing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
Another problem I could see with dual wielding for a tank is for the off hand to be useful, you'll probably need a fair bit of expertise.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Dear forum posters everywhere.
We from the dk community apologize that these sorts of threads have leaked from our personal forums into the tanking forums, while we try hard to maintain this from outbreaking into the public, sometimes it just happens.

We'll try to have this mess cleaned up as soon as possible, thank you for your patience while we fix the issue.

We forgive you. Today. >.>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]