What am I doing wrong? Windwalker PvP

90 Human Monk
I've been pvping alot, because that's my thing. I like to PvP. The problem is that I cannot seem to do well in BG's.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. For my level (68), I'm decently geared but cannot kill anything in BG's as a WW Monk. Honestly, I'm lucky if I'm 3-8 in most of the games.

I've seen guides and videos on how to PvP as WW and have macros to help me, yet cannot kill jack crap. Also, I have the survivability of an ice cube in a magma chamber.

-How I start an attack: Flying Serpent Kick then Disable.

-My basic PvP rotation: Jab x2, Tiger Palm, Rising Sun Kick, Fists of Fury, Blackout Kick x2, repeat. (Varies on situation)

-Things I use to survive longer: Flying Serpent Kick, Chi Wave, Roll, Expel Harm, Tiger's Lust, Fortifying Brew & Touch of Karma.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do Monk's get better at a higher level or do I just suck?

**Tips and pointers would be awesome!**
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
WW monks regardless of gear. are VERY fragile while lvling in pvp. they can hit decently hard but they pretty much cant take damage from other players well at all while leveling.

tip: finish leveling to 90 and get pvp gear
Edited by Leelasmonk on 2/9/2013 7:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am by no means an expert! So take this as you will.

I noticed you did not include healing sphere. Even when I got it, I often forgot it, but I have now made it a point to utilize it when I can. An example would be perhaps you are fighting a DK or warrior. I find it is best used after you pop Fists of Fury as you generally are close to capping energy when it is finished. Another example; you are getting nuked but either can't pop a CD(s) or don't want to. Instead, serpent kick away and sphere up. It also took me awhile to realize that you can cast it directly onto your character and it will instantly heal you. I mistakenly thought you had to cast it a ways away, wait for it to appear, and then walk into it lol.

I noticed you also have spinning fire blossom glyphed. To each their own, although I personally like the ranged root. It has a lot of good uses in my opinion such as gap-closing or cancelling an enemy's attempted flee/combat exit/charge etc. Paralysis is good for basic CC but also serves nicely to interrupt an enemy's offensive CD. If you are going for a kill don't forget to make use of your Tigereye Brew.

As for BGs, general rule of thumb for me personally is to stick with groups and do my best to pick and choose my battles - of course that's not always an available luxury. I usually stay out of brackets till I am within a level or two of the cap. I find my role to be more of lockdown as opposed to blow everything up lol. Between Paralysis, Leg Sweep, Spear Hand Strike, and Fists of Fury I am decent at peeling. I would say don't focus so much on maintaining a heavy rotation or to give much credence to the scoreboard. Rather, get creative with the tools you are given and serve your team in accordance with the BG and the situations you find yourself in.

Or you could always go brewmaster, get a pocket healer, and troll the enemy which is fun too. You may not kill much! But so long as you and your healer are smart you probably won't die either. In EotS, my friend was on his druid and I was BM. We went mid and I would annoy everyone with dizzying haze. They'd attack me. I'd use Guard and head towards the edge... at which point my friend would typhoon them all off lol. It's a satisfying and amusing alternative to just trying to kill stuff. Maybe give that shot?

Hope this helps! But feel free to take with a grain of salt! lol
Edited by Wyndell on 2/10/2013 1:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
ANything below 90 as a monk sucks, especially pvp. That's really all there is :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
In BGs you might have a rough go of it vs all the pvp twinks, but leveling in the world, I found monks to be incredibly sturdy 1v1 in random encounters.

Some things to remember are chi wave, use it as much as possible. Also, prioritize spinning blossom over everything but rising sun kick, until like 80 or so its does ridiculous damage. With just the blossoms and chi wave you can do a ton of damage at range. Once your in range, use a disarm for 8 more seconds of advantage. Follow up that disarm with leg sweep for 5 more seconds of one a sided fight, now pop chi brew or build up 3 chi and use fists of fury to finish them off.

Also, you can use legsweep, spend 2 GCDs dropping spheres behind the target, run behind them and paralyze them for 8 seconds, which should be enough to drop another 2-4 spheres and heal to full, while they sit there watching half dead!

WWs have an incredible toolbox and are a blast to pvp with, especially in 1v1. Ive actually been building a melee set after healing this whole season because of how fun WW is. Stick with it, and remember pvp is just going to be mismatched either in your favor or against until you are max level, but until then, nobody is using much resil, so a good pvp head is even more of an advantage than gear.
Edited by Tigerdna on 2/10/2013 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Wait till you're 90,it'll pay off then
Reply Quote
Monks before 90 can be crazy if you use healing sphere and fists of fury to your advantage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
WW monks need dat upgraded weapon, real bad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
God why is everyone going healing sphere? it sucks for dmg and healing, look Chi Wave is much much better. lets compare (note this is what happens if i use it, results may vary)

Zen Sphere: 4,616 healing and 1,782 dmg ever 2 sec for 16, and when u use it again it explodes for 6,344 dmg and 12,363 healing. ok its not bad but thats 4 chi to do almost 20k dmg and 49k healing in 16 sec.

Chi Wave: 5,418 dmg and 10,537 healing, bouncing 7 times (enemy, monk etc.) normally in 1v1 thats 4 hits on ur target and 3 on your self, which is total 21k dmg and 31k healing.

Now im not stupid and can clearly see that zen sphere does more healing, and about the same dmg, but i only had to use 2 chi, and i kept attacking my target letting chi wave do its job, yes it does have a 8 sec cd but if u want max healing from zen sphere u have to time it right and have 2 chi rdy at the same time. plus Chi wave has a 40 yard range so if they run from u or kite u, u still get healed
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
God why is everyone going healing sphere? it sucks for dmg and healing, look Chi Wave is much much better. lets compare (note this is what happens if i use it, results may vary)

Zen Sphere: 4,616 healing and 1,782 dmg ever 2 sec for 16, and when u use it again it explodes for 6,344 dmg and 12,363 healing. ok its not bad but thats 4 chi to do almost 20k dmg and 49k healing in 16 sec.

Chi Wave: 5,418 dmg and 10,537 healing, bouncing 7 times (enemy, monk etc.) normally in 1v1 thats 4 hits on ur target and 3 on your self, which is total 21k dmg and 31k healing.

Now im not stupid and can clearly see that zen sphere does more healing, and about the same dmg, but i only had to use 2 chi, and i kept attacking my target letting chi wave do its job, yes it does have a 8 sec cd but if u want max healing from zen sphere u have to time it right and have 2 chi rdy at the same time. plus Chi wave has a 40 yard range so if they run from u or kite u, u still get healed

Ahem...

Healing Sphere
Instant
Requires Monk
Requires level 1
You form a Healing Sphere out of healing mists at the target location for 3 min. If allies walk through it, they consume the sphere, healing themselves for 9986.

Maximum of 3 Healing Spheres can be active by the Monk at any given time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
sorry, i tend to read things wrong and see what ppl wrote differently, happens all the time but hey my point still stands on Chi wave and zen sphere
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk
02/15/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Gyätso
sorry, i tend to read things wrong and see what ppl wrote differently, happens all the time but hey my point still stands on Chi wave and zen sphere

In your defense the naming is rather similar and confusing (which is why I believe they are renaming healing spheres gift of the serpent or something)

02/09/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Piggylol
I have the survivability of an ice cube in a magma chamber.

Also, this is now my quote of the day :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Healing sphere.. Nuff said. Get in burst someone flying serpent kick out then healing sphere to full roll back in burst then fists of fury... Dead
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't think I've lost a 1v1 situation on my monk after getting healing spheres at 64. Granted, all my battles have been while leveling/questing.

Healing spheres are pretty good at topping you. Between that and chi wave, you should be able to heal through most damage. Expel harm + touch of karma if things get iffy.

Stun with legsweep early on and and try to get some defensive cds (ex: barkskin, disperse, bubble, etc.) Always keep enough energy to pop a healing sphere at your feet.

When you are ready for it (8+ stack of tigereye), pop your offensive cds and hit the enemy with a fof. Usually, that will probably land you a kill. Most battles wont even last this long. The only people I have had extended battles with were shadow priests and boomkins.

Just remember, your heals are pretty good at that level. You just have to remember to use them.

Also, don't flying serpent kick into battle. If you are mounted, then just run up and use disable. I've had many situations where I had to flying serpent kick out of battle and heal up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]