Protection Warrior AoE

90 Pandaren Monk
Coming from playing a Monk for a long time now (since day one of when i Could back in october, about a week after MoP launched), I just can't seem to get the hang of warrior anymore! I didn't play as a main, but I loved playing warrior. My biggest issue right now is the LACK of AoE a Protection Warrior has to chose from unlike other classes:

Blood Death Knights have Blood Boil and Death and Decay...one without a cd and can be free and deal more damage and one with a bit of a long cd

Protection Paladins have multiple in numbers, but most do crap damage....Hammer of the Righteous (wet noodle), Consecration (might not hit hard, but it's still nice), and Holy Wrath...possibly more depending on your talents

Guardian Druids have Swipe on 3 second cd and Thrash on 6 second cd...I haven't played Guardian, so if they have another one, I don't know of it

Monks have the best AoE in the game IMO...not because it deals awesome damage, but because they can grab threat a little easier because they can throw Dizzying Haze which does no damage (except through the debuff but that rarely happens) but causes HIGH threat, they have Keg Smash, Breath of Fire and a no cd channeled aoe Spinning Crane Kick.

I'm just asking 2 things:

1. Would it be possible for them to add something or maybe make it possible for Thunder Clap to have a shorter cd (I wouldn't mind if it did no damage at all but rly high threat, similar to how Dizzying Haze for Monks works and applies Deep Wounds on either no cooldown or on 3 second cd, spamming on people has no worth because ur just refreshing the bleed but it would still be useful for gathering threat on spread out adds) so grabbing a lot of adds or mobs that are coming through all spread out so the healer doesn't grab aggro on half and you have to wait 6 seconds before you can grab them off.

2. What does every Warrior out there do right now? I ran through the Brewery which scared me away for a while because of my lack of aoe to grab the hundreds of vermin unless i let someone else just take aggro and stack in the end and aoe stun them with Shockwave. I mean out of all the Tanks, Warriors do have the lease AoE threat capabilities cd-wise.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thunderclap, Shockwave, Revenge, Cleave...our AoE is fine.

Also, not every class has to be as good at every aspect of a role as every other class.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Heroic Leap in, Thunderclap, Shockwave / Dragon Roar / Bladestorm, Revenge, Shield Slam and Devastate when you need a filler GCD; then hit your AOE buttons as they come off of CD with the exception of Cleave. Cleave is a bit trickier when gearing up and managing your rage levels. Warrior AOE threat is completely manageable against DPS unless you're not tab targeting. That's one thing the other classes won't have to do AS much, but Warrior AOE threat is fine.

If Brewery and the vermin brought up the concern, don't be. In there, just focus on the Boppers, the little guys don't do much on their own and you can afford to grab them with every other TClap CD. Also, if you have enough mobs on you, you'll never stop hitting Revenge. That's a situation for Wind Lord and Empress add tanking. It's amazing.

Just don't forget to switch targets~
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
A mixture of thunder clap / cleave usually will cover it. Its not going to be as easy as the crane kick / death and decay / consecration. But thats the exact reason I play my warrior. I find them more technical than pretty much every tank but a monk. once a warrior picks up spare adds they pretty much dominate aggro, but its getting those adds at first that can pose problems for new warriors at first.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/09/2013 11:53 PMPosted by Vlademir
once a warrior picks up spare adds they pretty much dominate aggro, but its getting those adds at first that can pose problems for new warriors at first.

Thunderclap is one of the best AoE I think....it does a great job with threat grabbing, it's just when there are a flow of adds incoming all spread out, it's a challenge to grab them all without having the healer or a dps or two grabbing all the threat first (although 90% of the time it's a moron healer or hunter who doesnt know that warriors can't spam Blood Boil like a DK...which is a whole other story for me with healing...I hate Blood DKs all around!)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Play a Prot Paladin and you'll start to appreciate how good Prot Warrior AoE is at the moment. Clutche summed it up well, use the AoE abilities and mobs should stick to you. I can't think of many add rushes in any instance or raid that you can't sit on a TC/SW cooldown to quickly grab the adds.

But again, my experience is pretty limited, so take with a grain of salt.
Reply Quote
Can't wait till we eat 40-second Shockwaves next patch, whenever the third mob moves just outside of its range at the last moment.
Edited by Taunque on 2/10/2013 8:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
That AOE ability tier is really just a crutch, you don't really need to rely on them. Shortest CD is 20 seconds, longest is a minute and a half right now, and then it'll be 40 seconds as the shortest. They're pretty amazing for front loading all that AOE threat, but even if you don't tag them all with it, you'll still be hitting all of those AOE abilities just as much you have to now.

It's all just a matter of you hunkering down into that group and hitting everything you have now, and that won't change. You'll be fiiiiine. If you wanna have some practice, go do LFR Empress and tank all the adds. If you don't die and lose aggro, you figured out what to do almost.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I am leveling a prot warrior (just hit 45) and I keep wondering about this too. On my monk, it is very easy to grab adds as they come but I keep thinking what I should do for cases with adds spawning... What do you do in the following specific cases?

The adds that spawn 2 at a time at range in the middle of the strafing run on gate of the setting sun's upper level (taunt one and heroic throw at the other? just eat the fire damage, pick them up and get out?)

The continuous waves of 6 on the boss that follows. On my monk I generally tell the healer to stand on the steps behind the boss before the pull and then I fight the boss in the space between the spawn point and the heals and aoe them as they run past me. This should work as long as TC is up.

The waves on the barrier boss with the bombs before the bridge on siege of niuzao temple?

The vermin that spawn during the hoptallus fight?
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
Brewmaster is pretty easy mode, but Warrior AoE threat kit is fine.

Bonus points for lazy people like me:

Use Enraged Regeneration/Victory Rush to aggro streaming mobs.

Throw down Mocking Banner when there's 30 seconds left on the fight/add phase and faceroll.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Aoe seems to be fine for me, most of the time I can take DPS 1-3 in an aoe fight. HL in, let some vengence stack, bloodbath, dragon roar, thunder clap, deadly calm, cleave & revenge
Edited by Quizenbort on 2/11/2013 6:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Basic answer FTW:

AOE:
Thunderclap on CD
Shockwave on CD
Pool rage for Shield block
Spam Revenge

(edit)Can also spec into BB and DR for additional aggro.
Use Mocking banner on big pulls if you're having threat issues.
Edited by Bankrupture on 2/11/2013 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Revenge and cleave have one huge drawback. they are barely considered AoE. revenge hits 3 targets only, and cleave only hits 2 for mediocre damage with a high rage cost. if cleave hit all targets, then that would be great, even if its damage wasn't very high, just to be able to keep adding it. warriors only have 2 attacks that hit all, with one being front facing only. DK-blood boil does a ton of damage, spreads diseases/refreshes (with talent) the diseases do a lot of damage and their basic rotation involves a very nice self-heal. my 88 warrior has a hard time soloing due to poor self-healing and low damage output, and in dungeons his overall damage is just weak compared to everyone else. in short-i love DK tanking. you can faceroll and stay alive, putting out huge damage and keeping aggro. Warrior im always panicked spamming defensive cooldowns and praying my healer can keep me up while i rely on my DPS to kill anything.
I think making cleave hit all targets (even for a reduced amount) would be the best option
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
02/10/2013 11:07 PMPosted by Machomatcha
I am leveling a prot warrior (just hit 45) and I keep wondering about this too. On my monk, it is very easy to grab adds as they come but I keep thinking what I should do for cases with adds spawning... What do you do in the following specific cases?
Mocking Banner.

Alternatively don't give a damn because outside of Elegon, constantly spawning adds all do crap for damage (e.g. Hoptallus trash).

Also, Heroic Leap w/ glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Our aoe is fine but if you think this is bad I would love to see your thoughts on warrior aoe tanking back in pre bc/bc. We have it EASY now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
02/10/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Taunque
Can't wait till we eat 40-second Shockwaves next patch, whenever the third mob moves just outside of its range at the last moment.

having played something with a 1 minute singe target stun for a very long time, i don't see what the big issue is. if you need shockwave for aoe threat then you probably shouldn't be tanking.

02/20/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Mòò
Our aoe is fine but if you think this is bad I would love to see your thoughts on warrior aoe tanking back in pre bc/bc. We have it EASY now.

exactly this. warriors have great aoe threat right now compared bc and even wolk. you pretty much couldn't do shattered halls or hyjal with out a paladin, who were aoe gods, because a warrior wasn't able to pick up mobs as effectively.

one thing that is very balanced right now is tanks. all of them are strong. there are no fights this tier that can't be tanked by anything but a specific kind of tank like there have been in the past.

i personally find bloodbath to be an indispensable tool if i need to get a large group gathered up.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Honestly I think there is a tanking tier list and blood dk is at the top and warr is at the bottom. Better AoE and stam make dks the best. Warr only has damage and a decent amount of AoE, remember cleave and revenge really are the main pick up tools you'll use.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Thunderclap, Shockwave, Revenge, Cleave...our AoE is fine.

Nobody uses cleave anymore and revenges cleave radius is absurdly low.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Honestly I think there is a tanking tier list and blood dk is at the top and warr is at the bottom. Better AoE and stam make dks the best. Warr only has damage and a decent amount of AoE, remember cleave and revenge really are the main pick up tools you'll use.

Look at when the OP was made.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]