First healer toon! Need some information. :)

55 Human Hunter
Hey healers
I recently bought wow, 2 months ago, and have been a dps class since then. But now it is starting to get boring. So I decided to make a healer main. What I want from a healer is a fun, but not too weak, playing style. Also maybe it would be good to have options later on to go DPS or something. :)

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
All of the healing classes are completely viable for healing at the moment, and every healing class has a DPS option. What's "fun" is going to vary from person to person, however. My advice would be to try several different classes and see which one you really like.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
As Tiriel said, all of the healing classes are viable, and enjoyment of one over another depends entirely on the person. If you'd like a run down of each of the healing specs, Abeille's sticky offers information on each. Mistweaver is currently a work-in-progress, however.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015354204

Welcome to the game, I hope you're enjoying yourself. :)
Reply Quote
55 Human Hunter
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
1) get to 90
2) cue for regs and get carried to heroic gear (healing is optional in dungeons these days)
3) cue for heroics and get carried to LFR gear (healing still optional for the most part)
4) cue for LFR and get carried to normal gear ( watch some tv or something to occupy your time while stuck in these bland, horribly easy raids)
5) go on to normal knowing mechanics really don't change just the damage output (healing is required at this point but minimal raid awareness, if any)

Helpfulness level BELOW -9000!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
1) get to 90
2) cue for regs and get carried to heroic gear (healing is optional in dungeons these days)
3) cue for heroics and get carried to LFR gear (healing still optional for the most part)
4) cue for LFR and get carried to normal gear ( watch some tv or something to occupy your time while stuck in these bland, horribly easy raids)
5) go on to normal knowing mechanics really don't change just the damage output (healing is required at this point but minimal raid awareness, if any)

You misspelled queue. :<
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
02/09/2013 03:26 PMPosted by Sanatio
Also maybe it would be good to have options later on to go DPS or something. :)

With that in mind, do you have a preference on being melee or ranged DPS?

Monk: Melee DPS
Paladin: Melee DPS
Priest: Ranged DPS
Druid: Melee or Ranged DPS
Shaman: Melee or Ranged DPS

The bonus to going with a Ranged DPS version is that, at least while leveling, you can do a lot of gear sharing between the DPS spec and Healing spec. I did my leveling as Boomkin, healing 5-mans as I went. Worked out nicely, as until I dinged 90, the only gear I ever swapped was trinkets.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
In terms of fun factor, I like Priest best (I have Priest, Shaman and Paladin healers). They have 2 powerful healing specs (wow!), 1 overpowered DPS spec, and a variety of tools for you to play with.

Good Priest players are typically familiar with both Holy and Discipline spec of this class, and switch between them depending on the fight/group composition. If you run into one of these players, ask to join their guild. :)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/12/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Kerranggaroo
Also maybe it would be good to have options later on to go DPS or something. :)

With that in mind, do you have a preference on being melee or ranged DPS?

Monk: Melee DPS
Paladin: Melee DPS
Priest: Ranged DPS
Druid: Melee or Ranged DPS
Shaman: Melee or Ranged DPS

The bonus to going with a Ranged DPS version is that, at least while leveling, you can do a lot of gear sharing between the DPS spec and Healing spec. I did my leveling as Boomkin, healing 5-mans as I went. Worked out nicely, as until I dinged 90, the only gear I ever swapped was trinkets.

Some more detail on that:

Ranged DPS specs:

Shadow (Priest): DoTs and channels. Short cast times, short cooldowns, and procs. Fast-paced, hectic spec (especially in multitarget fights).

Elemental (Shaman): Nukes and DoTs. Moderately long cast times and both long and short cooldowns.

Balance (Druid): Nukes and DoTs. Long cast times and a few long cooldowns. Spammy and slow, with some really unique mechanics.

All three ranged specs have basically unlimited resources and strong healing/utility, with Shadow's arguably the strongest.

Melee specs:

Retribution (Paladin): 2H weapons. Direct physical and magical damage. Unlimited 'base' resource powering most abilities; limited 'extra' resource powering bursty damage and some utility. Generally feels like a cooldown-constrained spec with a bit of extra flexibility, not a resource-constrained one. Decent healing/utility.

Enhancement (Shaman): Dual wield. DoTs, totems, and magical damage. Unlimited resources; entirely constrained by cooldowns and procs. Some rather weird gameplay at the min/max level (totem-twisting, hardcasting), but fun for solo. Great healing/utility.

Feral (Druid): Paws and claws. Undispellable DoTs and some direct damage. Energy and combo points work exactly like a rogue's; highly resource-constrained with some procs. Historically had a very complicated, DoT-heavy rotation, but I'm not sure that still applies. Not much healing outside of cooldowns; moderate utility.

Windwalker (Monk): Dual wield. Mostly direct damage. Heavily resource-constrained; energy and Chi work a lot like a rogue's resources, but Chi is attached to the monk rather than the target. Some short cooldowns, some longer cooldowns, fairly simple rotation. Hardly any utility or healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If the PTR is still going on you might want to try a couple of classes on there for a feel of their spell selection / play style.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
02/13/2013 08:07 PMPosted by Seraphine
If the PTR is still going on you might want to try a couple of classes on there for a feel of their spell selection / play style.

Considering her account is only two months old, I don't believe she has access to PTR.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/13/2013 08:09 PMPosted by Milkmesoftly
Considering her account is only two months old, I don't believe she has access to PTR.

Oh, darn. You're right. I'm sorry OP. :(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I have all the healers at 85, monk and druid at 90.

When Mists was starting i asked those who had all four healers to answer these questions:

1. What order did you reach 85 on them?
2. Which one feels the strongest to you?
3. Which one is the most fun?
4. Which one would you be most likely to make another one of?
5. Will you make a monk healer in Mists?

I now have made a monk healer, and it is lots of fun. I have no real way of comparing power of heals since i have not leveled all of them to 90 yet, but monk and druid feel quite similar in healing power.

The responses were almost all positive and well thought out, and i think you would benefit from reading it to answer your questions.

Here is the link to the original thread: (It might also be fun to hear from more of you with all the healers now that we are advanced enough in mists to raid with monks.)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6368777333
Edited by Zinika on 2/14/2013 9:28 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]