Monk Haste ?

90 Blood Elf Monk
Greetings everyone. I hope you're all well.

I am looking for a hard cap Number to set my haste at. a friend that has a mw monk looked at my gear and said I have about 3 times more than I need for the breaking point.
Reply Quote
From the MW guide for 5.1 (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7592641510)

Haste Breakpoints (all haste values are tiger stance values)

Renewing Mist
With 5% haste buff: 3145, 6141
Without 5% haste buff: 4719, 7864

Enveloping Mist
With 5% haste buff: 887, 5376
Without 5% haste buff: 2348, 7062

The number to aim for depends on your gear level and usual group comp. If you regularly raid with someone providing the 5% spell haste buff then aim for the most easily attainable breakpoint (3145) for your gear level. If you raid without it then aim for 2348 (as 4719 is quite a large amount of spirit unless you are raiding heroic content) or dump as much of the haste on your gear as you can in favor of crit.

I would suggest simcraft or askmrrobot to get the most out of your gear.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
If the armory is correct, you currently have 3126 haste in tiger stance. This is pretty close to the absolute worst you could be as you are missing the 3145 break point but still have a fair amount of stats tied up in haste beyond the previous break point. The goal is to be just above the haste break point you are aiming for so you get the extra HoT/DoT ticks with as few itemization points as possible. This is a little different from things like hit/expertise where being a little bit under the cap can be a mathematically correct choice in terms of expected output.

For example, if you look at my armory, you will see that I currently have 5479 haste (in tiger stance) which is 103 rating above the 5376 break point to get 2 extra ticks of enveloping mist if you have the +5% spell haste buff (my raid has an ele shaman, spriest, and usually a boomkin so I pretty much always do). Looking closer you will see that the smallest amount I could decrease haste by changing a gem/enchant/reforge is ~150 which would put me below the target by ~50.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Thank you all.

Now I have a few more questions.

Ok I just figured out why my hps sucks. All this time I thought this was a casting only toon, that healed better via casting. I was just about to change this toon to dps when a friend sat down with me and explained it does better healing while in melee. All this time I have been casting my azz off, working this toon over time trying to get better numbers, then to find out that I only needed to cast in emergencies ?

Now I understand what you all meant by eminence healing. well I get the idea, but still hasn't quite figured it all out yet..

I am supposed to be right there in the mix with the melee'ers ? If so, now I understand how Chi Torpedo would help in "some" cases.

I am a big time dgn runner, and do my raids every week in LFR. The reason I do LFR is because I am still new to wow and this is my very first healer.

But I am a former welder with very bad eyes, so bad, I can no longer see the keys on my keyboard.

I need to know, the best rotation advice I can get, in short easy to decipher instructions. I don't understand stacks, or the WoW abbreviations. Can anyone help me without me having to read a ton, because my eyes blur badly after about 5 minutes of reading. I love healing, and really don't want to throw this monk to the side.

But can someone please explain how to get the most out of this toon and still be able to melee and cast all at the same time as needed with this class ? I use Vuhdo healing addon, should I use a different one ?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Here's my standard reply to people asking for MW healing advice.

Here's a few things that I had to keep in mind while I was gearing up. They made a world of difference. Fair warning this is from a fistweaver heavy point-of-view, but I believe most of the tips cross over to mistweaving as well.

1) Always have your serpent statue out and within 40 yards. I know it costs 10% of your mana to place down but a quick Mana Tea usage will return it. Be smart about where you place it. Sometimes you can get 2-3 group pulls with 1 Serpent Statue.
2) Use Renewing Mist on cooldown to keep the groups health up. This will also set you up for Uplift spamming. Keep in mind ReM has to be on atleast 2 targets before you can use Uplift.
3) Use Life Cocoon as often as you can. Don't waste it when your tank is taking zero damage....but make sure it's used because not using it is also a waste.
4) Use Revival as often as you can. Again...don't waste it when your group is at full life but like life cocoon not using it is the same as wasting it.
5) Use a combination of melee healing (thanks to Serpents Zeal) and direct healing (soothing/surging mists). Using only one or the other can be very difficult as you're starting out.
6) If direct healing with Soothing Mist and you have 3 chi....apply Enveloping Mist. This extra HoT on the tank can free you up to do more melee damage/group healing.
7) Zen Meditation is amazing if used properly. Find a place for it on your hotbar and experiment!!!!
8) Glyph Renewing Mist. This will help spread your HoTs out to the entire group even when they are spread out.

Hopefully that helps =D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/10/2013 01:50 AMPosted by Edimonk
I would suggest simcraft or askmrrobot to get the most out of your gear.

For some reason mrrobot takes a LONG time to adjust to new gearing and or stance change. even after hitting refresh from armory. Is there a better way to get it to change faster so I dont have to wait hours to a day to fix said stats ?

For instance I know how to change the gear by clicking it and changing it to the new gear via the list, but it took 24 hours after I used valor points to upgrade the item lvl on some of the gear, for it to show the change.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Here's my standard reply to people asking for MW healing advice.

Here's a few things that I had to keep in mind while I was gearing up. They made a world of difference. Fair warning this is from a fistweaver heavy point-of-view, but I believe most of the tips cross over to mistweaving as well.

1) Always have your serpent statue out and within 40 yards. I know it costs 10% of your mana to place down but a quick Mana Tea usage will return it. Be smart about where you place it. Sometimes you can get 2-3 group pulls with 1 Serpent Statue.
2) Use Renewing Mist on cooldown to keep the groups health up. This will also set you up for Uplift spamming. Keep in mind ReM has to be on atleast 2 targets before you can use Uplift.
3) Use Life Cocoon as often as you can. Don't waste it when your tank is taking zero damage....but make sure it's used because not using it is also a waste.
4) Use Revival as often as you can. Again...don't waste it when your group is at full life but like life cocoon not using it is the same as wasting it.
5) Use a combination of melee healing (thanks to Serpents Zeal) and direct healing (soothing/surging mists). Using only one or the other can be very difficult as you're starting out.
6) If direct healing with Soothing Mist and you have 3 chi....apply Enveloping Mist. This extra HoT on the tank can free you up to do more melee damage/group healing.
7) Zen Meditation is amazing if used properly. Find a place for it on your hotbar and experiment!!!!
8) Glyph Renewing Mist. This will help spread your HoTs out to the entire group even when they are spread out.

Hopefully that helps =D

Ok that means target changes from boss/mobs to players. Vuhdo addon doesn't always send the heal or ability where it supposed to go unless I click the players icon, No telling how many times I've applied a power on a tank and it went to me instead.

I had healbot and it seemed to send the power to the right person, then they upgraded it and now it does the same as Vuhdo. meaning some of the extra powers I keep in my tool bar, and apply them separately because of the addon glitches
Edited by Zenfoo on 2/10/2013 2:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
For some reason mrrobot takes a LONG time to adjust to new gearing and or stance change. even after hitting refresh from armory. Is there a better way to get it to change faster so I dont have to wait hours to a day to fix said stats ?For instance I know how to change the gear by clicking it and changing it to the new gear via the list, but it took 24 hours after I used valor points to upgrade the item lvl on some of the gear, for it to show the change.

Ive never had this issue personally if i log out of WoW to refresh the armory then hit the Update from armory button my gear shows up exactly what i logged out in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Ok that means target changes from boss/mobs to players. Vuhdo addon doesn't always send the heal or ability where it supposed to go unless I click the players icon, No telling how many times I've applied a power on a tank and it went to me instead.

I had healbot and it seemed to send the power to the right person, then they upgraded it and now it does the same as Vuhdo. meaning some of the extra powers I keep in my tool bar, and apply them separately because of the addon glitches

Is there a more reliable addon for dgns and raids ?
Reply Quote
Personally I use Clique along with ElvUI (which has its own raid frames) and have never had a problem with a spell not going on the person i intend for it to hit. Clique works well with any raid frames so a complete UI replacement like I use isnt necessary but I found that ElvUI gives me the information I need.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/11/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Edimonk
Personally I use Clique along with ElvUI (which has its own raid frames) and have never had a problem with a spell not going on the person i intend for it to hit. Clique works well with any raid frames so a complete UI replacement like I use isnt necessary but I found that ElvUI gives me the information I need.

Thank you, with the way this monk heals, via melee and spells. I need a reliable heals addon, that will send the ability to the right person even if I use the ability from the tool bar. However I am beginning to like this monk less and less. To much to do while trying to keep everyone healed, and then try to stay out of aoe dmg, then stop melee to target ranged that aren't in melee heals range. it just makes more work for me than I want in a game, that's supposed to be fun. I still may take this toon dps, and build my shammy. We already deal with lag when in high action areas, then to have to do double work all at the same time is insane.

After changing my heals style to the way this monk is supposed to heal, rather than from a distance. yes my healing did increase, but at the same time I was having to stand in deadly pools to stay in melee, or heal a ranged to do those eminence heals, while the deadly pools formed at my feet, having to stop and move, thus not healing during that time. Then on top of it all, having to make sure to use certain abilities during all this, to create mana tea, to replenish mana stores. Just to much work. If I want to do melee I will use my fury warrior, unholy dk. or pally.

Then we have those tanks that don't understand the MW monk's healing style and yells, screams and act like a 3 year old saying that "healers aren't supposed to do melee" and vote kicks. Then on top of it ALL, people/ranged in raids that don't have enough sense to stack together so that us healers of any class can easily aoe heal them.

I truly liked this monk at first but the more I find out about it's abilities, I think I personally would do much better healing with a caster
Edited by Zenfoo on 2/11/2013 8:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I don't understand the trouble with being in melee for pve, and you're certainly not the only one to complain about it. I've pretty much always been a caster, and it seemed daunting at first because everyone says you have to avoid things in melee. Then I realized that isn't true at all. I have to avoid just as much stuff on my priest.

The only thing I see that is different is that there are more graphics happening with all the aoe spells from parties/raids used on the bosses. I solved that by turning them down from ultra, now it's a lot less harsh on the eyes. As for avoiding things like aoe puddles, that doesn't happen any more so in raids than at ranged. I can think of one dungeon that drops harsh puddles on the melee, but any tank worth his salt is going to move that trash out of the puddles.

Anyway, I think it's sad you put a lot of work into the monk just to quit it, but the fun factor is subjective. So while I don't understand how it's not fun, it's perfectly fine for you to think so.

Oh and for those tanks or anyone else saying stuff to you like that, simply answer back to them that they are a frickin moron and if they feel like kicking you for their own stupidity, you'd rather not waste your time with them anyway. That's only happened to me once though, and I was lvl 15-16 or so. Some feral druid went running around away from the tank pulling whatever he wanted and then !@#$%ed at me for not healing. Well... he was healing, but had to heal himself since I wasn't going to go running after a derpy dps. I posted the healing meters, and while I wasn't using soothing mists, I was still healing everyone else. Eventually he chilled out and ran with the group.

Regarding targeting, mouseovers, either made with your own macros, or using clique (i have same set up as Edimonk) is the only way to be effective as a monk. I had that discussion with my RL / hpally and told him he'd never be able to play monk since he likes to click targets and heal. He knows mouseovers are faster, but he's used to doing it that way and it's never really been a problem for him since he's got good awareness. I honestly don't know how healbot and vudoo can actually work, but never used them on my priest either.
Reply Quote
02/12/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Habreberry
I honestly don't know how healbot and vudoo can actually work, but never used them on my priest either.

Vuhdo and healbot work basically the same as clique except that they have a raid frame replacement as well as the click to cast function.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]