RP and Professions

85 Undead Rogue
So, my character is starting off slow in the world of Azeroth (and me in RP) and I have a few quick questions on the etiquette of using professions while in RP mode.

- Is it generally acceptable, if you are a gatherer, to sell your goods in the AH or should it be done strictly as a vendor?
-- If done as a vendor, is it acceptable to post your sales pitch on Trade chat?

Maybe some of you could give an example about your character's role as a merchant and I can go from there.

Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
RP wise, i'd say selling either way is fine. and RP sales pitches are always made in trade chat from what i see on moon guard.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Unless your character has an aversion to the free market, I can't see how utilizing the AH would be inappropriate for RP. The AH is part of the game world.

As far as using trade chat to sell your wares, I generally take more notice of RP pitches than anything else, and would probably be more inclined to patronize you for doing so.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
As long as it fits your defined role, hawking your wares as a gatherer isn't much different than hawking your wares as a crafter. Even though I don't play on an RP server, my (now very retired) Rogue used to use RP sales pitches for everything she offered: Lockpicking, Herbs, and Potions. I'd say they got noticed more than basic "WTS [Fadeleaf]x120, less than AH pst"
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Monk
So essentially RP servers are Amish?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
02/11/2013 09:43 PMPosted by Funkymonkee

I don't think anyone said anything even close to that.
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Monk
02/11/2013 09:48 PMPosted by Monmonn

I'm just wondering why anyone would be averse to using the AH on RP.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

They're not. He's asking about how to do it while roleplaying and whether the AH is part of roleplaying.
Edited by Monmonn on 2/11/2013 9:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Monk

They're not. He's asking about how to do it while roleplaying and whether the AH is part of roleplaying.

If that were the case, they would not have an AH for RP servers.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

If that were the case, they would not have an AH for RP servers.

Now you're getting it. That's why people answered talking about why it is acceptable.

This is the new player forum. People come here to get help with their questions. When it comes to roleplay servers things can be done very differently so It's completely understandable to ask about things like the auction house.
Edited by Monmonn on 2/11/2013 10:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You can absolutely do an in-character ad for your wares in Trade Chat on an RP server, although on most RP servers Trade is considered out of character, so you may not get in-character responses to such an ad. (But others will probably get a kick out of it! A good hook to Trade chat ads can help sell goods!)

You also might want to look into either your realm forums or find out if there's an informational site for roleplayers on your realm. On my realm, for example, we have an in-character "market" alliance side once per month. Find out if there's such an event on your realm, because you might enjoy that. :)

But overall, if you prefer, you can conduct your business the same as you would on a non-RP realm, just putting items up for auction on the AH and it's perfectly cromulent.
Edited by Honorata on 2/12/2013 3:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/11/2013 09:43 PMPosted by Funkymonkee

^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]