Offspec healing - no idea what I'm doing

85 Pandaren Monk
So I made my offspec healing since the gear was pretty much falling into my lap. My main is a resto druid so I figured it'd be easy enough to learn.

Nope.
I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I have to melee? How do you melee & switch targets to heal? How do you not go OOM?

Ah mah god help me.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bDgr2RPldjk/T8FSlTDnxJI/AAAAAAAABQA/Ycsn1EZWtL0/s1600/a980a3d1_I_Have_No_Idea_What_I_m_Doing.jpeg
Reply Quote
87 Pandaren Monk
Healing while meleeing is a lot easier if you use mouseover macros. That way, you can use your heals on your party/raid without having to change your target.

You don't _have_ to melee, strictly speaking, but you'll be most effective if you do. That said, it's probably easier to get used to healing at range first so as to not totally overwhelm you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Healing while meleeing is a lot easier if you use mouseover macros. That way, you can use your heals on your party/raid without having to change your target.

You don't _have_ to melee, strictly speaking, but you'll be most effective if you do. That said, it's probably easier to get used to healing at range first so as to not totally overwhelm you.

Erm...
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Seems like monk would be a mandatory for some kind of healbot. I use vuhdo but still don't fully understand the spec.

As far as I know, jab to get your chi, try to keep your two blackout kick buffs up and tiger palm for ur instant cast. uplift to spend chi, keep renewing mists off cd(aka spam) and use that thunder focus tea for a boosted uplift. That's really raid healing, for tank use enveloping mists more......

Then again I haven't even ran a heroic with the spec so I could be wrong. Doesn't seem to be alot of straight answers out there, either its a secret or no one really knows what they are doing exactly. I don't like the necessity of meleeing so went back to my resto sham for a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's ok I have no clue either. Been running lfr as healer looking at recount to see what other mistweavers cast and how much it they are doing. Icy-veins has some good info but I struggle putting it all into practice.

Keeping up buffs, dodging melee damage and mana management. I definatley am not bored. But I suck at monk healing period.

Edit: and I use grid with clique and totally thing mouse over macros would be so much better. I need to experiment.
Edited by Zadizen on 2/11/2013 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
It depends on the situation. If it's a low damage fight for anyone but the tanks, fistweaving is super effective (at the moment). If most of what you're doing involves LFR, there are a LOT of lazy dps in there (and some lazy healers too) so it's often a better idea to hang back and heal. Keep renewing mists up on CD, anticipate heavy damage with TFT, Uplift the crap outta your raid in heavy damage situations, and save revival for emergencies (a well-timed TFT -> Uplift x2 -> Chi Brew -> Uplift x2 is also a beautiful thing). If you have nothing to do with your chi, throw enveloping mists on the tanks. Try not to use SCK too much (its a heavy mana drainer).

Mouseover macros are an amazing tool to use as a monk healer, btw. I have ReM macro'd to my left click, and everything else (which is to say Soothing Mists, Enveloping Mists and Chi Burst/Wave) to my mouseover target.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Don't try to melee heal when you are first learning. Channel soothing mists, practice putting down healing spheres directly on players taking damage, use your enveloping mists, renewing mists, uplift. Master those then think about melee healing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]