Monk Leveling Help

90 Troll Druid
Hello,
I've been leveling my monk, so far from level 15, purely by tank grinding dungeons. However, this has recently begun to slow, even with heirlooms, so I am wondering about the fastest way to level in the opinion of the general population.

Option 1: Tank grind ques all the way to 80, then quest to 90

Option 2: Quest all the way to 90 from 45

Option 3: Tank dungeons while questing, but only do each dungeon once for the quests, then leave any subsequent ques that give you that dungeon.

So far I'm thinking option 3 will be the fastest, but I'm not sure since I have full BOA's (increases my dungeon xp total by quite a bit as well as my ability to pull more mobs faster). Does anyone who's leveled to 90 on a monk so far have any input on this, because I really don't know how fast questing and such goes for monks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Are you getting your daily one hour buff of +50% XP ?
Reply Quote
Personally i found that dping dungeons while questing was fastest. Dps queues are longer then tank queues are so it allows a little more time between dungeons for quests to be completed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Wow. This is going to come across as me being a jerk, and it really isn't... much...

But it truly astonishes me that people can actually complain about how slow leveling is now. It was already fast in Wrath, and since Cata & MoP it's even faster.

But, for my two cents, questing is by far faster to level. If you want to grind dungeons for the experience of tanking as Brewmaster, by all means, but it will not be your fastest method.

Once you get Zen Pilgrimage at lvl 20 (he's only 15 Poke... so he can't get that buff yet) make sure you visit the summit and do the daily once every day for the buff Poke was referring to. Quest from now till 56 as Brewmaster. You will have a larger toolkit of damage abilities and more durability. Switch to Windwalker (dual spec yo) at 56 when you get Rising Sun Kick and ask "Where is your god now" as you rip through quests like butter.

Levelling LFD is slower than quests and you should be able to kill mobs stupidly fast with heirloom gear.

And yes, option 3 is your best option.
Reply Quote
I started this toon out by doing dungeons as DPS and questing in between. I eventually got irritated having to constantly move zones for questing because I would only get about 20 quests in before I out-leveled them (for some reason DPS queue for me is usually 2 minutes or less), so I just went back to straight questing. I find it much smoother, faster, and the flow of gold going into my bag is an added plus. I don't think I'll ever waste my time doing a dungeon again on any of my alts in the future.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Wow. This is going to come across as me being a jerk, and it really isn't... much...

But it truly astonishes me that people can actually complain about how slow leveling is now. It was already fast in Wrath, and since Cata & MoP it's even faster.

But, for my two cents, questing is by far faster to level. If you want to grind dungeons for the experience of tanking as Brewmaster, by all means, but it will not be your fastest method.

Once you get Zen Pilgrimage at lvl 20 (he's only 15 Poke... so he can't get that buff yet) make sure you visit the summit and do the daily once every day for the buff Poke was referring to. Quest from now till 56 as Brewmaster. You will have a larger toolkit of damage abilities and more durability. Switch to Windwalker (dual spec yo) at 56 when you get Rising Sun Kick and ask "Where is your god now" as you rip through quests like butter.

Levelling LFD is slower than quests and you should be able to kill mobs stupidly fast with heirloom gear.

And yes, option 3 is your best option.

I disagree when it comes to the monk. While I was levelling mine, I did it as a Brewmaster. I was outlevelling dungeons while I was in them and was able to stack up multiple stacks of the XP buff. Remember, every ten levels a non-repeatable quest that awards the buff unlocks. Turn in that quest and you get access to a new daily that is different from the one from the previous ten levels, so they don't go on cooldown with each other. I found it INCREDIBLY easy to get ten levels with quick queues to ensure that nearly every time the XP buff was about to run out, I had a new non-repeatable and its subsequent daily ready to go.

In comparison, when I quested through the late fifties because I was sick of BRD, I spent most of my time without the buff.
Edited by Meixie on 2/10/2013 11:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Hello,
I've been leveling my monk, so far from level 15, purely by tank grinding dungeons. However, this has recently begun to slow, even with heirlooms, so I am wondering about the fastest way to level in the opinion of the general population.

Option 1: Tank grind ques all the way to 80, then quest to 90

Option 2: Quest all the way to 90 from 45

Option 3: Tank dungeons while questing, but only do each dungeon once for the quests, then leave any subsequent ques that give you that dungeon.

So far I'm thinking option 3 will be the fastest, but I'm not sure since I have full BOA's (increases my dungeon xp total by quite a bit as well as my ability to pull more mobs faster). Does anyone who's leveled to 90 on a monk so far have any input on this, because I really don't know how fast questing and such goes for monks.

I did RAF on my monk however with leveling tank alts I have found that the most efficient ways require a little of outside knowledge, for example:

Upon hitting 15 you level quick regardless, spam dungeons and eventually it gets to the point where you have no dungeons that give you quests, or only one dungeon will, specific queue those since the XP > Random bonus. Like this: If you can get Deadmines, Wailing Caverns, BFD and SFK, but only SFK will give quests, specific queue it.

Tank as a monk until about 50-60 then pick up WW as DPS and continue dungeons, but quest in downtime. Upon hitting 70 you pretty much only get Utgarde Keep which gets repetitive and you'll run it a few times before leveling, I advise questing at this point unless you enjoy repeating things over and over. Once you can get other dungeons, begin queuing for those.

At 80, do BRC most definitely then just quest while specific queuing new dungeons to do the quests, I personally don't find Throne of Tides worth it xp-wise. Same goes for 85-90 since they only give FOUR DUNGEONS. . . 85-90 is quest city though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
FDC
I got this monk from 1-90 in 46hrs 24mins as WW the whole way. Full set of BoAs.

Que for dungeons and grind quests. If you keep getting a dungeon that you have already completed the quests, then drop it, and go back to grinding.

Maximize your daily buff. Get to where you are going to level then ZP. When you ZP back you will be near your starting point and you can get on with it. Dont burn precious minutes traveling.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Dungeon queue at least up until around 54. I found it easiest to just hit up the marsh and blasted lands to grind out those last four levels. The dungeons give crap XP and those are the longer dungeons that people get lost in. Not worth doing.

In BC do most of the hellfire quests for greens (will need them to tank). By then you should have a good 4-6 dungeons to run. Knock each one out selectively to do the quests. Forget random grouping. Just pick an instance and go. Can easily do dungeons all the way up to 68, though I recommend around 65 skipping to Nagrand and knocking all those out. As a BRM spec you just pull like 12+ mobs and AOE grind them down. Fast levels. More fun than dealing with groups.

In Wrath, same deal. Get enough greens to not be super squishy in dungeons. Knock out the dungeons. Find some filler zones. I tend to find that around 75 is when you want to switch to quests. Do the level 75+ zones (e.g. Zul'Drak up to 78, Storm Peaks up to 79, then Icrecrown up to 80). Pretty fast levels.

For Cata I suggest you have a WW off-spec and just grind through Hyjal and Deepholm. Avoid dungeons like the plague. If you do join, go as DPS and let some other poor sap have fun healing and/or tanking the instance. Not worth it, IMO. DPS tend to be all over the place. Damage is so high healers will find themselves struggling to keep people up for the first time. General headaches ensue. Questing is by far the easier route.

For MOP, make sure you do enough of the starter quests to get to the Jinyu village, then buy all the iLvl 372 gear you don't already have. Do the dungeons as often as needed to do the quests and get the gear then do quests in between. You can grind dungeons all the way up to 90, but it is really, really slow. Did that on my paladin due to no DPS spec. Do not recommend it on a monk. Just switch to WW and zoom zoom through the quests. Easy as pie.
Reply Quote
Fastest way is by doing RaF with a second account with which you make a healer. Make a tank on your main account and use a voice-control program to control your healer as you grind dungeons.

Getting to 80 takes less than a day.

That's how I did it, anyway. I now have a level 80+ of each class.
Reply Quote
87 Pandaren Monk
Go option 3, I use it on all my toons except the healers. Replace it with DPS also an option. If you keep running dungeons, it'll burn you out very quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Yes, I realize it's much faster. I'm just wondering on which the fastest route is, since it is more levels to get through, and I'd like to hopefully get to 90 on or before the 5.2 patch, so I can start getting some gear without falling too far behind.

Fastest way is by doing RaF with a second account with which you make a healer. Make a tank on your main account and use a voice-control program to control your healer as you grind dungeons.

Getting to 80 takes less than a day.

That's how I did it, anyway. I now have a level 80+ of each class.

This seems promising, and would allow me to level a pure dps class without feeling like I have to quest a lot. Could you possibly tell me what voice-control program you used, and how something like that would work? It's more tempting with the big discounts on the xpacks, but can you send heirlooms from account 1 on your bnet account to account 2 on the same bnet account? Otherwise it seems like I would quickly outlevel the second account.

For Cata I suggest you have a WW off-spec and just grind through Hyjal and Deepholm. Avoid dungeons like the plague. If you do join, go as DPS and let some other poor sap have fun healing and/or tanking the instance. Not worth it, IMO. DPS tend to be all over the place. Damage is so high healers will find themselves struggling to keep people up for the first time. General headaches ensue. Questing is by far the easier route.

For MOP, make sure you do enough of the starter quests to get to the Jinyu village, then buy all the iLvl 372 gear you don't already have. Do the dungeons as often as needed to do the quests and get the gear then do quests in between. You can grind dungeons all the way up to 90, but it is really, really slow. Did that on my paladin due to no DPS spec. Do not recommend it on a monk. Just switch to WW and zoom zoom through the quests. Easy as pie.

I remember joining a dungeun que with my druid as a tank for the first time (I was 75 when Cata came out) and wiping 3 times in a row on the first boss after all of wrath and BC being faceroll instances. Those mobs are tuned crazy high in there. MoP, I agree that the dungeons are much slower xp, since I also did mostly questing, but isn't it faster to quest as brewmaster to pull a lot more mobs at once? I had just gone from 45 to 50 in felwood that way, and it only took a couple of hours when I could pull all the mobs for a quest at once.

I guess my only question remaining here is whether or not it's worth it to use RaF, and how one would go about multiboxing like that since I've never tried it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I quested while waiting in Q for dungeons. (I was a WW so I had a good while in between Q pops) I found that specific Qing for dungeons I hadn't done yet yielded much more EXP with the quests available at the start of the instance than random Q. Full heirlooms and the monk buff from the daily quest available around 25ish for +50% EXP would get me somewhere near a level or more per 15-20 min dungeon. Random Q will only let you do the same few dungeons you're in level range of and repeating the same one even once gets extremely boring.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]