I want to Roleplay a Dark Iron Dwarf?

86 Night Elf Rogue
What class would be best for the role?

Can anyone give me a link to info like how they feel about other Dwarves and races ETC.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
For Dark Iron, paladins are right out. Priests are also probably less common. Shaman would typically be of the subjugating type, which would get them in hot water with other shaman. I'd be most inclined to say warriors, hunters (riflemen), rogues, and mages would fit the Dark Iron best, and they're probably not as much opposed to warlocks as other Alliance races, either. Dark Irons like power, and they don't much care where it comes from.

The Dark Iron pretty openly resent the other dwarf clans for defeating them in the War of the Three Hammers, which led to their subsequent enslavement under Ragnaros when they tried to summon him to smite their cousins. They would likely hate orcs, as they've been fighting the Blackrock Clan for control of their mountain for years, and wouldn't be fond of forest trolls or ogres, either, as those races are allied with the Blackrock orcs. We can see gnomes working with the Dark Iron in BRD, so odds are they at least see gnomes as useful if nothing else, and they don't seem to mind goblins when they're not working for the Blackrocks. Most other races the average Dark Iron probably hasn't had much contact with or knowledge of (even though troll and tauren Twilight's Hammer emissaries have been known to visit Shadowforge City), and more recent arrivals to the Eastern Kingdoms like the draenei and worgen may not even be known to them, but it's a safe bet that a Dark Iron would look down (so to speak) on any other race as inferior.

Personally, I RP my Dark Iron as a mage with an Ironforge grandmother. She's very haughty and has a lot of self-importance despite her relative youth and inexperience, and sees other races as inferior, though she's at least self-aware enough to keep a lid on the fact, even if she can't help letting her prejudices slip into conversation once in a while. As a follower of Moira's half of the Dark Iron political rift, she believes that playing with fire has been the root of all her peoples' woes, which is why she shuns fire magic and embraced a frost specialization.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
Are you sure a priest wouldn't be accepted isn't Moira a priest?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
02/11/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Starelyia
Are you sure a priest wouldn't be accepted isn't Moira a priest?

Moira's a dark iron by marriage, if I recall, not by birth. I'd imagine such a detail would be important.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Dark magic, and of course the general cold steel type classes. This may be helpful for you:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Dark_Iron_clan

I have one who is a shaman - obviously not normal for a Dark Iron, but he is sent to learn what this magic is about. It is like corporate espionage, with the spied upon process being elemental magic. Earth... Fire... Yes, the Dark Irons can use this.

Locks are enjoying a day in the sun right now. I'd look real close at them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
02/11/2013 03:57 AMPosted by Sharkon
For Dark Iron, paladins are right out

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=8898
Reply Quote
26 Night Elf Hunter
Could you play one as a Shadow Priest?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/11/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Volkuza
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=8898

Well, that's a rather glaring oversight on my part then, isn't it?

Still, I get the feeling that they'd be less common. The Dark Irons seem to have less cultural use for the Light than their Ironforge cousins.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/11/2013 05:14 PMPosted by Elderhunter
Could you play one as a Shadow Priest?

I don't see why not - especially when they are delightfully described as "sorcerous".
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Paladins would be rare as most Dark irons revere Ragnaros, A paladin must have un-wavering faith in the light.

Dark irons most likely would be warriors, rogues, mages and warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd think conflicting race-spec combos would be the most interesting to role-play (holy Undead, DK Draenei, Dark Iron Paladin, Goblin Shaman); it's a great way to make your character unique, and provides some pretty interesting character conflict.

Is your Dark Iron Paladin just discovering the light? How does he find the faith to use the light? Does it come from a righteous hatred of what he endured in dark-iron society, or a feeling of indignation for the hatred of the dark irons among most Dwarves? Is he trying to prove Dark Irons aren't as corrupt as people say they are? How did he learn about the light, and what inspired him to take up the hammer? Who taught him? Maybe a dwarf with a soft side for the Dark Iron, or maybe a kindly Draenei or Human?

So many options. Goblin Shamans would be especially interesting to role-play.
Edited by Daecher on 2/11/2013 9:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/11/2013 09:42 PMPosted by Daecher

Shamanism and goblins aren't as opposite a pair as many people seem to think. Shamanism is already largely about making deals and partnerships with elementals in exchange for their power; goblins just get the terms of theirs in writing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Paladins would be rare as most Dark irons revere Ragnaros, A paladin must have un-wavering faith in the light.

Dark irons most likely would be warriors, rogues, mages and warlocks.

I would add only shadow priests. I think these would be the most likely, and that the Dark irons would be very hide bound too. Exceptions would be rare.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/11/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Sharkon

Shamanism and goblins aren't as opposite a pair as many people seem to think. Shamanism is already largely about making deals and partnerships with elementals in exchange for their power; goblins just get the terms of theirs in writing.
I agree. I think the main difference between Goblins and other shamans are how they approach shamanism. Goblins tend to approach it with a business angle, which makes it interesting. Goblin shamans would probably be less of the 'wise elder' stereotype which plagues most shaman RP'ers and be more rash and foolhardy with shamanism. Which is why I think they'd be a blast to rp ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
the first post hit it right on the nail, Black iron dwarfs are more like Orcs. In the lore they are gifted with more Rock skin then the bronzes beards but they are less magical to that point as well. So most common Black iron Dwarfs are Warrors, rouges and hunters, less common are ones who uses magic and none of them really have any power of the light with them.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/12/2013 03:12 AMPosted by Anitaroth
the first post hit it right on the nail, Black iron dwarfs are more like Orcs. In the lore they are gifted with more Rock skin then the bronzes beards but they are less magical to that point as well. So most common Black iron Dwarfs are Warrors, rouges and hunters, less common are ones who uses magic and none of them really have any power of the light with them.

I thought they pefer magic? That is why we don't get Dwarf mages and warlocks till the Dark Irons were allowed?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/13/2013 12:12 AMPosted by Darmonic
I thought they pefer magic? That is why we don't get Dwarf mages and warlocks till the Dark Irons were allowed?

They certainly are deep into magic. Sorcerer-thane Thaurissan was, well, a sorceror.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/zone/blackrock-depths/emperor-dagran-thaurissan
Here is his caster's staff: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/64489

His predecessors were casters too: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/zone/blackrock-depths/the-seven

Moira appears to be a shadow priest. Now some will say that she is only married into the Dark Irons, and therefore does not count. Obviously those people have never been married and dealt with inlaws. What your inlaws are and do, counts.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/zone/blackrock-depths/emperor-dagran-thaurissan#npc=princess-moira-bronzebeard

Here is a Dark Iron mage:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/zone/blackrock-depths/warder-stilgiss

There is a lot of magic, all of it at least a touch tainted. The Dark Iron dwarves offer a lot to work with. I hope we can finally get their skins right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/12/2013 03:12 AMPosted by Anitaroth
In the lore they are gifted with more Rock skin then the bronzes beards but they are less magical to that point as well.

you got it backwards man. Dark irons are more magic inclined than bronzebeards. The dark irons brought the teachings of warlocks and more understanding of mages to Ironforge.

Bronzebeard dwarves are most in-tune with their titan heritage (especially those who worship the titans and not the light). Bronzebeard dwarves are known for their ability to call upon titan ancestry to turn their skin to living stone, some even iron.

Think of the dwarf races this way

Bronzebeard = classic honroable- warrior/hunter preferring dwarves
Dark irons- Sneaky sorcerous dwarves
Wildhammers - weird hippie flying dwarves.
Edited by Drewan on 2/13/2013 5:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
This character is a Dark Iron shadow priest. I play her as a recovering ex-Twilight Cultist.

In general, they're pretty xenophobic and distrustful of everyone else. They're new to the Alliance and pretty ill-at-ease with the whole arrangement. Especially with everyone looking at them sideways.

Dark Irons are quite comfortable with magic and fun to play. In case you haven't taken a look, check out http://www.wowpedia.org/Dark_Iron_clan Very helpful stuff!
Edited by Strigine on 2/15/2013 2:04 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]