Tab Target Sucks...

90 Tauren Warrior
I don't know exactly when it changed, as in specifically what patch, nor do I know exactly what Blizzard did to it, but sometime between Wrath and MoP, tab-target got really, really bad.

I used to just be able to tank/dps till a mob was at 10%ish, tab to the guy next to him, and repeat. but now.... Hitting tab switches to some random unpulled mob across the room, the mob just out of melee range, or to the CC'd mob to my extreme left that's barely in the camera's view. Anything but the guy right in front of me.

Tab target worked so well in BC. wtf happened? I can't see any real pattern as to why it picks the mobs it does. It's not going from left to right or vice versa, it's not cycling from nearest to farthest. the selection appears to be completely random.
Edited by Stoneblade on 2/11/2013 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
IIRC, tab-target used to be a "target next enemy in front of you." Now it's a "target next enemy within a huge radius and run through them like a list."

I think it was changed when people complained they were mashing tab and they'd never hit certain mobs in melee because of how they were positioned. Now you'll always hit all the enemies, but how it PICKS those enemies is a little... wonky.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Uh, then why is it that tab seems to always pick anything BUT the guys in front of me? Like the cc'd casters 60 yards away? I tab like 5-7 times before it gets to the mob I want.
Edited by Stoneblade on 2/11/2013 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes, because it goes through all the monsters in the area, instead of just the ones near you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
It's worse now than it was. Change it back.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
The issue stems from the method by which that list of targets gets populated. Rather than ordering the list by proximity, ...well who knows how it's actually being ordered to be honest. By entity ID creation time? *shrug* Black Magic. Whatever.

Mostly I could live with it if it was based off of the camera's field of view. Unfortunately, it uses the character's field of view, which makes it approximately useless. I don't turn my character to look at things off screen, anymore than I turn them to keep track of action nearby. I TURN MY CAMERA.

Where my character is looking is almost always a static function (I try to avoid ***-tanking as it is sometimes referred to as), being me largely facing my target(s). I can't change that without them and/or I getting outside my engagement cone (AKA ***-tanking, "The target must be in front of you" etc etc).

But the camera is free to look where ever I need to direct my focus. "Interestingly", this small reality check has masterfully managed to evade Blizzard developers for...years.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/11/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Feandel
Black Magic.

Hell yeah
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It feels to me like it tries to pick the enemy directly in front of you...as in, the one closest to an exact straight line from your character's center. Like, if there are two enemies attacking in front of you, but your character is looking between them, it will pick the enemy that's 30 yards away but directly in front of you. And then if you tab again it will start randomly picking from anything in your character's field of vision.

Of course, I'm probably wrong, but that's how it feels. I don't even bother to tab target anymore. I click nameplates if at all possible.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Stoneblade
It's worse now than it was. Change it back.

You seem to be mistaking me for a developer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I wasn't doing any such thing. I was addressing the Blizzard devs reading this. I'd do it myself. I'm a pretty competent software dev myself. But then I'd be breaking Blizzard's TOS and stuff... Sigh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
get an addon called Tidy Plates with the skin Threat Plates.

one of the reasons i love it so much is it pretty much gets around all the tab target mess. Just click any name plate that is anything but small and green and taunt it/smack it/tank it and keep on rollin.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I can't tell you how many people were crying early in The Old Republic, saying their tab-target system sucked, and to change it to WoW's. They were identical, and by design. Lol.

Anyway, my problem with tab-targetting is the fact that it doesn't change targets until I hit it the second time. I wish I knew why this is happening, so I could fix it.

In ToR, I could use the camera to mostly dictate which target would be chosen next, but that does not seem to work here. I mostly click-target nowadays, and I have my good and bad days with it.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
get an addon called Tidy Plates with the skin Threat Plates.

one of the reasons i love it so much is it pretty much gets around all the tab target mess. Just click any name plate that is anything but small and green and taunt it/smack it/tank it and keep on rollin.

Funny you should mention that. I've had Tidy Plates for a long time, but just used it as a theme and never really set it up to show threat since I had Omen already. But now that I've taken your suggestion and done so, tabbing through and looking at Omen seems... Archaic.
Edited by Stoneblade on 2/12/2013 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

/cleartarget
/targetenemy
/startattack

You might get fancy and add in some [help] [dead] [noexist] conditions, but this is the basics of my targeting macro. It essentially targets the nearest enemy directly in front of your camera. I have gotten very good at tilting the camera to select enemies behind the first rank, though it takes a lot of practice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you've ever played any other mmos, you'd know how much of a blessing the WoW tab targeting is. I mean seriously, some games will think you want the guy 20 ft behind you off screen.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Tidy plates threat plates, with high agro mobs being a small green box, 90-110% threat being a yellow box, and not having threat be a large red box, Most 5 man tanking, I usually single target any yellow boxes while my aoe takes care of anything that's greened, and I can mouseover taunt anything red.

It gets slightly annoying on 2 tank fights, but if it's a single target boss, I don't run anything target plates, because LOLTHREAT
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
02/11/2013 05:27 PMPosted by Stoneblade
I wasn't doing any such thing. I was addressing the Blizzard devs reading this. I'd do it myself. I'm a pretty competent software dev myself. But then I'd be breaking Blizzard's TOS and stuff... Sigh.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=130000V

[e] There's a better thread that I can't find that is more pertinent, but http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7861806227?page=8#145
Edited by Kangamooster on 2/15/2013 5:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
In many cases you can tank the pack to where you are facing a wall or away from the center of the room and it will help with this. You will still sometimes tab target onto things that are a few yards out of range, but it helps with reducing the targeting things in packs you haven't pulled yet that are 30 yards away.
Reply Quote

/cleartarget
/targetenemy
/startattack

You might get fancy and add in some [help] [dead] [noexist] conditions, but this is the basics of my targeting macro. It essentially targets the nearest enemy directly in front of your camera. I have gotten very good at tilting the camera to select enemies behind the first rank, though it takes a lot of practice.

Holy !@#$, thank you. It is so frustrating having to try to click someone in front of you who's attacking you in PvP instead of being able to just target them, since this game's targeting system (even if better than in other games) is embarrassingly bad.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Yep, noticed this too and it made me quite sad. It was so amazingly well done in wow before, no other MMO's came close. Maybe to expensive to maintain?

And I think warlocks' Harvest Life is tied into it as well. That thing goes through walls, around corners, behind you so bad it cracks me up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]