Ahhh yes,.. Vanilla pets.

If you played hunter bout 6-8 years ago then you will understand exactly where I am coming from,..

Leveling the pet with you, actually meant you leveling before it then it catching up, hitting 60 you were not done yet cus your pet was 59 still! Taming a new pet meant a good while of it playing catch-up.

Training abilities,.. yes training all those new abilities for yourself and having to relearn abils just stronger and better, then turning to that random guy next to hunter trainer who went by the associated "pet trainer" and then having him train your pet in new abilities!

Happiness Meter and Friendship Status.... having to keep a stock of food and in some cases specific food just to keep your pet plump and happy, having that green box face saying that your pet is doing 125% dmg and is feeling good! Always worrying about keeping your pet away from the red face, as you might lose a friendship rank! Doing just about everything to keep your pet alive so it stays happy, and then getting TO'd by any noob who went for the kill on your pet in a duel. I don't think I have EVER lost a pet due to happiness loss, but I sure know we ALL worried about that!

Good old Vanilla days,.. these things may have sucked but somehow I miss them...

And btw, how many of you still have that pet from those days? And if so was it a special tame? What was the pet? For me it was Rak'shiri, who I obviously named Rakshiri, and have relied on him on my original hunter and every hunter alt and this one ever since!
Edited by Khazvall on 2/11/2013 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Vanilla and BC were more exciting times for hunters indeed...
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Zolid
Vanilla and BC were more exciting times for hunters indeed...

That they were,.. I was pro BM up till season 3 came out, where skill>gear died, ever since then a hunter has yet to step up as my main again, however I am looking forward to this one doing just that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
thinking back on my days as a hunter I have considered leveling mine again.. the new elite rare pets are to fun to try to pass up
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I was there. I remember.

It sucked and I don't miss it. Three stable slots (really only two because you had to be able to learn pet skills), feeding, loyalty, just...ugh. And choice? Forget it, it was cat or GTFO. Compared to now, pet design really blew.

I do, however, still have my Rak'shiri from level 57. Griever, you're not going anywhere, no matter how full my stable gets.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I was there. I remember.

It sucked and I don't miss it. Three stable slots (really only two because you had to be able to learn pet skills), feeding, loyalty, just...ugh. And choice? Forget it, it was cat or GTFO. Compared to now, pet design really blew.

pretty much this
Reply Quote
I was there. I remember.

I do, however, still have my Rak'shiri from level 57. Griever, you're not going anywhere, no matter how full my stable gets.

Ahh but the real Q is do you ever use him still?

Rak'shiri helped lead me, not meaning to brag, to be considered by many best hunter on my home realm as far as wpvp/1v1 went. To example, taking on a full season 2 hunter in just greens and like 2-3blues if i recall, bout 7-10 duels in row(he heard of me and was pissed off bout someone else claiming I was best or one of the best on realm) But of course that was all wpvp/random pvp and BGs, I was NEVER a fan of arenas so I don't mean to claim that from back then etc. Either way he helped me a SH!T ton in being good as a very rare pet, took me 1-2 weeks to get him, and you can say having grown a hunter to pet bond in-game, I still plan to use him even in PVP.

I do agree it sucked,..badly, however i somehow miss parts of it, just the tediousness I guess.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
02/11/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Kathrian
PUT YOUR DAMN PET AWAY THE TANK DIED CAUSE YOUR PET CAUSED A PARRY said every MC raid leader.

Tank shouldn't have had the boss facing the range. Back then, pet's didn't auto-adjust to the back, the sat on the closest point from their current position, to the edge of the bosses hit box.

Okay...so a hunter could have been in the bosses front too...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I still have what was the only Black Wolf... from LBRS. Still have him and still use him.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Melix
I still have what was the only Black Wolf... from LBRS. Still have him and still use him.

very nice!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I have a panther that I believe is from vanilla. My bear pet that I tamed first in vanilla was probably released for a gorilla back when we had only 3 slots. I have however re-tamed a dun morogh wolf in remembrance of my wolf and bear from those times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
PUT YOUR DAMN PET AWAY THE TANK DIED CAUSE YOUR PET CAUSED A PARRY said every MC raid leader.

Like it mattered. Most of the time your pet died from aoe anyways.

My first pet was a brown wolf from Westfall. This character was alliance in vanilla. I traveled to Westfall from Darnassus since I was a night elf. When I went back to the Dark Shore people wondered where I got the thing.
Edited by Redupilous on 2/11/2013 7:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 07:52 PMPosted by Redupilous
When I went back to the Dark Shore people wondered where I got the thing.

Lol, nice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
This nostalgia for arrows and food is misplaced.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
And I just remembered something. This was in Burning Crusade, but given what I'm about to say it's close enough. I was one of the lucky/determined ones that tamed a Dustwallow Ghost Wolf...and then had to level it up.

From 30 to 70.

Dear christ that took a long time, and was awkward as get-out because I was used to my pet at least nominally tanking mobs for me.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

Or how about this memory :

"Ok guys time to fight Golemagg. We are skipping trash. Everyone drop down and healers immediately heal as the tank pulls. Hunter? **hunter replying : Yes?"
Raid Leader : Where is your pet?
Hunter : Dont worry he'll be here in a minute...

Next thing you know here comes every mob from the trash near the bridge where the raid jumped down into the room with the several groups of adds the pet aggroed as it came back to its owner."

**Raid Wipe**
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Snarler from Feralas, the jet black wolf, i still have from lvl 36 and use as one of my acivte pets.
Back then it was on an 8 hour spawn timer and was stealthed. It also came with +100 to all resists but that was removed a few patches in. with a few resist buffs it was lol against casters in bgs.

As much as i liked the loyalty and happiness thing i still think it was the right decision to remove them when they did.

Eyes of the beast though, well thats another story...and aggresive stance :P

@ Melix. the lbrs one was one of the worgs, i didnt like those. wernt mean looking enough >:)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/11/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Ziarre

@ OP and this, I have mine too!! :D Maysa. Mah amazing pet. Use her all the time. (Yes, I made my Rak a girl lol). Had BT too.

I miss the good ol' days... But I remember them nostalgically. I know that 2 stables slots now would suck, and same with leveling pet abilities, and pets, individually. I still find myself wanting to make my pet stay as I run away rather than dismissing it xD

I miss pet loyalty and happiness sooo much though.

Everything about Vanilla, you were actually involved with your pet, and it DID seem like your boon companion. Not so much anymore :/

Also, I still feed my pet. Lol
Edited by Paksanarian on 2/12/2013 3:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Yea I know exactly what you mean OP.
My first ever character was a troll hunter and I tamed a tiger from the starting zone.
Tiger is my favorite cat.
That character is long gone, but couple of years ago I made another troll hunter, of course had to get the same tiger. Now I started playing again, transfered him to alliance and hes a dwarf now, but my cat is still with me.
We've been through so much together I really don't feel like getting any other pets at all. Even my stable is empty.

Its funny how all the hunters are crying that its hard to get a spirit beast and they want one. Its supposed to be "unique", but is it really? Every other hunter I see has a spirit beast. Its like emos kids trying to be unique but ending up all looking the same.
Now when I see a hunter with a vanilla pet it really catches my attention.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]