Minimum amount of DPS for MSV 10m normal?

90 Troll Druid
My guild has just started raiding again, and for the 2nd week in a row I didn't get accepted into the team. When my GM and I met at a training dummy, I was doing 48k, peaking at 53k dps. I was kinda disappointed when he said he couldn't take me because of my low dps, and I was wondering if he was correct about me having low dps. Basically, what is the minimum amount of dps each person needs to pull to clear the first 3 bosses?

Edit: Sorry! I forgot I was in my pvp gear (it still sucks tho)!
Edited by Fatzert on 2/11/2013 6:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
If your GM is screening the raid team based on dummy DPS, that isn't a guild you want to be in.

That being said, 53k is a tad low, but buffs also make a significant difference.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
53 is good for a target dummy. If everyone does 50 on a boss you'll clear MV.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Your GM probably isn't looking for the minimum DPS. Your performance could definitely be improved by a few heroic 463 upgrades, not to mention justice point upgraded blues, as well as enchanting your gear and using a belt buckle. That being said, I think I agree with demolition about being wary of guilds who screen with a target dummy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
If your GM is screening the raid team based on dummy DPS, that isn't a guild you want to be in.

That being said, 53k is a tad low, but buffs also make a significant difference.

this being said, you have unenchanted contenders gear
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
That dps isn't anything awful considering your gear and it being on a dummy thus most likely not raid buffed and I can only assume you weren't well fed or flasked.

Like others said if the GM is basing this off of dummy dps then you should probably find a different group. Your dps really should be more than enough for the first 3 bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
There's quite a few pieces you still have to upgrade from heroic dungeons. Get the gear, enchant the gear, gem the gear.

Do all of the LFR bosses every week. It looks like you've missed AT LEAST one.

I wouldn't bring somebody with your gear to a pug MSV.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
There's quite a few pieces you still have to upgrade from heroic dungeons. Get the gear, enchant the gear, gem the gear.

Do all of the LFR bosses every week. It looks like you've missed AT LEAST one.

I wouldn't bring somebody with your gear to a pug MSV.

It isn't a pug its his guild that has started raiding and the guild isn't even 3/6 regular yet by the looks of it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
02/10/2013 08:48 PMPosted by Hiroran
It isn't a pug its his guild that has started raiding and the guild isn't even 3/6 regular yet by the looks of it.

So they should carry him to content, even though he isn't doing everything he can?

I feel like the standards for a guild are higher than a pug.

I don't know what his guild's progression is, or why that would matter - but isn't it more unlikely that they could carry him through content, if they hadn't yet killed it? Assuming he's pulling less weight than other people already in their raid, which was the implication.
Edited by Daerioz on 2/10/2013 9:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/10/2013 09:04 PMPosted by Daerioz
So they should carry him to content, even though he isn't doing everything he can?

Why do you think he will be carried?

I feel like the standards for a guild are higher than a pug.

In some ways yes, in other ways no. If you know someone is a good player based on previous experience and they are just late to the party this patch/expansion and they are a bit undergeared a guild will still take them since they no its a good investment.

I don't know what his guild's progression is, or why that would matter - but isn't it more unlikely that they could carry him through content, if they hadn't yet killed it? Assuming he's pulling less weight than other people already in their raid, which was the implication.

It matters because you are making the claim that he would be carried. My point is that if the guild is only 2/6 after 2 weeks then he most likely wouldn't be getting carried.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
02/10/2013 09:19 PMPosted by Hiroran
Why do you think he will be carried?

Because that's the determination somebody else already made, with more information about the situation at his disposal. Are they wrong? Possibly. They still have more information than either of us.

02/10/2013 09:19 PMPosted by Hiroran
In some ways yes, in other ways no. If you know someone is a good player based on previous experience and they are just late to the party this patch/expansion and they are a bit undergeared a guild will still take them since they no its a good investment.

Which is obviously not the case here.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/10/2013 09:25 PMPosted by Daerioz
Which is obviously not the case here.

Never said it was, was just pointing out why what you said was wrong.

Because that's the determination somebody else already made, with more information about the situation at his disposal. Are they wrong? Possibly. They still have more information than either of us.

And what if the OP is being 100% honest with what he is saying and the GM doesn't like the fact that he has unenchanted pvp gear while ignoring his dps. Sure he should def enchant his gear and that would be reason enough not to take him but his dps numbers alone, assuming he is telling the truth, are no reason not to take him.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
You're trying too hard, you should read the crap you're endorsing right now.

The Playerbase is Improving.

Rule of thumb, if 10 of said person would not be killing the boss, then they're being carried.
Edited by Postonforums on 2/10/2013 11:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/10/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Postonforums
Rule of thumb, if 10 of said person would not be killing the boss, then they're being carried.

All mages are being carried then?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
You're trying too hard, you should read the crap you're endorsing right now.

The Playerbase is Improving.

So if 1 person is doing 1% less than another in the group then they are being carried?

Your "rule of thumb" doesn't really match up with reality. Also how do you know the rest of the guilds dps isn't any worse? You don't you just have to believe that the guild leader is being honest and they are just 2/6 in 2 weeks for other reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

So if 1 person is doing 1% less than another in the group then they are being carried?

Most likely, yes.

02/11/2013 05:00 AMPosted by Hiroran
Your "rule of thumb" doesn't really match up with reality. Also how do you know the rest of the guilds dps isn't any worse? You don't you just have to believe that the guild leader is being honest and they are just 2/6 in 2 weeks for other reasons.

It probably isn't. That's most likely why the raid leader is looking to change the roster that he's running. You won't be downing Garajal if everyone in the raid is pulling 48k.
Edited by Isiildur on 2/11/2013 5:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/11/2013 05:16 AMPosted by Isiildur
Most likely, yes.

You are really going to judge someone so negatively on a 1% lesser ability?
02/11/2013 05:16 AMPosted by Isiildur
It probably isn't. That's most likely why the raid leader is looking to change the roster that he's running. You won't be downing Garajal if everyone in the raid is pulling 48k.

But he isn't pulling 48k on garajal, he is pulling 48k on a dummy which is a terrible way to determine dps.

My assumption is that the raid leader doesn't like the guys gear so he is just saying no or that he doesn't understand that raid dps on dummies is a bad measure.
Edited by Hiroran on 2/11/2013 5:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

You are really going to judge someone so negatively on a 1% lesser ability?

Yes, I thought I already answered this.

But he isn't pulling 48k on garajal, he is pulling 48k on a dummy which is a terrible way to determine dps.

My assumption is that the raid leader doesn't like the guys gear so he is just saying no or that he doesn't understand that raid dps on dummies is a bad measure.

"Not liking the guys gear" would be a perfectly valid reason not to take him as it is unenchanted. He doesn't have professions, and, although I may be showing my feral naivety, he isn't hit or expertise capped.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Feral iirc doesn't need to be hit/expertise capped except for aoe.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Sorry guys, but when I posted this I still had my pvp gear on. My real gear is about 473ilvl, and I replaced the pvp gear with a couple LFR pieces and some heroic pieces. Some of my items still aren't enchanted because I currently don't have enough gold to buy the enchants/mats.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]