Healing - Overhealing Meters (Mostly PvP)

90 Draenei Shaman
As a Shaman, I never plan on topping healing charts because we have such little overhealing. SO I'm wondering if there is a meter addon out there that tracks effective healing (healing - overhealing) so I can better gauge how I'm doing in HPS and such. Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/11/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Totums
As a Shaman, I never plan on topping healing charts because we have such little overhealing. SO I'm wondering if there is a meter addon out there that tracks effective healing (healing - overhealing) so I can better gauge how I'm doing in HPS and such. Thanks for the help!

All modern healing meters only track effective healing. Recount, Skada, TinyDPS, and World of Logs all show effective healing only.

(Skada has an additional mode called Total Healing that will show your total healing broken down into effective and overheal. It's actually pretty neat. You can get the same information, displayed somewhat differently, from World of Logs' Analyze feature. But the default "Healing Done" display for all meters is effective only.)
Edited by Kaels on 2/11/2013 1:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/11/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Totums
I'm wondering if there is a meter addon out there that tracks effective healing (healing - overhealing) so I can better gauge how I'm doing in HPS and such.

This is how healing meters work by default. Recount and Skada are the most common ones - I use Recount.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
By the way, meters in PvP are even more meaningless than in PvE. Even damage meters in PvP are of questionable value (I can top the BG scoreboard by just dotting every nameplate I see, but that's, like, the dumbest way to PvP ever.) Range is a major issue for third-party meters in BGs, and combat detection for PvP is wonky. Scoreboards don't count absorbs. And no meter is going to show that perfectly timed GHW - Cleanse - Tremor Totem combo on the FC as he dove through a phalanx of six enemies at the gate to score the winning cap.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/11/2013 01:21 PMPosted by Kaels
By the way, meters in PvP are even more meaningless than in PvE

This, very much this. PvE has much more consistent damage patterns. There are too many things you do in PvP that do not show on meters. I would much rather a PvP heals be clutch in tossing out a well timed CC than top a meter. Its all about timing and doing things in clutch moments than ramping up some magical meter number.

This applies to overhealing too. Damage comes and goes in bursts in pvp. Overhealing is a completely different concept than it is in PvE. I don't really care and most likely won't even realize if you overheal me. I will be really aware if you can't do the right thing at the right time to help keep me alive. And if you can do those things, meter hoes can piss off. You will be who I would want to play with.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/11/2013 01:21 PMPosted by Kaels
By the way, meters in PvP are even more meaningless than in PvE. Even damage meters in PvP are of questionable value (I can top the BG scoreboard by just dotting every nameplate I see, but that's, like, the dumbest way to PvP ever.) Range is a major issue for third-party meters in BGs, and combat detection for PvP is wonky. Scoreboards don't count absorbs. And no meter is going to show that perfectly timed GHW - Cleanse - Tremor Totem combo on the FC as he dove through a phalanx of six enemies at the gate to score the winning cap.

All very true. I just rarely ever top healing done in an RBG and am wondering if that is par for the course or if I could get better at healing =/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/11/2013 01:30 PMPosted by Totums
All very true. I just rarely ever top healing done in an RBG and am wondering if that is par for the course or if I could get better at healing =/

Its pointless and can vary so much from game to game. You could be healing a FC where your offense just happens to be shutting down the other team in mid. You could be helping guard a node that isn't being attacked. So many different situations.

Good pvp'rs will recognize what you are doing when it counts. They will see who is saving their bacon. Trust me, that well timed monster GHW is noticed. That dispelled deep before I got crushed is noticed. If you play with people that do not see that, they are really not very good at seeing what is going on around them.

Think of it like this. You could glyph riptide and run around a bg tossing out hots and keeping healing rain all over the place. It won't stop people from dying but it will generate meter numbers. But keeping people alive against all odds is such an obvious thing to those you are saving and it wins games.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
How much healing are you doing? Are you guarding a base with someone or constantly moving to different areas?

I've been in some RBGS where I barely did 3 million but have had others well I had well over 10 million because I was constantly going from base to base. I wouldn't worry about topping the meters in a PvP environment at all as long as your team is living and you're winning. Topping the meters doesn't make you a good healer, and being near the bottom doesn't make you a bad one.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]