Healer comps: the good, the bad, the pally

90 Pandaren Monk
I've been thinking a bit about healing class comps, from a 10 man point of view. I think its really important to know the strengths and weaknesses of each class (as well as player) and build your healing corps around this. I emphasize that these are strengths and weaknesses, not niches (yes, a Monk or a Holy Priest could tank heal, just that if you have a Holy Paladin you're better off making him tank heal instead).

Strengths:

Disc - ever since Blizz made our health pools huge relative to healing done, Disc has been amazing for progression. Absorbs really help against raidwide burst damage mechanics.

Holy Priest - Alas, Holy Priests are still a cross between a poor man's Resto Druid and a Disc Priest without absorbs. I think the idea is to be a throughput healer with more reliable burst. It just doesn't work out in practice very well, especially since Disc is OP. Until 5.2, there just isn't much justification to bring a Holy Priest.

Holy Pally - Their strength lies in Beacon of Light. This gives them a lot of efficiency while tank or triage healing.

Shaman - I'm not as familiar as Shaman, but they seem to do all their best work when the group is stacked up. They're like a Paladin with a bit more emphasis on group healing rather than single target.

Druid - Druids are stabilizers. They provide high throughput and can easily reach everyone in the raid. Great when there's constant damage on the whole raid.

Monk - Monks seem to have roughly the same strengths as a Druid, stabilizing throughput that isn't limited by spreading mechanics, and great when there's constant damage going out.

Weaknesses:

Disc Priest - they really need someone to back up their absorbs with real healing.

Holy Priest - They're best assigned to one role in the group based on their Chakra, and that usually works out to be raid healing. Their real weakness though, is triage.

Holy Pally - Needs the most help with healing spread out groups.

Shaman - Similar to Pallies, they seem to need help when the group is spread out.

Druid - Needs the most support when there's burst damage.

Monk - also needs a bit of support when there's burst damage.

Some comps seem to not work very well. It becomes clear what you should probably add as the 3rd healer to such comps (or what to avoid when 2 healing). Doubles of the same spec are obviously not ideal.

Disc/Holy Paladin: The Holy Pally has to concentrate too much on backing up the Disc Priest's absorbs, and/or the Disc concentrates too much on real healing instead of absorbs. Add: Druid or Monk.

Disc/Shaman: seems like it would be great while stacked, but might struggle a bit when the group spreads out. Add: Druid or Monk.

Disc and Druid/Monk: might struggle a little with tank healing, although Disc is a fine tank healer. Add: Hpally or Shaman.

Hpriest/Hpally - needs to watch out for mechanics that prevent one of the healers from healing, like MC's. Add: Druid, Monk, or possibly Shaman.

Hpriest/Druid/Monk - Probably need to put the Druid or Monk on the tank, so the Hpriest can stay in Sanctuary. Doesn't let the Druid/Monk concentrate on their strength. Add: Hpally or Shaman.

Hpally/Shaman - Probably pretty weak when the group spreads out. Add: Druid, Monk, possibly Holy Priest.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Weaknesses:

Druid - Needs the most support when there's burst damage.

i disagree with that specially in 10man cause the way i heal if theirs a burst dmg i have people already back at like 90% like that idk about other druids but yea

Hpally/Druid or Druid/Rshaman are my favorites combos

hate any kind of priest heals they just lame and don't do anything specially disc and monks i don't like much either
Edited by Nillie on 2/11/2013 5:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/11/2013 05:17 AMPosted by Nillie
hate any kind of priest heals they just lame and don't do anything specially disc

You are bad.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
02/11/2013 05:17 AMPosted by Nillie
hate any kind of priest heals they just lame and don't do anything specially disc and monks i don't like much either

Wat?

My absolute favorite co-healer is a Disc priest.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Eon
I kinda lol'd that apparently every healing class is bad paired with a disc priest according to OP.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Except for the extreme bleeding edge, any healer comp will work. We double shaman healed h ragnaros in 10 man. Granted it was post nerf but still. Like i said, outside of bleeding edge it does not matter.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
02/11/2013 07:29 AMPosted by Sadiemay
Except for the extreme bleeding edge, any healer comp will work. We double shaman healed h ragnaros in 10 man. Granted it was post nerf but still. Like i said, outside of bleeding edge it does not matter.

Pretty much. The only reason certain comps may be less desirable these days is due to loot distribution. Mistweavers, u no take mah leathers!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm no raid healer by any means, but I like to think about it like you have stabilizers, toppers and absorbers. Now, all of the classes have some of each, but we all know who does what best. Following this logic, you have some obvious comps at first...

Disc/Druid/Pally
Disc/Druid/Sham
Disc/Monk/Pally
Disc/Monk/Sham
Disc/Druid/Sham

So you can see I'm calling Disc abosrbers, Pally/Sham toppers, and monk/druid stabilizers. But really everybody does everything at some point :P

Everyone is saying holy is bad. I don't know what to think about that.

The real fun stuff is planning out the cooldowns, like for example, a tranquility is PERFECT for same time as spirit link, but you'd probably not want to use Revival during link.... Since tranq needs that few seconds to really kick in and that is what link provides. But Revival does not require that. But also like you can use spirit link to give the druid breathing space to spread the blooms in tree of life as well, and just save ascendance all together and stuff. Stuff like that is what makes or breaks a healing team.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It seems to me that you have never seen a really good Holy Paladin - you're missing out. :)

Riôt
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
What game are you playing where Resto Druids bring "high throughput"? And where may I obtain a copy?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Shaman strengths - an oh crap button for every situation except for "need a massive up front absorb to make the raid live", mana tide makes co-healers very happy.

We heal disc/shaman with druid as the switch heals.

We experimented with monk heals and found them lacking in the utility department (and the control department).
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
With Disc/Pally/X the third healer is going to look terrible on the charts regardless of how good they are.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/11/2013 05:12 AMPosted by Ramayana
Alas, Holy Priests are still a cross between a poor man's Resto Druid and a Disc Priest without absorbs.

See, this is why people have thought Holy priests are bad since...well, at least Wrath. You keep thinking of us as some kind of poor man's druid. A Holy priest is not a druid because we have spread heals and HoTs, any more than a monk is a paladin because they can heal 2 targets at once. A Holy priest is a Holy priest.

We are:
- Strongest when the raid is spread out within the same room/area. We really love split groups of 5. That's when Cascade is amazing and PoH trumps even Healing Rain.
- Most efficient when a lot of people are hurt a lot.
- Truly awe-inspiring when a lot of people suddenly start taking a whole lot of damage and might die. Divine Hymn is God. It makes Tranq cry.
- Excellent when one target is getting hurt a whole lot over a short period. That's when GS + a Serendipity rotation in Serenity is the best thing since TW UF GHW.
- Surprisingly good on heavy spikes of damage to 2-3 people including ourselves. Nef 10 p2? Pwned. Gara'jal? Cake. Beth 10 on top? The only fight in FL where I actually chose Holy.
- Most useful when we can burst-and-recover. Smiting in Chastise costs almost zero mana, and we can pull off 70-80% of the damage of a real DPS for the time that we're DPSing.
- Weakest on scattered moderate damage. That's a druid/monk specialty, with paladins/shamans close behind them; we can handle it but we're not big fans.
- May struggle on heavy sustained damage to a subset of the raid that can't be predicted before the fight (e.g. Sha).

Does any of that sound like a druid? No. Maybe the first and third. The rest is unique...a little shaman-like, but with complementary positioning preferences.

The end result is that we actually work pretty well with just about anyone. For druids and monks, we provide the clutch. For paladins, we provide the spread. For Disc, we provide the recovery. And for shamans...well, a shaman/holy priest combo has the best clutch heals and cooldowns in the game bar none, works well in any raid position and transitions seamlessly between them, and might not keep you topped off but will damn well keep you alive. Always my favourite combo on the priest side (for three expansions now). I'm about to be the shaman end of shaman/priest when I get geared up, and I can't wait. And I'm hoping the priest goes Holy in 5.2.

And for 3-healing, you can slot a Holy priest into literally any comp and not regret it. What do you usually want from your third healer? Probably not spamming overheals and sniping in the easy phases. No, you want cooldowns and burst power for the hard bits that you can't get through with 2. So bring a Holy priest. Keep them in Chastise and enjoy keeping 70-80% of the damage of their Shadow spec until you need their heals...then have them switch to Sanctuary and unleash the divine volcano that is a Holy priest without mana constraints.
Edited by Kaels on 2/11/2013 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
What Kaels said.

Holy priests have VERY good HPS, especially for raid-wide damage. My alt priest chooses nothing other than holy for fights like Garalon. Any time Echo of Light has some time to work (ie: when people aren't at 100% very often), Holy priests just dominate. Circle of Healing is unique and quite bursty. Same thing with bursting people to full with a PoH + Divine Insight PoM. Cascade is just ridiculous when people are spread out.

Don't let 5.1 disc overpoweredness cloud your thoughts.

Holy priests have an UNPRECEDENTED ability to recover the raid from severe damage. They can get their temporary throughput to insane levels, almost like how an arcane mage can spend extra mana for extra throughput NOW! When the raid needs heals yesterday, the holy priest is your answer.
Edited by Dekkar on 2/11/2013 12:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/11/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Dekkar
Any time Echo of Light has some time to work (ie: when people aren't at 100% very often), Holy priests just dominate.

Yeah, that's another reason I like working with shamans. We're both OK with leaving a little space for the HoTs to work. And unlike druids/monks, we're also both cool with letting people drop a bit lower to make space for our direct heals.

I think everyone works well with Holy, but shamans are amazing complements.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've noticed problems with our 2 heal comp of disc/paly especially on spread heal fights. While we're just running normals and are downing bosses fairly easy, I feel as if there's a hole in our healing that neither of us are filling and it worries me. In addition, we run with 5 people on the same token set and 1 on another so I'm considering a new healer in 5.2 for the better of the group. As shaman is our third healer on some fights, I'm thinking monk or druid. Which would mesh better with a disc priest? Or should I just suck it up and stick with disc/paladin? Thanks for any replies.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/11/2013 07:00 AMPosted by Pipikaula

Wat?

My absolute favorite co-healer is a Disc priest.

not mines i hate them so much disc shield oh boy thats not real healing be at least be holy
Reply Quote
65 Dwarf Shaman
its called 10man bro you heals not shields you 25man u want disc

no baddie here

I think part of my brain died reading this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

You are bad.

its called 10man bro you heals not shields you 25man u want disc

no baddie maybe know what works better for me 10 man

Um. Hmm.

*checks armory, looks at progression*

Oh. That explains it.

Carry on. Nothing to see here, guys. Just a troll.
Edited by Tiriél on 2/11/2013 1:49 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]