DP or Holy Avenger?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello, pally forums. I love my ret pally atm but I got to say that sustainted dmg is a little ridiculous. With Time Warp and all my cooldowns I can break 100k DPS in my gear...but then I go down and my DPS will drop to almost 50k. Anyway I was curious should I possibly be switching to DP for a little bit better sustained, although I realize that it's all luck based.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I run with DS and it's pretty decent.

If you don't mind relying on RNG, then it's a pretty fun talent.

I've had it proc 8 times in a row, but i've also gone 2+ minutes without seeing it proc a single time. So, like you said, it's entirely based on luck.

If anything, it's a nice way to keep Inq up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Divine Purpose is mathematically not the best for maximum damage output, although I don't know how big the difference is (probably not that big, though). If you're not good at using cooldowns when you should (or you just don't like them like me), DP is an okay choice. Just don't expect to see an increase in overall damage by switching to it.
Edited by Keten on 2/11/2013 2:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
I run with DP unless I'm playing quick burst 2s arena. I find that cooldowns are prone to be misplaced and require too wide time frame of application to be useful 100% and you do much lower damage inbetween. Meanwhile DP supplies me with relatively constant amount of procs which are always there.

I feel though that for high level PvE/PvP coordinated cooldown usage is more important so maybe there DP lacks predictability. But on casual level I think it's just much more fun to use DP. BGs, dungeouns. There is nothing more satisfying than 5 procs in a row in AoE situation, or in heat of battle on BG.
Edited by Silverbolt on 2/11/2013 5:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Divine Purpose is not the answer to any dps related problems, as far as raiding concerned ( which I assume is your focus ), I haven't found a fight where it is worthwhile to take this.

Sanctified Wrath is the highest simming talent choice, however, Holy Avenger is close with/without the 4 piece, I use HA on fights where I won't get the full benefit from SW.

Either way, you will swap these out depending on the fight, there is no set way to go. From personal experience, DP is terrible for dungeons and raiding.

If you are trying to increase your dps, I strongly advise you look at your gemming/reforging choice, your stat weights don't strongly favor haste at this point, and you can get utilize proper reforging to get appropriate hit/exp levels and more strength from gemming.

Sustained damage isn't that bad overall, but we are fairly gear dependent. You will notice a smooth increase at higher haste levels and with a not so terrible weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you are trying to increase your dps, I strongly advise you look at your gemming/reforging choice, your stat weights don't strongly favor haste at this point, and you can get utilize proper reforging to get appropriate hit/exp levels and more strength from gemming..

Pretty much this. I'd suggest you read the sticky, as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]